Jagdtiger/King Tiger barrel rod painting?

3 Likes

So… We’ve already had a plethora of information, records, and photographs showing that late war final production vehicles were fully painted by the factory. However, we have not had any records or photos showing that vehicles were left unpainted and sent to the front, except maybe in Berlin. How come there have been no records shown that say that the oxide primer has occurred? @paska just proved (to my mind) that Mr. Devey was incorrect. That Jagdtiger was not painted solely in primer.

If you have sources that say otherwise I would love to see them. There’s things I’ve read before that have been proven wrong by people on this forum. I don’t doubt the value of sources. The more the better the idea is proved.

Don’t get me wrong, I like how the oxide primer looks. Now, is it accurate? Probably not. That comes down to artistic license. I agree 100% with @Armor_Buff , he has a valid point.

3 Likes

One more thing; your experience as ex-military can be different than what happened then. I agree with your statement that camouflage can depend on the AO and the terrain, weather conditions, and crew. However, these are tanks coming from a German factory run by Germans going to fight on German soil. I would think they would know the surroundings and terrain well enough to devise good paint schemes for them. So much has changed from WWII to Vietnam, and from Vietnam to now. Just because you experienced something in your military time doesn’t mean that’s how it always is.

2 Likes

SableLiger’s photo posted is of Bovington’s Tiger II in original, factory paint. Another view;

Actually, this one is the unrestored 104, SableLiger’s is the post-restoration, I’m assuming? :wink:

3 Likes

King Tiger 104 in it’s proper glory.

3 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

That’s the “Schmalturm” turret of the Panther Ausf. F.

3 Likes

Hybrid Panther Ausf. F/G. Most likely the only one that saw action in Berlin, 1945 before ending up in a tank dump after the war.

4 Likes

Here’s what’s left of the turret that was sent to England for analysis (now sitting at the Bovington Tank Museum), a second turret was send to Aberdeen Proving Grounds for analysis by the Americans.

4 Likes

Yup. Very last days with D-B pattern camo.

Panther with F hull, again from D-B, another last days assembly and paint job. Interesting too that it has the small idler, which D-B also mounted until the very end. And of course the mantlet without the chin, again indicating D-B.

I have a feeling this will be unsatisfying, but if you know, you know.

4 Likes

I intend to finish my steel wheel Panther F in overall olivgrun, with small idler, Schurzen, MG-34 in hull and Balkenkreuz markings to D-B practice.

Of course, I know I am taking liberties insofar as the camo, wheels and Schurzen. I’m not claiming 100 percent accuracy, just this is what I’m going to do.

6 Likes

M70, I like your idea.

What defines D-B practice?

Thanks!

3 Likes

Did Bovvie repaint 104, or just give it a good clean & polish? And is the “old” paint genuine or an earlier museum repaint?

2 Likes

Who knows? I think they probably repainted it using the original pattern.

2 Likes

again, my colleague: i’m just confused because various sources either don’t exist or claim late war bombing raids at Nibelungenwerk smoked all paint and facilities except for Red Oxide

I have it written down somewhere. IIRC, if applied, port side just forward where missing spare aerial tube would be, starboard at center hull or so, rear on port storage bin.

Edit: here’s a photo of 122, a D-B Panther illustrating position.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ll take the bait.

What sources did the otherwise very thorough Jentz and Doyle completely miss regarding these red panzers very conspicuously tooling around battlefields?

Why has no Allied soldier recorded anything at all regarding red panzers?

What kind of rather amazing bombs only hit and destroy paint, but not red oxide primer?

(I have to admit: that’s extremely clever: removing the enemy’s ability to camouflage their armor with smart bombs that only destroy camo paint, thus forcing them to stick out like the proverbial red thumb. Not as efficient as just destroying the armor itself, but pretty darn genius regardless.)

So many questions!

3 Likes

Explaining Sheldon GIF - Explaining Sheldon Amazed - Discover & Share GIFs

7 Likes

I love that show! Still watch the reruns. VBG.

4 Likes