JLTV UTL M1278 and an RG-33 SOCOM AUV Build Conversion

Hi gents -
It’s time to call this done!

Before getting into the project, I’ll say the Sabre base JLTV kit is really good - there were no problems to report, and things went together like they were supposed to. My only heads up to any of you who build this kit - it comes with some painting masks which fit just right - but, when you peel them off, they left some adhesive on the windows -easy enough right? well - no - that glue didn’t want to come off - lol -weird problem. With enough fussing, it came off, so just an FYI.

OK, back to the build:

All worked as hoped! As the kit of this is on its way, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the build too :smile: I added a few light washes, some thinned anthracite grey around bolts and fine details, some camo grey lightly sprayed around the body, and an overall wash of Life Color Dust - as it was looking so nice, out we went for a trail ride :sunglasses:

This is certainly a stout looking rig - it gives the impression that it should do really well off road, as there is a lot of ground clearance and wheel travel. I think you’ll be surprised how big this is (compared to an HMMWV) if you build the kit.

Also, another tip-o-the Xacto to @18bravo Rob for some great pictures, and @Tank_1812 Ryan - for giving me the exact length of the real thing. It was absolutely worth it for me to rebuild what I did to the chassis to get the length correct.

So, one more ready to collect dust - lol -

Next up, I’ll add to this thread, I’m going to try again to make an RG-33 SOCOM AUV. I built one of these a few years ago, which came out ok, but, I think I am a better model builder now, so will give it a go - and yes, this too will be informed by some pics from Rob.

Thanks for looking at this - and on we go -

Cheers
Nick

14 Likes