Knight Rider homage

Hi ya all!

It’s been a while and like “Shady” says, “I’m back…”!

I decided to do a Knight Rider build, a homage to KITT and the “Hoff”, who have a special place in my youth. There are a couple of kits on the market and I decided on using the Aoshima, Knight Rider, Season 4 kit.

I hope you enjoy the ride?

7 Likes

Looking forward to it :smiley:

1 Like

I started off with the interior, did the dash and consoles. All those tiny buttons were quite a task. The instructions had their own issues as orange became their “go to” colour, but I got around that with a bit of research. Did a bit of wash and highlights on the interior so that it had a bit of depth and texture.

Thanks for looking!

7 Likes

Nice detailing. I remember that tv show well

1 Like

BTW, is the decal image an 8 RAD?

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/wp-content/gallery/germany/armored_vehicles/sdkfz_263/SdKfz_263_WH_166619.jpg

6 Likes

Honestly I thought it was Goliath.

2 Likes

Nice!! I always liked these cars. Watched the series as a kid and enjoyed it. Decades later my dad and I were overseas together and we used to watch different series on different nights like we did when we were all younger and Wednesday nights were the Knight Rider showings. Some of the things they did in that show were just hilarious years later. Will cover one such instance later but for now I’ll be looking forward to more progress.

1 Like

Excellent work on the interior.

1 Like

Gavin,
1st and foremost, welcome to AutoModeler, you’re going to really like it here.

What a great 1st build to post here. All of us (USA mostly I guess) have some great memories of the Knight Rider, and of course Kitt. Boy did I love that car. For me it was a real toss up between Kitt and the Batmobile.

Great start on the interior. The dash is really looking the part for sure, as does both door cards, and center consol. I really like how you two toned the seats within the same basic color. They really stand out.

joel

1 Like

Welcome back to the team Gavin, great to see you joining in on the new site!

Excellent start to proceedings here as well. Fond memories of the series, and when I was in my early teens we had a Black Labrador that I named Kitt after this car!

Looking forward to more progress reports.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome, I used to use the previous version of this website.

Great to be back!

I’m sure I posted my Batmobile build sometime back on the old site, the 1989 version is the best IMHO.

Hi ya matey!

The same, but different…

Yeah, this Night Rider build has been fun and I’m looking forward to sharing.

Gavin,
It’s always great to have one of the former members back again.

joel

1 Like

Got the dash fitted, thankfully I did a dry fit first. Dodged that bullet. :thinking:
The door cards when then fitted.

Anyway, I’m happy with the result.

Thanks for looking!

7 Likes

Gavin,
Your interior looks darn good. Love the dash as it sure does bring back memories from the show.

joel

1 Like

Great looking interior.

1 Like

On to the chassis, which in this case was pretty basic on the underside.

The topside again was pretty plain as this is where the interior tub is mounted. On closer inspection I noticed that they kit allowed for the mounting of the LED light kit (swooping red light that is forever Knight Rider and Cylon if you are a Battlestar Galactica fan). Now this is as interesting conundrum.

I kinda put the wheels together, no hubcaps in this image. I planned on giving them a wash (ink or diluted black paint) to emphasise the details and to give a sense of wear, prior to fitting the hubcaps.

Till later and thanks for looking.

6 Likes

Gavin.
From your pictures, the bottom of the chassis doesn’t look to bad, and with some detail painting, and a little lite weathering, should really pop.

Not to sure about the led light, just not my thing.

joel

1 Like

Hi Joel and fellow watchers,

Yes, I can appreciate it LED’s may not be a priority, but this instance, looking at those mounting posts and switch slot made me reconsider.

As it turns out, the light module is only available with the season 1 kit, if I am not mistaken and on its own is about as rare as chicken teeth and quite costly.

I had to improvise and look around for alternative. Ebay and Amazon sell a number electronics kits that could be used. I needed to dust off my soldering skills from some 34yrs ago. Workshop training in the air force that included making PCB’s and soldering.

Anyway after a bit of trial and error, I sourced my solution, the next trick was to shoehorn it into the car.
This is the kit I used.

[Gavin Snowdon has shared 1 video with you! | Flickr]

These LED’s will bring a static model to life.

Thanks for looking

4 Likes

Gavin,
I’m looking forward to seeing how it does indeed shoehorn into Kitt. It certainly will move the static build to more closely resemble what she looked like in the TV show.

joel

1 Like