IDF M88 and M88A1 Information

After many online searches I haven’t been able to find much information about the M88 or M88a1 ARV in Israeli service. I’m hopeful that some of the many member IDF enthusiasts can share some of their knowledge. To be honest, I have a couple of AEF Designs M88 accessories that have accumulated dust for a very long time. (Hilarious laughter cheerfully accepted and reciprocated.) I’ve always had an interest in IDF vehicles, and in the 80’s and 90’s Tony Englehart operated AEF Designs and produced numerous IDF conversions and accessories, which was basically the only source IDF items other than Accurate Armour. AEF’s reputation suffered greatly from complaints of poor quality and customer service. I shared similar issues, but was fortunate to occasionally find something usable. Most resin kit parts require some extra level of effort anyway. This brings me to the main questions. I have the AEF IDF M88 interior, external winch accessory, and the unusual M88 Blazer ERA set. I know it’s not avisable to say “never” about IDF ingenuity, but were ERA blocks ever actually added to the front and sides of their M88’s? Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much to everyone who has the interest and patience to read or reply to this post.
Best regards,
Pete Bruno

2 Likes

I think their MRVs are M88A1s. WHich I think (not sure) are or were replaced by Merkava ARVs.

:point_up: Look over here…

4 Likes

Thank you for the very interesting picture. I hope no one was injured in the Merkava. Good teamwork by the Puma and M88 crews with the M88 stabilizing plow dug into the mud.

2 Likes

Look at the Merkava… No MGs, no hatches, no tank optics… It looks like an old, stripped down Merkava Mk1, so my guess is that this is a training scenario.

3 Likes

I think you’re right. The Merkava has seen better days.

1 Like

You can even see the thermal sleeve on the main gun is missing…

:point_up: Bovington Tank Museum’s own Merkava Mk1 for comparison.

3 Likes

You have a good eye for detail on the Merkava hulk. I missed all that until you kindly pointed it out.

2 Likes

And the Puma acting like an anchor to make sure the Merkava does not shift or slam hard to the ground once it is flipped right side up.

2 Likes

It looks like you found a good way to use the old Tamiya Merkava 1 kit. Do you think anyone would notice the kit’s faults under all that mud? I’d still like to know if ERA blocks were ever used on IDF M88s. Do you have an opinion or information about that?

1 Like

No ERA Blocks used on the M88A1. As for the Tamiya kit? Yes; it would be much better than using a Takom kit.

2 Likes

I’ve been skeptical about AEF M88 blocks but why would they produce them in the first place? The blocks are all flat with no stand-off mounting instructions. Maybe Passive instead of Explosive? Who knows where AEF got their concept for them? The AEF owner used to produce Hollywood Alien miniatures and I think some models for IDF recognition.

1 Like

A little pricey but it covers IDF M88s:

Accurate Armor also makes a small conversion set. I’ve got one but I can’t remember where I hid it from myself.

4 Likes

Thank you for pointing out the Desert Eagle book. I have several, but not the ARV/Wrecker book. Does it cover earlier configurations of the M88 or does it focus on the latest version with bar armor? The Accurate Armour IDF conversion set is not in stock at Wanamaker Hobbies now, but it looks better detailed than the AEF Designs version I have. I’m not able to order direct from Accurate Armour because my bank can process only US currency transactions. I’ll do the best I can with the AEF Designs set I have. Thanks again for your interest.

2 Likes

Can your sharp eyes make out what type of track is on the M88? I think I see end connectors but the visible inward track faces seem to show quite a bit of metal under all the mud. Could they possibly be Merkava instead of T142 or T97, or am I hallucinating? Don’t worry, you won’t hurt my feelings. I have a lot to learn. The standing soldier giving directions has body armor and a rifle slung on his chest in this realistic training exercise.

1 Like

The Merkava hull and turret are used for training of crews.

The IDF M88 use T107, T142 and Merkava tracks depending on the time frame.

Also depending on the time frame one can build a vehicle using the AFV Club kit OOB, with the Accurate Armor modification set and then proceed to madness and do the Doghouse and bar armor…

m88_02

Notice the retainer ring for the track on the sprocket here

Some more photos

M88-arv-reseve-brg-jordan-valley-division-idfm-1

159795686_753729545531662_4034770895563110311_n

7 Likes

What a treasure trove of Israeli M88 pictures!!! I had spent many hours searching the internet and only come across one of them before, and that one had been posted on this forum. Thank you so much for sharing such excellent photos. I greatly appreciate the time you spent to post them. With such a wealth of source material I’ll spend a great deal of time scrutinizing them for unique details to incorporate on the IDF M88a1 kit I’m working on. Merkava tracks will definitely used. I’m still perplexed by the AEF Designs IDF M88 Blazer ERA blocks. Where could Tony Englehart have come up with documentation for them? He was evidently ahead of his time with bar armor now being added. With all the images you provided there’s no reason to dwell on them any further. They would just have been a unique addition to the M88a1. You might have seen my other post about an IDF Diesel recovery halftrack that will be a companion to the M88. If I live long enough I might add an M578 or M32.:blush: Thank you once again for your invaluable help. I have read and thoroughly enjoyed many of your posts on this website helping others with their questions and discussing your own projects.
Best regards,
Pete

2 Likes

It was an Defense Expo display if I recall correctly. Having explosive tiles on a vehicle that’s meant to operate with personnel around it is not a very good idea I think, the bar armor might be a better option.

A good source of photos for M88 and other utility vehicles of the IDF is this page, but one has to do some serious scrolling to get all the photos:

4 Likes

That’s an excellent point about explosive tiles so close to personnel. No Blazer tiles will be on my M88!!! It’s no longer relevant but I could be mistaken about the AEF tiles. They might represent Passive instead of Explosive tiles. The “instruction” drawing shows them mounted directly on the hull, without any stand-off bolts. As far as the use of Merkava tracks, the pictures appear to indicate that the M88 suspension and roadwheels are retained. Do Merkava drivewheel sprockets have to be substituted? One more question - in your opinion would an extra set of Fruil Merkava II tracks be appropriate? I know Merkava tracks were used on the M48 and M60 Magachs but I don’t know which tracks were wich. I promise not to impose on you with further novice questions. I just followed the Facebook government organization group you suggested so that should keep me busy and out of your hair. I recently also became a member of the AMPS ISRAEL Facebook group. Thank you very much for all your help.
Pete

2 Likes

Yes you will need Merkava sprockets as well. Modifying the AFV Club sprocket hubs might need some careful thinking and planning. I have done it on an AFV Club M60 to add Merkava tracks but I need to check the M88 kit hubs if it can be done.

Tracks suitable for the M88

To be honest I know very little stuff about M88 so I am not the best person to ask about m88 details.

1 Like

Thanks for the fast reply. You gave me all the M88 information I need. I have an extra ATL-66 set and plan to use Merkava II sprockets from my spares box when I get to that point. Have a great weekend. Enjoy working on your projects.

3 Likes