Israeli Defense Forces M-1 Super Sherman, Six-Day War, 1967

This model depicts the M4A1 (Wet, T23) in use with the Israeli Defence Force (IDF) in 1967. In Israeli service the vehicle was known as the M-1 Super Sherman. The two pictures below have been my primary inspiration for my project.

My project was begun in 1994, with the Italeri kit no. 225 as the base kit. The Italeri kit has the early T23 turret with the large loaders hatch, so I had to source a turret with the later small loaders hatch, and this came from the Dragon 9009 kit. Originally, I intended to use the Dragon HVS suspension, but since the Dragon HVSS is very basic, I chose to use the HVSS from the now out of production MP Models. However, the MP Models HVSS is also somewhat soft in the details, so when the Tasca HVSS came out, I decided to remove the MP Models parts, and use the Asuka HVSS instead. Also, a metal barrel was used, and I simply can’t remember the manufacturer, but today there are several manufactures, which produce the M1A2 76mm barrel in 1/35. A number of other details were scratch build, such as the extra antenna mount in front of the loaders hatch, and the cover on the gun mantlet. Other details came from Aber and Yoyager etched sets, and the M2 .50 cal. HMG is from Asuka.
DSC_0340-2

Should I start a similar project today, I think, I would begin with the Asuka M4A1. Tamiya has a M-1 kit, but it is the early version with the VVSS, and like many other Tamiya kits, it is a bit basic in the details, so generally, I prefer Asuka Sherman kits. This is of course a personal preference. The Tamiya kit has period figures for the commander and loader, which might be important to you?
My M-1 was painted with AK Real Colours RC096 “IDF Early Sand Yellow”, and then weathered with a number of AK products. I used the “black base” technique, meaning I began the painting process with a base layer of Revell no. 9, which is a very dark grey, which is very good and robust base for the other colours. On the black/grey base colour I made some random patterns with white paint, which are intended to facilitate variations in the top colour.

When the RC096 IDF Early Sand Yellow was sprayed on, I took great care to paint with very thin layers of paint, in order to keep the effect of colour variations in the base layers. In this stage of the paint process, it is important to keep in mind, the final coats of matt varnish will somewhat even out the colour variations, so the black/white base must be made with a high level of contrast, in order to “survive” the later coats of the sand colour, the weathering and the layers of varnish.

The decals used are from SabIngaMartin. They are very well documented in the instructions and in the accompanying books from the publisher, so I wholeheartedly recommend them. One word of caution though, cut the decals tight, when you remove them from the decal sheet. The decals on my model unfortunately have some silvering, as I forgot to do this.

The weathering process was deliberately quite subtle. Pictures of Israeli vehicles from the 1967 Six-Day War show, that at least regarding vehicles operating on the area around Jerusalem, that the vehicles were dusty, rather than outright dirty. This means, the actual weathering consists of a general dust/sand layer on the lower hull, dark sand on road wheels and outer parts of the HVSS, panel liner on the upper hull, a thin layer of dust on the upper hull and fenders and the upper side of the turret. The air recognition black/white bands on the upper hull and upper turret have been “dirtied” (is that a word in English?), as to appear used.
Generally speaking, some parts add more scale effect to the model than others. The indy tracks from Friul, and the etched metal parts, for instance the fenders, are so important for the overall impression of the model. Likewise, the .50 cal. M2 HMG and its mount are very visible parts of the model, so I have used a lot of time to depict them accurately.

Todays state of affairs

Source kits:
Italeri M4A1
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-225-sherman-m4a1--185345
Dragon M4A3E8
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dragon-9009-m4a3e8-easy-eight--1233426
Decals from SabIngaMartin Publications
sabingamartin 1:35 - Scale Modeling Search*
IDF OIL DRUMS & AMMUNITION BOXES MARKINGS #1, SabIngaMartin Publications SIM-023
IDF JERRYCAN MARKINGS, SabIngaMartin Publications SIM-022
HVS suspension from Tasca/Asuka
M4 Sherman “HVSS” Suspension Set, ASUKA Model 35-L35 (2015)
Metal tracks from Friul - ATL-138 M/50 M/51 Super Sherman / Isherman / M4A3 -HVSS T-80 Type track
https://friulmodel.hu/termek/atl-138-m-50-m-51-super-sherman-isherman-m4a3-hvss-t-80-type-track/

Hull mounted tools are from Formation Models. They are resin cast gemstones.

Etched parts from Aber and Yoyager

Metal barrel from – I forgot

Smoke dischargers from AEF Designs (out of production)

19 Likes

Great looking build. Nicely balanced with the stowage as well and the detailing… The IDF Shermans are my favourite :+1:

2 Likes

Outstanding kitbashing and resourcing! Fantastic build and detailing. Great stowage and super researching. Superb paint and weathering - good thing it took you 30 years to complete, so you could take advantage of AK Real Colors! Really excellent model. Time well spent.

2 Likes

Thanks @Johnnych01 for the kind words, much appreciated.

2 Likes

Thanks @SSGToms, much appreciated. I have learned a lot from this project, which has been on and off during these past 30 years. I have a bad habit of starting kits, and then not finishing them. Last year a friend of mine encouraged me to begin work again on my shelf queen, and I took the challenge. Now, very close to the finishing line, I have so much fun completing the painting and the weathering processes, discussing each step with my friend as I go along.

2 Likes

I love resurrecting old builds, and this looks great. And yes, “dirtied” is a word I use.
Ken

3 Likes

Last major task on the hull is a layer of dust in the shape of pigments. Looking forward to seeing how that works out.

6 Likes

Todays update, the only missing part on the turret is the antenna. Then a final cote of dust in the shape of pigments.

5 Likes

Working with pigments. Comments are much appreciated.

8 Likes

The completed model. I hope, you’ enjoy it.

13 Likes

Excellent!!! :100: :100: :+1: :+1: :saluting_face:

2 Likes

Very well done.

2 Likes

Outstanding.

3 Likes

Looks awesome Great job on it.

2 Likes

Superb completed wagon and great finish… Superb :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Excellent job!
I need to get my Lebanese version done.

3 Likes

Excellent build. The finish is amazing. I like it.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the very warm comments. I really appreciate your acknowledgements.
To celebrate my M-1 is now finished, I dug out another shelf queen, an IDF M-51. Hope to see you all on the other side (pun intended).

Regards Thomas

2 Likes