I'm a Movie Star Group Build

Sorry, but it has to be a new project.

The intent of a group build is to encourage people to build a model so other people can see the progress, ask questions about the kit or how you did a certain feature, answer any questions you may have, and give help and advice if needed.

1 Like

This guy will become Tom Cruise. I’m guessing it’s 3D printed—the detail is impressive.

4 Likes

Maybe the master was 3D printed but those are resin castings.

Gotcha. It’s a riddle to me how they get something cast with this level of detail and internal voids!

1 Like

Okay, build complete. Got carried away and forgot to take a few in between shots.

Not having to worry about the interior bits, this went fairly fast, although the fit of some parts was not the best. This is one of Bronco’s earlier kits.

Some filling where the mirror mounts go as the ne in the film has none. Also had to scratch build the fender extensions, and handles, as well as find some suitable headlights from the spares box to fit the movie vehicle appearance. I filled the slit in the headlight cover then scribed in a new one slightly higher.

Damaged both rear handles whet trying to get them off the sprue - they are tiny. Ended up just scratch building a couple. Also had to remove the vertical bar on the fender rear. That is a location fitting for the fuel tank racks which the movie vehicle doesn’t have.

These close up pics show some gaps to fill around the hatches still.

8 Likes

The figure that came in this first edition kit looks more like the actual JOE Vandeleur than Michael Caine

… but it will do. With my face painting skills it will still look like Quasimodo anyway.

One thing that definitely needs replacing is the binoculars. The kit figure has Opera Glasses…

6 Likes

Maybe at the end of a hard day’s filming he likes to unwind with a bit of Verdi?.. :grin:

2 Likes

Not as much done this weekend as I would’ve liked.
Got the wings together.

Got the cockpit painted. Not going to bother doing anything much in the rear pit. The 2 seater Gnats had a removable cover placed across the back to give the impression of being a single seater. Just the tops of the seats were visible.

And applied the front instrument panel decal. I thought I would try Vallejo’s Decal Fix to see how it works. You put a drop on the surface, then the decal over the top. Did the job but I don’t think it has any benefit over Microsol and Set. It might work well with older decals that have lost some adhesion over time.

6 Likes

Paint and decals down. I used Mike Starmer’s SCC 15 mix and over sprayed it with a muddy brown colour I had left over from painting a dio base. Very thin so as to tint the panels, rather than colour the model. Looks quite like the one in the film when you see it in the …plastic.

The Guards Armoured decal is one of Archers newer no decal film ones, the Arm of service is also their’s, but an older rub down type. I’m gonna miss them now they are gone. The Squadron diamond in blue was sprayed on. The Guards units are said to have had a white number inside this from 1-20 (or possibly 30) and there is a white ‘smudge’ on the vehicle in the film. No idea what it is and with no information, I can get away with what I want! :grin:

Some detail painting up next.

5 Likes

Easing forward with my pair of Corsairs from Devotion. :wave:

6 Likes

With double drop tanks? Each one of the Corsairs in the movie seemed to have them…

Proper test fit of Topper Harley in the seat. Perfect fit! If it wasn’t for the fact that the figure is moulded for a different kit, by a different manufacturer, in a different decade, I would swear he was custom made for the Airfix Gnat.

5 Likes

Cover for the rear cockpit made and fitted. This was just cut from a section of plastic tube and trimmed to fit. Looking at photos and clips, there does seem to have been some minor variation in these covers. Some of the non-flying aircraft (including some large scale models) used in close up shots on the ground seemed to have had the rear seat removed and full length cover fitted. The flyer’s had only a partial cover extending to the head rest of the seat. I went with this version.

This also looks like a good place to hide some weight. There’s very little room anywhere else to put any. The Gnat really is a tiny jet!

5 Likes

Looking good Stephen. Nice when something goes to plan. The figure is a great fit.

FYI, the reason they are different is because one of the ones used in the ground scenes is actually a Hindustan Aircraft Industries HF-24 Ajeet. It was a purpose built single seat version of the Gnat built under license.

It is the one at the back in this pic:

2 Likes

Yeah spotted it in a couple of shots in the background. They might’ve only had the one. Special Hobby’s Gnat F1 prototype has the markings for this one too. Got that one somewhere.

They also used an ex-Haitian Air Force Marchetti S211 for some air-air shots. It’s most obvious in this scene.

Lots of others types can be seen in the background if you close. Some F-4S’ and QF-100’s. For a silly comedy, there’s a lot for the aircraft spotter!

1 Like

We need to rebrand this campaign “spot the continuity error”! :slight_smile:

Oh the magic of Hollywood…

5 Likes

Well in the first film they dropped a bomb right in Saddam Hussein’s lap and he’s alive in the sequel! Although that might explain the liquid metal bit?

2 Likes

…and people get paid to ensure continuity is there… talk about ‘money for jam’…

2 Likes

Not much but a little cleaning up on the molds and painting with leftover primer.

Haven’t given up on Albert yet. Figured if I cannot paint him, Outcast is going to be Outcast x2 and cancelled.

Still need to clean up the bottom of both Outcast pieces and prime again before actually painting.

5 Likes

Finished painting Topper today. I’ll fit him in the seat when the paints dry.

4 Likes