JLTV UTL M1278 and an RG-33 SOCOM AUV Build Conversion

Well guys, haven’t jumped into valve stems just yet :smile:

Instead, decided to try my hand at a CROWS, as the real version has one. As an early warning, don’t expect to see a beautifully crafted Live Resin version! Instead, well, a guy went about making one up using the same materials as used so far. This became quite a challenge.

After carving out the plastic piece I had firmly glued to the roof (a piece I previously wrongly guessed might be right for a base), without destroying all the etch work surrounding it, got after it:

This proved to be pretty hard to build - and get to look within the realm of “right” - I looked at the kit piece I recently installed on the JLTV and several photos.

It turns out the shields on the sides are/might be asymmetric and they appear to include an inner metal frame, and what I am speculating is a ballistic exterior - I don’t know, but there are two pieces of surface material on each side.

Next, these are mounted to small towers that are of course, tapered, and the “wings” are slightly canted outward.

The unit that holds the weapon is firmly mounted to the towers, it tilts, and has an internal base that the optics are attached to.

I built a wire frame and inset a piece of carefully cut up lead foil to make the basket.

To my surprise and delight, this thing is essentially square and level, neither of which I assumed during the build. This is an odd little piece of modelbuilding, which was hard to hold and visually inspect - yes easy enough to see all of it - but less easy to tell if it was square while trying to hold and not destroy it!

Believe it or not, there are a few other pieces to make for the roof, but I might pass on them for a while as the front end needs some help.

There are some big boxes, on top of the bumper that appear to only house direction/marker lights - but they are really big :face_with_monocle: so, I’ll make them, and wonder what else they might do. There’s also a housing that wraps part of the winch, and on and on -

So, happy Saturday,

Cheers
Nick

12 Likes