Italeri 1:35 M47 - Bundeswehr

I’ve had to consider backloading a fair number of my collection so the older kits are first in the queue (as with my Jagdpanzer Kanone discussed elsewhere).This was one of the first kits I built when I eventually got back into modelling after a full military career.

It’s the by now ancient Italeri kit, but was a great build and I think one of their best. I intended to build a German Army vehicle from the start, although way back then (mid 90s I think) there wasn’t much in the way of reference material; eventually of course, Tankograd filled that gap, but at the time I really only had a couple of photos to go off, one being from a book on the Bundeswehr I’d acquired in 1989. I believe the basis for the figures was a Dragon set or two, I really can’t remember. I replaced the heads, but managed to get the cap colours wrong. The early Wehrmacht-style camouflaged uniform proved a little tricky at the time too, but I ended up with a certain effect. The mantlet cover was from tissue paper and white glue; I tried to get a foliage effect using sea foam, but it is a little lacking and I should have considered adding leaves of some sort. I used different jerricans to replace the US types, added some details to the MG (or may even have replaced it) and I think that was about it.

Overall colour was Revell’s Gelboliv; these days I tend to go for Tamiya Khaki Drab when making Bundeswehr models, the Revell version being a little too dark I feel for 1:35. Decals came from my spares box but didn’t take especially well.

This is the source book mentioned and the picture within which I tried to replicate:

I shall be sad to see it go; it was, as I say, one of my first models, and certainly the first of my Bundeswehr collection.

17 Likes

Wow! Looks great! :+1:

1 Like

I love it! funny how the early Bundeswehr used the WWII splinter pattern camo uniforms and M43 style caps. I think you did a might fine job on the build and base.
Have you tried AK Real Colors Gelboliv? They make a late and early version. I’ve used it on my last two Leopard builds.

1 Like

Thanks folks, nice to hear.

Carlos, I must admit I love the juxtaposition of all things Wehrmacht with US equipment in the mid 50s - it’s almost surreal! I’ve further examples on one of my Bundesgrenschutz models, which I’ll get around to posting here one day.

I’m happy enough with Tamiya XF-51 for my Gelboliv thanks, but thanks for the info.

One further thing re the kit: I forgot to mention that I replaced the kit’s later version grab rails with the earlier version type; lots of drilling and wrangling of brass wire(!)

1 Like

Looks great. Reminds me of some pictures I found while searching on the web a few years ago.

3 Likes

Good pics Paul - I could have done with these all those years ago!

1 Like

Another (random) thought; that first picture could almost be a Panther and Kubelwagen in Normandy, not the M47 and Munga combo(!)

2 Likes

Here is a neat related tidbit. US Army LRRPs in Germany in the early 60’s also used the splinter pattern camo uniforms for field ops

must have been much more effective than the simple OG fatigues with the bright rank, unit patches and branch/name tapes of that era.
Other photos show them also wearing the French “lizard pattern” camo uniforms.

Love the shiny boots & white tee shirts. :smirk:

1 Like

Now that I didn’t know! What a find. I suppose it made perfect sense as the then, new German Army must have been about the only nation in NATO to sport a camouflaged uniform, so if you’re casting around on behalf of your specilaist troops and looking for same, then I suppose one would naturally gravitate to the Army which has what you want. Very, very, interesting.

As an aside, can you imagine a recognition test? You flash up a slide which shows either Bundeswehr splinter (or French) yet with M14s etc - a test nightmare!

A further aside: of course, the Bundesgrenschutz were wearing their own splinter pattern at the time:

More recognition confusion - epsecially with that helmet!

2 Likes

Wow! That is fascinating Stik! Had no idea. I see a vignette or small diorama idea here……,

1 Like

That’s a fine build of the M47! It was Italeri at their best…

3 Likes

Thanks Tom; 'nice to hear - especially seeing it was one of my earliest efforts.

1 Like

Here’s a Bundeswehr M47 diorama idea…

war games.

1 Like

It is indeed; that reminds me - is there a 1:35 M20 (I think) Super bazooka available anywhere?

1 Like

Those figures wouldn’t be to hard to convert I don’t think if you can find Germans in the prone position wearing those splinter camo suits that is. Looks like the same MG42 and personal gear for the most part from ww2.

1 Like

Would this set help? At least the machine gunners.

2 Likes

Or would this set be better?

1 Like

I’m not sure if Carlos is actually thinking of making one (I’m not either) but conversion wouldn’t be that difficult. I’m no Jerry Rutman but even I can pad out a smock or bulk out trousers with Milliput. Thereafter it’s a matter of identifying suitable weapons, US type helmets (the Bundeswehr eventually designed their own, smaller version based on the US pattern, but in the early days may have used actual US ones - in any case no great problem).

Personal kit would need modifying or scratching; see here top left:

but sadly bereft of any ammo pouches, though if anyone is intending to have a go at making the MG team above, as they’re prone, the lack of ammo pouches wouldn’t really matter. Thinking about it, the Bazooka would probabaly be an easy enough scratch build too.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t be too hard to make with the proper scale.

1 Like

I agree; a bit of effort but very do-able I should think.

I remember seeing soldiers on exercise or military displays with them in the broken down configuration (as a young boy) and had no idea what they were. I also saw them stacked up in the armoury in junior service and looked forward to getting to grips with it - as any 15 year-old would - but we never did, and of course at that time the 84mm Carl Gustaf was the chosen replacement, though I’m not too sure when it actually came into Brit service.

1 Like