I'm a Movie Star Group Build

Continuing my Hind build, most of my focus has been on the cockpit and the cabin. I am impressed with the detail and for the most part the ease on how the kit has been going together. I will be having the access doors and cabin doors closed up so most of this detail will not be seen. I am still painting most of the internal stuff as I am not sure what will be seen and it is also good practice when I build a HInd that does have some panels open. I like the way the engine compartment looks with minimum painting and detailing so having this open on a future build is tempting. Anyway, here’s how things look before I close it up within the fuselage halves.

It does bug me a little that my camera keeps shifting the cockpit panel color to a bright blue when it looks the typical Russian turquoise to the eye. Oh, Bother!
Have fun modeling!
Mike

10 Likes

I am considering entering this campaign after finishing up with Not a Tank Destroyer and Unfinished Business. Finding a subject that interests me, lies within my capabilities, will not take too much time, and will not cost much has proven extremely tough. At this point, I have identified a few options.

Plan 9 From Outer Space

Option 1: A jeep with 4.5 inch naval rocket launchers as seen in Plan 9 from Outer Space. This vehicle actually existed but was ultimately abandoned because Jeeps were simply too small to serve as a stable firing platform for the naval bombardment rockets. As best I can tell, Ed Wood simply spliced United States Navy weapon test footage of the test vehicle into his film. This subject would require a jeep, which I already have, scratch built launchers, and scratch built 4.5 inch naval rockets. I have enough pictures of the vehicle to make a decent stab at this.

Option 2: USS Houston, used for a scene near the end of The Hunt for Red October where USS Dallas intentionally becomes the target of a Soviet torpedo, then drops counter measures and breaches to evade it. A number of real Los Angeles class submarines appear in the movie as USS Dallas, but USS Houston is featured in the culminating battle scene. United States attack submarines do not display names, docking markings, or hull numbers accept during work up, which is why all the real submarines playing USS Dallas look almost exactly the same. However, the filming miniature used for underwater scenes of USS Dallas differs from a real Los Angeles class submarine, having a fictitious cruciform tail arrangement. While I do not own a model of USS Houston, they are cheap and readily available. I have a fair number of subs in my collection and would enjoy adding USS Houston which is a real vessel, not a fake movie prop that does not really interest me.

Option 3: A Japanese Ground Self Defense Force T-90 Main Battle Tank as featured in Sengoku Jieitai 1549–Samurai Commando: Mission 1549. Sengoku Jieitai 1549 is a live action movie, based on a Japanese Manga of the same name, about a unit of the Japanese Ground Self Defense Force that accidentally travels back in time while testing equipment to protect military vehicles from electro-magnetic radiation. Traveling to feudal Japan, the unit finds itself in the middle of a battle, part of the Waring States period of Japanese history. While most of the unit returns to the future, the leader of the formation remains behind and begins to change the past, causing disasters in the future. In the future, a new team is assembled to go back in time, find the rogue commander, and stop his actions, thus restoring the future timeline. I already own a model of a T-90 tank used in the movie which wears standard JGSDF markings, making this an easy and cheap choice for the campaign.

I will keep looking for other possibilities.

6 Likes

Oh my vote is for Option 3, the Type-90 tank. That storyline sounds like great fun.

1 Like

Me to; especially if it is covered with Samurai Tank Riders…
:grin:
Cheers,

M

2 Likes

Option 3 is not dissimilar to he Final Countdown… Not the follow up, but that a modern weapon (Aircraft carrier) travels back in time (just before Pearl Harbor) . If you add a samurai, that would be great!

2 Likes

It also sounds a bit like Brian Daley’s 1977 book “Doomfarers of Coramonde”, where a M113 crew from 'Nam somehow wind up in a fantasy world.

John Birmingham’s “Axis of Time” series follows the same general theme; a small fleet of modern day ships is transported back to just before the Battle of Midway. Their presence, knowledge and influence changes the path of WW2.

1 Like

All great ideas but option 3 is really unique!

1 Like

I likely won’t be participating in this campaign, but it would be incredibly cool to see someone make a tank from an older movie, but beginning with the vehicle the movie used and modifying the kit in the way the movie made. For example, making a leopard kit into a “panther” from A Bridge to Far.

1 Like

The pic I posted earlier:

Tom has already finished a build taking an older kit and modifying it with scratch built parts to look like a move prop:

3 Likes

Seeing someone attempt a soviet war movie propo tank would be cool.

2 Likes

Personally I love that breaching sub! Talk about a wild ride…

2 Likes

Oh you could do Option 3 and get the 2 Tamiya Samurai Warriors sets to put around the tank! That would look amazing!

1 Like

Been there. It is quite a ride. Starts out somewhere around 400 feet down or deeper if it’s a true emergency, emergency blow the ballast tanks (bow tanks first) puts about thirty degrees up angle on the ship which can upset the cooks greatly. If you happen to be sleeping when they do this, you’ll wind up in a ball at the aft end of your bunk. She picks up speed on her way up. Then after the broach, she goes back down and “porpoises”two or three or more times. Also, Angles and Dangles ~30 degrees up and down, are always “fun” on a submarine. The captain usually does it at least once per run to check “stowage for sea”

4 Likes

The model in my possession is 1/72 scale. In order to go 1/35, I would need a tank (~$45 US) and tracks (~$40 US). With either of the Tamiya special addition figure sets, the total rises to ~$115 US. For that kind of money, I am purchasing a Trumpeter 1/35 F-105 Thunderchief or a 1/350 Polar Lights D7 Battlecruiser instead.

In 1/72 scale, Zvezda makes four Samurai warrior figure sets, all in the right scale with excellent posses. One set has a few sitting Samurai in full armor including a leader figure. However, for a bit less money I could purchase the Los Angeles class submarine.

Youtube hosts the full movie in Japanese–Samurai Commando: Mission 1549. The story and special effects are on par with a better Sci-Fi Channel movie. It was obviously made by people who have never had contact with any real military. The Type 90 tank, operated by soldiers loyal to the rogue commander, only shows up in a couple scenes and gets blown up by an anti-tank missile without doing much of anything. It never even gets dirty. The most important vehicle in the movie is a UH-1? that survives all the way to the end because it has writer armor.

Unfortunately, I do not have the money, time, or figure painting skill to pull off anything complicated.

2 Likes

Just a reminder that there is approx 2.5 months left before the end of the build, in case anyone is still thinking of joining in. I would love to see more people coming aboard. Cheers.

2 Likes

I am still sneaking deep into this campaign later, Herr Kaleun. :smile:

1 Like

Well today I got off my butt and got the arms glued onto my Beachmaster.

Next up is gonna be a white coat from overhead, then painting trying a new technique…

5 Likes

I still cannot decide what to build for this campaign.

What would you like to build? I bet there is a movie or tv show that features most any subject.

If possible, I want to build something from my stockpile in 1/35 scale requiring minimal additional items.

After many forays into the Internet Movie Cars Database, these seem like good candidates:
Academy M3 Lee
Tamiya Kubelwagen
Tamiya M3 Grant
Tamiya M3 Lee
Tamiya M8 Armored Car
Tamiya M20 Armored Car
Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog
Tamiya Willys Jeep

All those M3s would probably come together to make a decent Lulubelle but I lack the decals and tracks. It would also require navigating a minefield of M3/M4 accuracy issues and details.

The other vehicles show up in many places, but mostly as window dressing.

A Los Angeles class sub remains the easiest choice of all but would require a purchase. I decided to use the 1/72 Japanese tank for a very different project.

1 Like