KET - T Recovery Vehicle Build Blog

I just happen to have finished my IJA Type 89 today and the Postman delivered this this morning. I’ve been waiting for this kit. It’s just so cool. I believe it is the world’s biggest tow truck. Since this kit is fairly new and I haven’t done a blog in awhile, I thought I’d blog this one. This should take me a while!

The kit box lists 600+ parts, and this is a kit with no track links to inflate the part count. This is a huge kit! This is truly a stack of styrene!

The molding throughout is beautiful. As you can see, PE is provided generously. The only thing this kit needs is a set of resin Miniarm wheels, and those will be here in 4 days. I think this kit will keep me busy until then. So, I’m going to dive in now and updates soon!

13 Likes

Will be following along. Are you planning to make any mods as necessary or OOB?

1 Like

As if my wallet isn’t suffering enough you’ve gotta go and wave this around…. I am excited to live vicariously through you!

3 Likes

This kit has enough going on for me so it’s going to be OOB except for the AM wheels. If I see any kit details I can improve along the way, I’ll do it.

2 Likes

Great to see this blog, the vehicle is amazing indeed. I will follow with interest!

1 Like

I have this kit on order too! I will be following your build!

1 Like

A big question that is looking , did they include the engine bay this time ?

1 Like

If the engine is not included there are a few things that can be done to conceal that .

1 Like

Ok Matt… I’m hooked… Your last HEMTT fire truck was great, so another wheeled beast will be well worth the ride … Looking forward to more :+1::+1:

1 Like

The frame and drivetrain components completed with a steel ruler to give you an idea of just how big this bad boy is. It should finish out at about 28cm!

7 Likes

That’s going to be a big chunk of plastic and no mistake :+1:

1 Like

Work continues slowly on the suspension components of the huge truck. The MAZ-537 base parts of this kit show heavy mold use with very heavy mold lines on all parts and some flash, requiring complete all-round cleaning of each part. This gets pretty tedious when they are suspension parts and there are 8 or 16 of them. Parts fit is kind of loose and sloppy, too. The new KET-T parts look much better.

On a happy note, the truck’s wheels arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon. The mailman didn’t come until 4:30. I swear he goes home and takes a nap in the middle of his route.

The wheel set is perfect and fits up to the model with no modification required. This set came in a record 5 days from Australia via Australia Post, who tracked the package for me right to my door. Good on them!
Checked the instructions and the sprues - there is no engine - so I’ll just whip up a black box to go between the louvres of the engine compartment.

6 Likes

Thats a lot of clean up Matt, I really dont envy you that. The resin wheels look very nice and will make a nice feature once they are on. :+1:

1 Like

You could add one using one of MiniArt’s T-34 engine sets like wojciech_koczorowski did.
MAZ engine

4 Likes

Hey Gino, thanks that’s really cool. I might just do that.

1 Like

I can sense a “to do and buy” list coming along soon Matt… :grin:

1 Like

Ah yes John this could get extensive and expensive. :grin:

1 Like

Now that’s a tow truck!

That’s an impressive stack of styrene! The aftermarket wheels look fabulous.

Looking forward to seeing this go together!

1 Like

Wow that is super nice. I am popping more popcorn and watching this.
Trumpeter does a great job on their Maz chassis.
Now for a great big question , how much better are the resin wheels and how much?

1 Like

Nice project. I have been meaning to purchase this truck but keep getting side track with other kits/subjects. There are so many cool subject matter especially since trumpeter has been doing all those heavy Russian transporters. To many to keep up with.

1 Like