Jackal 2 Op Newcombe Mali

Tanks to @Boggie, now I know I don’t see things (well, not this time at least…)

Thanks again Bill !

H.P.

1 Like

Another rack-fitted Jackal 2 :

H.P.

1 Like

Could they be a type of bridge? Only meant for crossing ditches etc. Quads in Afghanistan carried small ladder type bridges so they could get across ditches in the green zone. Maybe this is an uprated version for heavier vehicles. To me it looks like one side folded, maybe another C/S carries the second side.

1 Like

Ha … you cannot beat a ripped tank sheet letting in the rain on the back decks of a Chieftain or Chally … or a soaking wet CVRT crew shelter that weighs 3 tones with the water added … all this waterproof stuff … they got it easy lol

you could be onto the winner there Max …

2 Likes

The UN one has the air intakes fitted, the other two have the rear tubular assembly removed, no air filtration other than at the engine intake I assume. It is confusing without knowing how and for what these vehicles are tasked. Are the rear racks for spare fuel, water leaving the central stowage area for something heavier like munitions? As French said for a vehicle that has been in service for quite a time it is hard to find source material about them.They certainly seem to be asking the vehicle to do more and grow more just like the HMMWV.
Regarding my finding these photos, I am learning from the master.

Literally just found this, unfortunately it’s in my nature to go digging when something bothers me. It’s called a “Super Light Trackway Bridge (SLTB)” Go to this link and scroll to the bottom.

1 Like

It makes sense for the wagons to have these fitted to separate heavier dust particles. I remember Chieftains air cleaner used to have something like this before the air hit the panel filter. Johnny will know more about that him being a D&M Instructor.
The rear racks are actually folded out and then the jerrycans fitted, this leaves more room for stowage over the rear wheel arches. In normal use they would be folded inwards so they were flush with the vehicle sides. I expect they’re not expecting to encounter many forest trees to rip them off hence being folded down.

1 Like

This reminds me of the same thing fitted to the front of the French AML. While some call them sand channels they were in fact sections of bridge. Two vehicles were needed to make a basic bridge with 4 sections and up to 8 sections could be used in a single bridge.

Olivier

1 Like

I would never have guessed a bridge. I guess these days with good aerial surveillance you could be sure to add a bridge to your kit.
Does anyone know where the air intake is on the Jackal 2? Sorry if OPSEC just thinking if some one has to model the two air intakes they have to terminate someplace.

Great to see people sharing their knowledge.
Bill

1 Like

Your question got me looking and this is what I found. On Jackal 1 the air filter was behind the driver as per the red ring on this pic,

Then when I went looking at Jackal 2 I saw these which look like lots of mini versions of the bigger Topspin centrifugal cleaners leading me to believe the filter is under there somewhere.

Realistically though it could be anywhere and just ducted to the turbo/intake manifold.

1 Like

Never knew that Olivier, I just assumed they were sand channels. On our Ferrets in Cyprus we had lengths of PSP held on the front which was really good in mud.

1 Like

Maximus this is indeed very helpful, at least we can see where the air goes to the engine. I am sure these details aren’t in the kits are they? I’d like to understand how the dual air intakes with the cyclone ends route to the turbo/intake manifold you’ve shown, it is a visually complicated vehicle.
Thanks for these details
Bill

This is the same vehicle from the workshop but more of a close-up. I couldn’t find a better image unfortunately.

1 Like

The black filtration unit in the pic above is in the kits but not the two tubes on the countermeasures platform, that will have to be scratched. Now I’m not sure that if the tubes are there does it mean the small black filter unit is gone?

1 Like

I really should look before I post things as the small black filter is still there even with the larger filters fitted.

1 Like

On a side note, the Jackal 2 engine is the Cummins 180hp ISBe series 6.7L. inline 6 Cyl. that should looks like this one :

but the rocker cover in John 's last post appears to be closer to the one fitted to this engine block :

from https://www.mascus.fr/4-occasion/moteur-4-occasion/cummins-new-isbe-qsb-6-7l-24v-engine-long-block-motor/enkj6rdt.html

H.P.

1 Like

Jackal 2 originally had a 5.9 litre Cummins engine which is possibly what’s in the pics previously posted and was then upgraded to the 6.7 litre which I imagine is why a new filtration system was needed.

The vehicle in my photos is a hangar queen used by REME to help train their fitters. Most of the vehicles in the hangar ‘classroom’ are early production examples or prototypes of current service types.

I’m still with cooling air for ECM, the ducting would have to go under the seats , and across floor as no room under there to duct. To engine.