I'm a Movie Star Group Build

I wouldn’t say never. Wait long enough and someone will inevitably make one.

Been a while since I’ve seen the film, but from what I remember NOVA Labs were surprisingly well equipped!

Sort of. D-Toys, D-Vision, Def make the Korean version in resin.

1 Like

Going through some sreenprints I made of that movie, I noticed they used different tanks…

In the scenes about the Kasserine pass you see a tank without a bow gun or a machine gun on the turret…

There is one tank with a machine gun on top but no bow gun.

And there is one without a top machine gun but with a bow gun and a dead German on it…

There’s one with sand bags…

Later on you see one with only 1 spare wheel…

They seem to have been stripped from the tools…

But the main thing… all of them are without those extra benzine or water jerryans, the holders are empty…

So, not only this one will be without extra stowage, I will even have to remove some of the “standard” stowage… shock… horror…
And I still have to get German decals…

3 Likes

You can use the M51 racks from Dragon, which molds the racks and water cans separately.

The rear stowage rack is available in 3D print form on Shapeways.

I have two versions; the PE one.

And the styrene version.

And the 3D printed rear stowage basket.

I got this plus an improved travel lock from RanchFX.

Here’s a sharper image of an M51 similar to the one in the movie.

5 Likes

Made a start on the Gnat (or as I should be calling it the Fallus tactical fighter :smile:).
First job, tidy up the fuselage halves and cockpit parts. Then painted the intake trunking with some aluminium.

I have noticed a lot more flash and imperfections than the last time I built one soon after it’s release. I think Airfix have popped out so many of these over the last couple of years, the moulds are already showing wear.

To fill up the cockpit I’ve taken the pilot from the Revell-Monogram F-4J. He’s a perfect fit for the seat and hopefully won’t need any altering. A test of all the cockpit parts should prove that theory one way or another.

5 Likes

5 Likes

6 Likes

Loved that moment the first time I saw it!
I don’t know where you find room for 500,lb bomb in a Gnat. There’s barely room for the two crewmen!

1 Like

The movie was just hilarious from beginning to end.

5 Likes

Hate to be that guy but I guess we will be having 2 pink submarines. 1/144 USS Gato with parts to update to a Balaeo Class which is shown in the movie painted pink.

6 Likes

Welcome aboard.

Looking good Stephen. My Airfix memories always included flash. I thought that was a standard feature. :wink:

Welcome to the build Paul.

Some in depth research of the subject there Bert. Great to see you getting so involved.

Made a start on my Humber too. Nothing spectacular so far. I will be depicting the front wheels in turn for some visual effect.

I need to smooth the join lines on the axle ends, but no need for anything else, as there is a huge armoured plate to go over everything else you see.

3 Likes

I know it was asked, but we’re “crossover” builds allowed with other GBs on here. I’m finding myself getting over ambitious with GBs here this year… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Sorry Carlos. You can post here if you want a broader audience, but :

And of course, the leader of the other build has to agree to you posting in both build threads.

It has been a general rule of pretty much any build on the site. There have been occasions where the build leader forgot to add it to the rules, but the implication is always there.

1 Like

Progress so far on the Balao conversion…

The new fairwater is shorter for the Balao so some minor surgery and then filling with styrene sheet and some Mr putty for the gaps. I’ll come back and describe the deck later.

5 Likes

Glad it is you re-scribing that deck, not me…

1 Like

No worries Peter :wink:
The other one definitely qualifies for here, so I’ll post it here as well. But I’ll choose something exclusively for this GB.

1 Like

Great Carlos. You do great work and I’m glad you’ll still be with us.

I have begun a little research on my kit - the Revell “Das Boot” limited edition kit. Looks like a nice kit.

The actual U-boat in the film was three separate things:
A separate conning tower,
A full interior of the submarine that could turn 45 degrees to each side and up and down.
Finally a prop uboat that could sail in real water with a small boat on the inside.

Here are some reference movie pictures I found.

As I write this up - it strikes me - I am building a type VII as depicted in the movie.
BUT there was no real type VII in the movie. Technically my build is not a movie star as they never used a real type VII.

Does it still qualify? If not, no problem. I got other movie stars in my stash. :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The Leader will decide, but as you’re building the boat as it appears in the movie I can’t see any problem with it being based on something that wasn’t a real, complete U-boat!

[EDIT: But wouldn’t it be cool if you built the floating prop, complete with the smaller boat inside? :grin: ]

2 Likes