Jumping Scorpion (CVR (T) Op. Granby)

Beter late than never, says a Dutch verb. Just googling on Youtube my interest woke up by seeing CVR’s jumping with high speed in a meadow. I looked closer in to it and was soon in love with this litlle racemonster, so I bought the Haynes owners manual. Just at that time the Forum Online Contest of TWENOT (Dutch) started with the subject “motion”. In my mind I saw a CVR rallying through the desert towards Basra, so the seed was planted.

Had some issues getting all I wanted parts and bits together, but I did, although it is no more fun to buy from Engeland due to very high customs and handling costs for us mainlanders. Such a shame to kill so much hobby potention for us modellers of trains plaines, automobiles, slotcars and whatever. But I think that should be another thread…

I bought the next:
The AFV Club Scorpion in Germany,
The (last) Masterclub tracks in Poland,
The Scorpion Granby conversion from SMM in England,
The Star Decals for Granby in England,
The Eduard PE set in the Netherlands.
The Tamiya paint from Poland.
The crew from Acurate Armour in Scotland.

I lined the suspension in a row, glued them and then sawed them loose, drilled 1 mm holes for axles, so the suspension was adjustable. As I was planning a jumping Scorpion I sawed the front suspension wheels loose too, so they can hang down, when the front of the scorpion was in the air. Made some parts from Evergreen.

Started with the tracks, one of the nicest I have seen. With white metal links, rubber pads and resin front/end pins. Blackened the links. Glued the pads and pins with CA glue. They still movable but delicate.

Made a vignette with foam and cork, so the Scorpion jumps on the tarmac.

So far the building proces, painting will follow soon

24 Likes

Painting on its way, with decals and tracks fitted

5 Likes

Buiding and painting the crew, made from Valkyrie Miniatures and Acurate Armour Gulf War Crews. The Scorpion is depicted on Operation Granby, charging to Basra.
On the right shoulder the black desert rat, on the left the royal lion of Scotland.
The crew in the tower lean forwards to keep upright as the Scorpion goes up.

11 Likes

The end is near, I pushed the Scorpion in the wet AK sand.
Point of no return…

7 Likes

Hi @TeeAge , Love the idea and the process you are going through with it, so just wanted to point out a couple of things. The front of the CVR looks like it is hanging in thin air and not going up a sharp incline ? - Is it going from sand onto a road ?
If the angles all stay the same, with the CVR going from that slight angle up, then the front of the wagon would not be that high. The natural balance point is the 3rd wheel, so as soon as the 3rd wheel reaches its pivot point and there is nothing under the front of the wagon, the CVR will drop, so in reality, the vehicle would not be sitting like that, it would of dropped before it got to that point … Can you extend the upward slope to fully under the 3rd wheel ?

The CVR and the crew are really nicely built btw, and nice job with the cam as well. Please feel free to ask anything you need to know as I may be able to help, being crewed on them for so long.

2 Likes

Hello John,

Thank You for your kind words an advice.
i build the model as an subject for a Forum Online Contest of our modell association Twenot. The subject is “movement”.
I was inspired by this video on Youtube where a Scorpion takes off.

Reading about the Scots Dragoons charged the Basra road in 1991 during Operation Granby I came to this composition, with the Scorpion jumping on the asphalt. Now the acryl is dry the Scorpion sits tight (glued), unfortunately…

1 Like

I had a good laugh watching that. It reminded of some of the daft things we did in CVRT… All of the same as that jump and worse… Getting a CVR fully in the air is quite an experience lol … They are very bouncy !!

They should of double checked all the turret bin securing clamps were done up properly lol… An easy mistake to make…but costly in a real one when it’s full of your kit and underslung from a Chinook and drops from about 2000 feet !!

Not to worry about you having yours already set … It looks cool regardless and like said, it’s very nicely made and I just thought I’d mention it … Nice work :+1:

2 Likes

I saw some great pictures about airborne in the Haynes owner manual.

4 Likes

I forgot all about that epic failure… I think it was 97 or just after… I was in BATUS I think when they tried it… TALO is the preferred option if you can secure the airstrip… And to be honest, dropping them like that was really doomed to fail.
Underslung is good and also works well as the crew go in the same chopper, but that takes a long time to set up and prep for.
We were part of a 5 Airborne Demo Ex to HMQ in about 93 ish and they dropped a Landrover out the back of a Herc … That ended up with a 110 Defender in about 1000000 pieces when part of the chute didn’t deploy lol…

3 Likes

So here it is: finished

13 Likes

Looks good to me. Nice job. It looks like it is hanging there just before the front comes crashing down.

1 Like

Now the dust cloud has been added, it’s hidden the 3rd wheel tipping point … Well done. It looks very nice and that made a big difference… Still really like the figures and right arm brassards are nice as well. :+1:

1 Like

Did you say this was going into a show ?

It’s for a forum contest of Twenot, for now.
So brassards they are called :slight_smile:

1 Like

If your able, try putting some thickish black or dark green cotton on the center parts of the roll mats and hiding the other end under the bin lips or the hinges so it’s looks they are tied on. That will look good for others viewing it.

Yeah they were usually worn to show rank, well we did in the HCR … Regt Provo sections wear the Regt badge and rank etc … All slight variations…not seen so much now

Nice suggestion of movement; can I ask what you used for the dust cloud (or have I missed that?).

I’ve tried cotton wool before but I couldn’t get it to take paint at all.

Well done! I love the flying dust.

Hello Boots,

Polyester Fiberfill or Polyfill stuffing is composed of man-made, small, curled polyester fibers. Poly-fill stuffing is the most popular stuffing type owing to its soft, durable, and extremely fluffy nature.

Greatings, Tini

1 Like

OK: Thanks - where does one come across it?