IJN Musashi

Very nice work. It is great to see a Ship/Model come to life with some Colour laid down…Cheers Mark

Deck is on and boy was it a tale of two halves. The stern section went on really well, no major issues at all. The bow section on the other hand. Lets just way it was a fight. I had to do some major trimming on the fly to get it to settle down and there are still some parts I am not 100% happy with. But with all things one has to know when to stop fighting it and just accept what’s there.

Next will be the decals for the hull and stern deck area plus some pastels on the deck so it doesn’t look so pristine.

8 Likes

Starting to take shape very nicely indeed. Sometime you have to live with little things like the Deck or it get you tied down…Cheers mark

Small update. Went ahead and dirtied up the deck with some pastels. No idea why I have never tried this before but I am a huge fan of this method as opposed to using the airbrush. Tons more control and do worry about overspray.

You can see the difference in color between the original wood piece and how it is now.

5 Likes

Nice work with the deck, Rory.

Looks like Musashi’s crew had better get back on the job!
:weary:

2 Likes

Hahahaha! That deck looks much grimier than mine. May have to do some adjustment :wink:

1 Like

Just a PSA for anyone else who comes across this thread when they are doing their Musashi. In the 2013 boxing (which is what I am using) you get some linoleum strips which are placed on the aft flight area.

THESE ARE NOT DECALS! They are, in-fact, stickers. This is something I have never come across in a Tamiya kit. I only discovered this once I had gone through the whole dipping in water process and they refused to react. This made working with them a bit difficulty since the backing was now wet and soggy. You also have to cut them out exactly along the edges, again made harder by the backing paper being all mushy.

Still, I got them on in the end.

5 Likes

Well, came out ok, looks good, nice effort.

Mark :beer:

This is one impressive build Rory… Really enjoy watching these behemoth’s get built up. Great work with the etch and that decking. :+1:

Very nice effect on the Deck really looks good…Cheers Mark

Hi Rory,

The dirtying effect on the deck looks very nice indeed, very effective.

Cheers

Si

Rory,

just catching up here - fantastic work! The wooden deck looks spot on. And what a beast that ship was…

Cheers
Jan

Well its been around 3 months since I last touched Musashi. Been battling modelers fatigue something fierce but I think (fingers crossed) I am coming out of it.

Started work on the main superstructure and its coming along nicely. Some filler was needed for the joins but nothing too major.

Still tons of work to do. Haven’t started any of the main PE work which looks a bit fiddly. Still, even the test fit really starts to make her look the business.

Got to crack on and get her finished up before the end of the year. Need to clear the slipways for a major project.

10 Likes

Great to see you back on the boards, Rory! :blush:

Musashi is a great way to overcome that modellers fatigue :slightly_smiling_face:

That feeling when you finish some PE work and you KNOW that you have to get it painted and on the kit immediately or it will get damaged. The front superstructure fell into that category.

Safely attached. Some small gaps which will be dealt with later.

7 Likes

Real progress, Rory, and that etch is looking great under the paint!

A question:

How did guys get to those little platforms on the aft side of the tower - were there doors from inside, or maybe ladders on the exterior?

2 Likes

Thats a really good question? That didnt even register for me. No doors on the plastic parts or indicated on the PE. If I have any left after the build (which I should) I will go back and add them.

According to the drawings I have has the small middle platform some stepirons toward the upper windows-like opening of the rear bridge. The other two bigger, left and right platforms however seems to be not usually intended to be accessible

Hope this helps :saluting_face:

It does. Means I wont be putting in any un-necessary hatches on the ship :slight_smile:

1 Like

The PE is looking great Rory… Very intricate and super detailed… To small for my Troll like fingers lol… Great work and it’s looking the dogs :blush: