In Memoriam – Robert Jan aka “Speedy J”

Amazing detail and realism. Thank you for sharing Luc.
I for one would love to see more of his older and more recent builds. Everything I have seen so far screams out genius !

1 Like

Hello John,

I think you’re lucky… I once had to do a recovery on his hard drive. Guess what, just like Robert, I hardly if ever, throw anything away, including files…lol
He even did a ship once…!

Let me check for a few more pictures…
Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Luc

5 Likes

Thanks Luc, it appears Speedy was annoyingly brilliant with all models he turned his hand to lol. He perfected his art of applying superb detailing down to the smallest area. Finish on that ship is lovely.

3 Likes

Robert was always very interested in train history around the WWII period.

He did loads of diorama building before he came to Thailand.

Super detailed, HO-scale, all scratch built.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Lol… I love that phrase: “annoyingly brilliant”…

He was a very good painter as well. Did some amazing artwork that he mostly gave away to his friends, family and so on.
He could just play with paint and any type of tool to apply that paint onto a surface, creating some amazing pieces of art.

3 Likes

Gifted…

2 Likes

Indeed… this search for pictures got me thinking…
His files early on are very well organized.
So if anyone interested seeing more, I might as well upload them and post a link so people can have a look for themselves.
Will check through them some more. Meanwhile sure let me know your thoughts.

1 Like

Hand raised, please do.

Think it’s indeed a good way to help other people with ideas.
Need to have a look at some disclaimer or if it’s possible to ‘water-mark’ the pictures or anything like that. Just to remember people who made them.

That’s part of the file-folders… about a quarter of them I estimate…

Cheers,
Luc

@Schuimpge Gecondoleerd met dit onverwachte verlies… :cry: Ik heb hem geloof ik wel eens voorbij zien komen, maar heb niet de eer gehad om hem te kennen. Digitaal, laat staan persoonlijk. Wat ik nu voorbij zie komen is echt heel mooi werk, en als ik later groot ben (ben nu nog maar 47 :wink: ) hoop ik ook ooit zulke mooie dingen te kunnen maken. :star_struck:
Sterkte met het verwerken de komende tijd en hopelijk duurt het niet al te lang tot je familie langs mag komen. Ik hoor net dat de boel hier een maand op slot gaat, maar ook dat er vaccins aan zitten te komen. Zou mooi zijn als we vanuit het dal in 1 keer naar de top kunnen klimmen!

2 Likes

Very-very sad news, indeed. Please do share more of his work.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear of your loss, Luc. Thanks for sharing pics of his work.

His loss is felt here among many also. I am fairly new here. I have enjoyed his work and am enjoying the new things being posted that show his talent. I will miss him especially because he was welcoming and helpful to me as a new guy.

Regards,
Phil

1 Like

Dank je wel Erwin, inderdaad, de boel dicht. Helaas nodig met zoveel eigenwijze idioten die denken dat een feestje hier en etentje daar wel moet kunnen. Hoop dat er eindelijk licht aan het eind van de tunnel komt.

Ja, inderdaad. Ik sta iedere keer weer perplex als ik weer hoor dat en stel mafketels een “cororna feestje” houden :open_mouth:
Of de winkelstraten zwart zien van het volk omdat het “black friday” is… En winkeliers klagen dat ze boel dicht moet. Nee, “ze” moeten meer aan spreiding doen. Alsof ze zelf geen partij hierin zijn.

Thanks Phil, Robert could be very impatient with things, but at the same time, he enjoyed helping others to get started…

Thanks RR, I’ll work something out on the sharing. It will be nice to somehow be able to help others with ideas…

Luc,

I was following Robert builds here (and on ML) ever since I got to know him- almost 3 years ago.
Modelbuilding-wise we had much in common - overlapping interests, similar approach to studying the subject and drive for a flawless execution.
Except- his finished models were much-much better than mine.
He always choose to build something I wanted to build myself and quite often vice-versa.

After reading your ML post about Robert’s passing, I realized, I have received a certain model kit, he almost built, in the last days of his life.

I will open this kit on Nov.4th 2021 and will start a build blog here in Speedy J’s memory.

3 Likes

Thanks for your very personal message Ayovtshev…I will sure follow your build with interest. And I’m just guessing that Robert will nudge you in the right direction whenever you’re not sure!

3 Likes

I have no words. My condolences to you and your family. His projects in modeling have always aroused interest in me.
Kalin Merodijski

1 Like