Korea, The Forgotten War Campaign

I just sanded back the dodgy decals and repainted the M40 fenders. Now to find some replacements. Hopefully I can find some in the spares.

1 Like

Would be great. My paintshop is down as for now.

Sorry all, things have been a little crazy. Happy to grant an extension. This campaign will now close on May 2. So models away!

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks Michael, I’ll put it to good use. But you might look into this tag at the bottom of the thread.

Right Mark, I tagged this one to end on May 2nd, so it adds that notice.

Thanks Michael.

Couldn’t find decals to suit the M40 in the spares, but I managed to track down some Archer British registration numbers that should work. Back onto this build now.

Thanks Michael!

I finally took the photo’s! I did take the day off to reflect, and work at being a bit better.

The F9F was a great plane. For those that don’t know me, know that I’m a US Navy/Marine leaning person. This plane ROCKED! A jet bird flying off a straight deck carrier! Incredible fortitude to those that flew them!!

For this campaign, I present Trumpeters 1/48j F9F-2P. A recon bird used in Korea.

This is a pretty good kit. There’s an intake size issue that’s easily resolved with a file. Aside from that and some seatbelts well worth the money. Trumpeter has redeemed itself over the Viggi issue.

One of the really cool things of this kit the posable wings. This is how they sat aboard, in the basement.
Great campaign for the unsung.hero’s.

4 Likes

Great build John. Very nicely finished.

I loved seeing these in action in the movie “The Bridges at Toko-Ri”

1 Like

Well Archer decals applied and sealer and flat coat down. Came out reasonably well in the end, just a little skewed…

…until you look at the rear. I placed the individually cut out characters on clear tape, then placed them on the model and rubbed through the tape. The tape let go as I was doing a section (not easy to keep in place and rub around those cable lines) and that was that… I also managed to tape one character back the front and it stuck to the tape not the model. :roll_eyes: So I feel a suitably placed wipe down rag will be manufactured in the short term.

3 Likes

Just realised I had not put up pics of the final build. Well I’ll jump past those to the ones where it is on a base. Went for the light snow onthe ground version:

…and yes decal disaster covered:

Interesting how the pedestal paint seems to be a mass of light brown in this pic, but you can see it is not like that in the other pics!

Thanks for a great campaign. I have really enjoyed watching all the other builds come together

4 Likes

Looks really good. I am glad you were able to overcome the decal issues.

1 Like

Peter, Outstanding work! Perfect weathering as I’ve come to expect! I always look forward to your builds.

Cheers!:beer:
—mike

1 Like

I’ve finally finished my sea fury.

I’ve a love/hate relation with this model. Surface detail are very good, but some aera like the engine cowlings or the tires are very bad. And the cockpit is very sparce.

Unfortunately, I lost a large part of the photos of the montage because of a defective SD card.

Here are the most relevant photos i have saved:

Montage of the master model canons:

The Inavsion bands wasn’t furnished by Airfix, so i’ve airbrushed these:

I’ve added the magnificient Barracuda engine cowlings and exhaust:

And finally:

3 Likes

Very nice!:beer:

—mike

Sharp looking bird. Nice clean build. :+1: :+1:

Well, if this is ending in 2 days, I’m not gonna make it. :slightly_frowning_face: This one has been a struggle, I might come together in the end, but not in 2 days. Well I’ll keep going on it, it’s part of a trio I want to Finish.

:wave:

1 Like

The Sea Fury looks great. The extra attention shows FS.

Mark, I hear you… Matchbox aircraft kits can be a bear to build. I tried a couple last year, ones that I had in stash for decades, but being an armour builder and detail freak, I was not up to the challenge. Hanger queens the pair… Matchbox armour - no probs… maybe one day I’ll go back to them.

Really nice Sea Fury! I like what you did with it!

Peter nice gun! Mark, I feel your pain, though you can always finish it and show it off in the Hangar Queen campaign!

Finally got it into the paint shop on Sunday, laid down a beautiful coat of Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black. Wow, really looks like an airplane now. :wave:

1 Like

Well, some very nice models here! But I’m afraid it’s time to wrap this one one. Thanks to everyone who participated and congrats to those who finished. To those who didn’t, keep on keepin’ on!