I'm a Movie Star Group Build

Lots of choices there. Quite a few could be done as 'Rat Patrol" vehicles with little to no effort:
https://www.imcdb.org/movie_60018-The-Rat-Patrol.html

1 Like

Today I was able to airbrush on the white coat from above, so that it leaves shadows of the black base as if light was overhead.

did the same for Winston as well…

Next comes the fun part… translucent light coats of color built up… keeping my fingers crossed that I can pull it off properly :crossed_fingers:t3:

8 Likes

Some subject suggestions…
Academy M3 Lee… 1941
Tamiya Kubelwagen… The Longest Day
Tamiya M3 Lee… Sahara
Tamiya M3 Grant… don’t remember any movies besides newsreels featuring a Grant… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Tamiya M8 Greyhound… Guns of Navarone
Tamiya M20 Armored Car… another one I don’t remember seeing in any movie outside a newsreel
Tamiya M41… Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Patton…
Tamiya Willys Jeep… more movies than easily listed… just about any WWII or Korean War movie with US soldiers has one in there somewhere… Patton, The Bridge at Remagen, A Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day, MacArthur, Battleground, The Eagle Has Landed, Hart’s War, Biloxi Blues…

4 Likes

Thank you petbat and and Stikpusher for all the suggestions. As a result of this campaign, I have spent the last few weeks watching bits and pieces of many old, unfamiliar movies and shows, now including The Rat Patrol, on YouTube. Choosing a subject for this campaign is really tough for me because my interest is real history, not Hollywood stuff. I do not watch television, attend movies, or subscribe to Netflix, Also, in the spirit of the campaign, I want to model a vehicle central to a production, not something that shows up for one second in a pan shot.

Lulubelle from the 1943 version of Sahara is glamorous and very true to the spirit of this campaign. When I first read the campaign description she was the very first vehicle that came to mind but I dismissed the idea as too difficult. I have changed my mind and will attempt to cobble together an accurate representation from the three M3 kits and numerous M4 spare parts in my possession. The necessary decals are ordered.

If Lulubelle goes horribly wrong, I will switch to building a Kubelwagen from The Rat Patrol, used by the main antagonist and other German characters throughout the series. Unlike many vehicles used for the show, the Kubelwagen looks historically accurate, wears modest markings, and exhibits realistic signs of wear.

Thank you for bearing with me. This campaign is far outside my wheel house.

In the Rat Patrol link:

Hooper (1978):

Strategic Air Command (1955)

…and the Cult Classic Blues Brothers (1980)

4 Likes

I gave this one strong consideration. There is an even more interesting Hollywood modified M20 with a fake turret off frame to the viewer’s right. The episode revolves around a cease fire that occurs when a little girl panics and falls down a well between the opposing combatants. They team up long enough to save the girl. Unfortunately, the rest of the episode is all Hollywood nonsense.

2 Likes

Today I did the first coat of the British uniform Khaki on the figure

I don’t know how long to let the coats dry, and did not have a long amount of time for the bench today, so I’ll resume tomorrow… so far I really like the look. I started with about a 5 to 3 ratio of glaze medium to paint. Might go for more dilution of the paint next session…

8 Likes

Going to try that technique out myself

1 Like

Tony, after the first coat here, I sure am liking this method. Hoping that the rest goes as well and that i can recognize when good enough is just right. Very unusual to work in this manner instead of a single coat coverage…

3 Likes

I’d like to see how this technique goes as you do more. Very interesting Carlos.

3 Likes

Thanks Peter… so far, so good…

Session two today…

I think that the uniform is good now and I can move on to the next colors…

8 Likes

Todays progress report…
I did the black, khaki, and flesh tones first coat, although I did not yet address the pistol belt khaki color…

Not quite as nice as the demonstration video…

7 Likes

Looking very good Carlos.

1 Like

I am getting started on my “Das Boot” U-96 from Revell. I think it is going to be my first u-boot model in 15-20 years :sweat_smile:

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Das ist Gut…

3 Likes
7 Likes

Great one, Piotr! Talking about hearing the sounds by just looking at the picture. :slight_smile:

Hi everyone! It has been a long time since I posted on my US Coast Guard Hind build, so I thought that I should give an update. A week after I posted my last update in mid -May, I had major (3 1/2 hours worth) hand surgery on my right hand. Yes, I am very strongly right handed! It was expected surgery, not the result of a disagreement with a hobby knife! :joy: I was pretty much out of doing anything with my right hand until early to mid June. I am now getting back into being able to model but my right hand is not very flexible yet so it takes me much longer to do anything on my build. With that said, I am still in this race! I did run into a problem with the two halves of the Hind fuselage not wanting to close, but I plan on muscling through this with the help of a good putty. Anyway, I hope to post progress on my build soon. Have fun modeling!
Mike

7 Likes

Great to see you are on the mend. Looking forward to see your progress. Still 1.5 months before the end date for the build.

1 Like

Hope the recuperation continues Mike.

Watto. :+1:

2 Likes