Intrigue of Cats, litter of Panthers

Update from the Book of Armaments and with apologies to Monty Python…A day at the tank wash…

Some say sprinkle & spray…being a good (bad) Southern Baptist…
(That’s a joke for the hard hearted and politically correct types that didn’t get it.)

…full immersion, going under the water aka (baptism) is the only way I’m doing this!..

…now the newly cleansed sinful models are sanctified…they may in time receive the Holy Floquil from the sacred Iwata Micron as it was written in the Book of Weathering!..

That’s an attempt at satire & humor for ye humorless & clueless ole politically correct types out there in styrene land.

Cheers!

11 Likes

You’ll have to pay for a good argument from me, or speak to the ministry.

2 Likes

Two hours airbrushing to get one Black Panther. Have two touch spots, glacis the plastic rod fill for the second head light had a spot to fill and the rear plate to engine deck.

Encouraged the track inside faces are mostly looking OK after base coat. Hopefully they’ll work out.

7 Likes

One personal note, my good friend of thirty years RP passed away recently. We’d done tons of hobby stuff together since the early 1990’s. We’d stay in touch despite me moving across country 14 years ago. RP was an outstanding friend, top notch at model building & painting, a fellow wargamer with a keen interest in history and current events.

I definitely miss him.

The good news is once again airbrushing with the spray booth. Works great when its cool outside, no issues today when it was 41 degrees. The pelxiglass was definitely worthwhile. A++ Matt

I’ve been off the game for a while. Time to buckle down, pay the piper and get to painting.

Decided to try the Tamiya Panther D Quick Wheel Mask on the Dragon Panther D.

Wheels fit well enough but each type needs checked to ensure the proper mask is used. This is the back side.

Worked from tire black to base color. There’s the mask combo to spray silver for the wear section of the inner double wheels and another mask to cover the silver area to shoot base on the wheels.

It worked well enough, proved more fiddly with multiple wheels in the mask than I’d hoped. For me, any time saved paint vs using my old circle template was promptly consumed cleaning the Quick Wheel template. I’d rather clean two areas on the circle template than 16 areas on the Quick Wheels template.

Quick Wheels - recommend, it works well enough.

The tracks proved more fun to paint than a clutch of baby Velociraptors. Broke out an ancient bottle of Floquil Antique Bronze. It’s so old and settle even with a paint shaker and ball bearings in the bottle it was very slow to mix. I strained it to ensure it sprayed. It probably need half an hour shaking not five minutes. Happy enough with the initital result over black.

Faded in the base coat of Floquil Panzer Dark Yellow but after three hours ran out of time for doing the highlights.

6 Likes

Glad you’re back to throwing paint Wade. Happy I could give you the assist.

2 Likes

Stray Cat Alert :warning:

Never know what you’ll find during morning coffee :coffee: :sleeping: :wink:

MisterCraft 1/35 Sd.Kfz.171-Panther

Never heard of MisterCraft, seems to have been called MasterCraft previously.

Anyone know details about the company or the kit?

~31 :euro: euros or ~$34 US

Speculative

New? Rebox of Zvezda or ICM? Might buy one as long as it isn’t of Russian (Ukraine invasion) or Italeri origin (crap).

Stuff in box looks far to nice to be a reboxed ~30 year old Italeri turd of a Panther despite the box art looking sort of Italeri.

Might be a fun bash using spare parts from dragon-panther-ausf-g-premium-edition-armorama

Finally awakened from slumber mighty Dragon has tossed us modelers a very sweet looking 2 n1 Panther G. I definitely need (want) another platoon of Panther kits to build…lol…

Why settle for a Panther company in the stash if you can have a Panther battalion?

4 Likes

Wade, nice find. I do not recognize the kit, but pretty sure it is a reboxing. At least that is what Mistercraft has done a number of times. Curious that the decals cover a lot of captured panthers. That is super interesting and almost worth the buy of the kit in of itself.

2 Likes

I’d be dubious of Mistercraft. It’s a rebox, but what is it a rebox of? How many manufacturers have released Panthers with molded Zimmerit?

1 Like

Judging by the parts layout on the sprues this looks like a rebox of the ICM kit. The decal options look great although I’d be wary of them- the kit looks like an Ausf. D and if I remember correctly some of the options were in reality Ausf. A or G

2 Likes

Dont waste that dragon kit Wade … it will be a beauty … I just posted about in the other thread that has it mentioned …

2 Likes

I only know MisterCraft from it’s very cheap 1:732 planes.
If I look at scalemates, the Panther is not shown there…

2 Likes

Another Panther kit? More to feed my addiction… I’ll be dead before I finish my existing stash.

2 Likes

Definitely appreciate the input everyone :+1:

It’s a D with A & G decal options? Holy 1975, isn’t that precious! Thank you for the heads up! Probably save quite a few of us from walking into a bear trap.

That’s some bottom notch research right there by misterbox, explains taking the master out of the name.

ICM? I need to check out a review of their Panther kit. Last I priced the ICM, it was like ~$45

Hit the paint booth, laid some highlights…couldn’t resist just sitting the turret askew for a scrap yard pose.

I think I’m liking the slightly lighter Luftwaffe Interior Black as base shadow coat.

8 Likes

Not being critical, my friend, but are those smoke discharges missing a little wiring?

2 Likes

LOL!

Yes indeed they are missing the little wires. I didn’t like the Eduard PE for the wires.

Cobbled this for a pet Panzer IV…

Might be able to do something along those lines again.

4 Likes

Those look great. They’d be a nice addition to your beautiful cat

3 Likes

We’ll get back on task with the Dragon Panther D in a few weeks. Being On the road, it’s mobile workbench so can’t do paint work for the D…so a different path for a few weeks…

So 1 of 2 remaining shelf queen’s, a Tamiya Steel Wheel Panther G gets worked for a few weeks. I worked on it for two weeks while sick with ChickPox in 1998. When I got better I was really sick of the project! :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

It hasn’t been touched in 25 years since it was started. Took a few minutes to sort the mess.

Here’s most of 25+ year old aftermarket junk. Verliden resin engine, Cavalier Zimmerit, On the Mark Photo Etch, Jordi-Rubio metal gun barrel, Eduard PE. Jaguar resin interior, Tank Work Shop resin radiators etc. Of course the parts for a late Panther G are also in the box.

I think this adds up to a Tamiya Panther G more or less…note the extra upper hull…

This is what previously had been assembled in 1998.

Today’s work…

7 Likes

Very nice …I do love a good Panther build … and some nice additional bits as well Wade :+1:

3 Likes

1:732? You’re going to go blind trying to detail those… :grin:

2 Likes

Lol… Talking about typos…

1 Like