Kubinka, armored vehicles museum

We glance over our shoulder,

turn around and go to the exit.

This is what happens when people are too lazy to rotate the tank’s turret.

8 Likes

Next will be the armored vehicles of countries with tricolor (white-blue-red) flags.

What’s interesting: the museum workers didn’t add anything extra to this pavilion, as they did in previous places. Or is this one of the exhibits?

9 Likes

I’m eagerly waiting for the exhibition hall of American vehicles. I bet the museum will have more than its fair share of them; from Korea, Vietnam, the Balkans, probably even from Georgia/South Ossetia.

1 Like

Kubinka. No. 6 Monsters of the Wehrmacht. US armored vehicles.

If in previous pavilions I did not divide equipment into subtypes, but simply wandered either clockwise or counterclockwise, now I will sort them out by country. It’s just too lazy to explain now why the Wehrmacht and US equipment ended up in the same pavilion, but later it will become so clear. And these reasons are not even political at all.

According to tradition, having cast a glance ahead, we will go there too.

You can even get inside.

But not always, but only after lunch.

8 Likes

We somehow quickly reached the edge of USA!

Let’s go in the opposite direction.

This pavilion has a lot of space. Maybe for future exhibits.

8 Likes

Let’s see what monstrous things the Wehrmacht has? For starters, a little monster.

With a photo of this «sweet couple» it will become clear why they were left in the same place where they had stood for almost 80 years. It’s impossible to move them! Our ancestors found the opportunity and desire to drag them here from Germany, but their descendants clearly became lazy.

They didn’t even bother to lift them when pouring the new floor.

The different camouflage of the hull and turret once again emphasizes that this particular tank is a hodgepodge of two.

Well, the last monster in this zoo.

10 Likes

Do you have any other angle photos of the Kugelpanzer like the rear or underneath?

2 Likes

The right and left sides are completely the same. I still have a view from the back.

And I offer a link to an article by an employee of this museum entitled “Hitler’s Right Egg.” The photo is only from the outside and the text that everything is empty inside.

10 Likes

Thanks Yuri, I appreciate the photo and link.

Any context/meaning to the text on the rear?

2 Likes

Museum registration (inventory) number.

2 Likes

It is quite possible that some people drew attention to the almost complete absence of equipment from the Second World War. Moreover, from all countries and parties.
But certainly no one paid attention to the signs near the entrance to each pavilion. Here’s an example from the last pavilion:

Without translation, it is clear that there is no word Kubinka or anything similar. And indeed, the organization that you know about and that I have been telling you about for the last few days - it doesn’t exist! The Kubinka Armored Vehicles Museum is no more. The organization, which is already more than half a century old, is gone.

But everything remained in place. And you saw it. It’s just that this museum has ceased to be an independent organization, but has become part of another, new and larger organization - Patriot Park.

And the equipment of the Second World War, which was previously located in these same 6 pavilions, moved to another place. I’ll show it to you, you’ll see it. For example, this tank: the first photo is Kubinka, 2015, and the second is Patriot Park, 2019.

(Mystic: there are 4 years between these photographs of the same tank. But the file names are the same! I just discovered it.)

I have heard different opinions on this matter, but from what I have seen myself, shown and will continue to show you, the changes have clearly been beneficial.

I post materials on Kubinka, just like on a bunch of other museums, in Russian on my website www.fromSalekhard.ru . There are already well over a hundred reports there. Just over a third of them have been translated into English. We have many small museums and many historical items that are of interest only to Russians or residents of the USSR.

Nevertheless, you can go over them on the Russian-language part of my site. Simply translating these reports makes no sense. However, if someone thinks the opposite, please let me know. I will be very happy to duplicate the material here in English (everyone seems to understand what I am writing here).

I plan to translate reports on large military-technical museums and post them on this forum. By large museums I mean museums for which one day is not enough. I have already shown you examples of such museums: the Museum in Verkhnyaya Pyshma and the Zadorozhny Museum. The rest will be of the same scale. But there will most likely not be such a very detailed review again. For Kubinka this is the only right decision, because most of the exhibits here are unique, experimental and single specimens. This is a really difficult and tedious task.

Well, since I worked hard and translated the report for you, I duplicated it on my website.

Kubinka. Introduction.
Kubinka. № 1 Heavy tanks and self-propelled guns of the USSR.
Kubinka. № 3 Light and amphibious tanks and APC…
Kubinka. No. 4 Armored personnel carriers and infantry fighting vehicles.
Kubinka. No. 5 Armored vehicles of foreign countries
Kubinka. No. 6 Monsters of the Wehrmacht. US armored vehicles.

The text in both cases is almost the same. On this forum there is only one photograph for each exhibit, but on my site there are several (in most cases four - from all diagonals). It’s not because I’m greedy. It’s just that on my website I implemented such a technical possibility, but here on the forum it is impossible. Here I have to insert HTML code into my posts. But here the resolution of the photographs is higher.
You can check. :grinning:

I am finishing the report about Kubinka. Then (someday) I will post a review of the missed pavilion No. 2 and, if they appear there, photos of the new exhibits. Probably even this year.

Thanks for your attention everyone. See you in the next museum!

14 Likes

Thank you Yuri! This has been a wonderful trip and a wealth of information!

7 Likes

Yuri, Thank you for providing us with this wonderful tour. Your hard work in compiling such amazing subject matter is duly appreciated!

—mike

5 Likes

That was pretty amazing to see all those Russian tanks like that, and in such excellent condition, even if some of then do not run. What is also very impressive, is that it looks like they have nearly every type of wagon, and prototype as well. Very interesting indeed.
Thanks for taking so much time to post and sort out all these images.

7 Likes

Probably making space if they get lucky and manage to capture an intact American M1A2 Abrams from Ukraine… Just sayin’.

I remember a similar declaration from one of the aircraft maintenance staff at the Planes of Fame museum in Chino, California: “There are two kinds of aircraft engines – the ones that leak oil, and the ones that don’t have any oil in them.”

5 Likes

Obviously, this holiday weekend you have nothing better to do than look at Russian tanks. :laughing:
I actually don’t think so, of course. This year I was able to visit the museum in Kubinka again and take photographs of the previously missed pavilion No. 2 “Combat Power of the Urals,”

which is dedicated to tanks produced at the Ural military factories. So I would like to close this topic this year.
Kubinka greeted me with New Year’s landscapes. Although this was a month ago.

But the pavilions are warm and light.

After exploring a small exhibition of tank rollers

let’s take the left side

I really liked this self-propelled gun - I’ll have to assemble it.

Damn! And this one too.

Previously, I either did not come across or did not pay attention to a device to prevent water from entering the exhaust system.

Well, we have reached the end of the pavilion, i.e. we looked through half of the exhibits. We can, with a feeling of satisfaction, look back at the path we have traveled from all sides.

And evaluate the prospect.

7 Likes

And go on the way back.

Already on the right side, which looks like the left from here.

Even with a transparent plate, but it doesn’t do much good.

In compensation for this, the engine was shown separately.

Now this museum has been completely examined!

Happy New Year!
It’s good to meet it, it’s good to live it with dignity.

9 Likes

That’s impressive, awesome post, Yuri!

4 Likes

Happy New Year Yuri! May you find peace and happiness in 2024. Thank you for this most interesting tour.

3 Likes