Kubinka, armored vehicles museum

Yuri thank you for your incredible effort to photograph and detail all of these exhibits at this truly amazing museum.

most of us can only dream of visiting such a marvellous museum so we really appreciate the work you have done here, can i ask; do these vehicles still run, are they driven outside for the public to watch?

2 Likes

Thanks for a fine tour of an impressive museum! It looks like it would take at least a week just to see all the exhibits. If I ever found my way over, I’d want to find the nearest hotel for a long stay!

1 Like

I was wondering that myself- pretty much all of them appear in great shape- perhaps they get taken out for a run the odd time?

Loving all the various experimental vehicles- I’m always fascinated by these.

2 Likes

I think that most of them are not on the go. Those that are in working condition are easy to distinguish - there are boxes with sand underneath them. As we say, “If oil doesn’t leak from Soviet equipment, it means it’s all leaked out.” I showed those tanks that travel constantly in the first report.
It is possible to restore some equipment. About five years ago the T-35 was restored to running condition, and last year the Panzerkampfwagen V Panther was restored using original parts.

7 Likes

The last time I was there was two full days: from the opening of the museum to its closing. I have not yet shown you even one quarter of what was planned. And this is just for one museum, but I want to show you several that are comparable. So be patient.
PS. Yes, there is a place to stay for the night. I’ll talk about this later.

5 Likes

If I had to pick just one… I couldn’t so I picked two. Thanks for taking the time to share these pictures with us :beer:

4 Likes

As Russians say in foreign films: “Na zdorov’ye!”
And then some more photos:

10 Likes

As some Californians say in appreciative exclamation, “Dude!” :beer:

3 Likes

Very nice set of photo’s.
Interesting to see the camo nets on the BTR40A & the BTR60PB - you wouldn’t happen to have close up photo’s of the netting?

Mal

1 Like

And a few more photos on this topic. And at the same time an announcement of planned publications.

These are different museums.

8 Likes

Only this one.

I’m not an expert, but it seems to me a modern design. Here on the armored personnel carrier from above - it’s different.

5 Likes

As always, let’s rest halfway and look back

and let’s move on.

When they were going to create the first infantry fighting vehicle, they held a competition of concepts for the future BMP. Among the contenders were: wheeled product, wheeled-tracked, tracked-wheeled and fully tracked. So all the characters are here, standing in a row.

I should have leaned lower, but I already have problems with my back.

And everyone already knows which concept won.

11 Likes

Thanks
Yes looks like the Allied WWII hessian /burlap strip nets but with modern plastic/vinyl garnish. Main difference is that the pattern is a lot tighter. Gives quite a different look

Mal

1 Like

Does any manufacturer make the rail conversion?

1 Like

It became interesting myself. I didn’t discover it.

3 Likes

Museum workers would not be themselves if they had not placed exhibits of a slightly different focus in the hangar. And if the BMP driver mechanic simulator still fits into the theme,

but the M-5 aircraft engine – no.

Even taking into account the fact that it was installed on BT-5 tanks. The name and theme of the pavilion are not tanks.

And, traditionally, a farewell look back.

10 Likes

Kubinka. No. 5 Armored vehicles of foreign countries

So the pavilions with Soviet-Russian armored vehicles ended, foreign equipment began.

The Churchill crocodile doesn’t fit anywhere in its entirety, you’ll have to look at it separately: the tank

and trailer.

Handsome!

This tank may have more shortcomings than its namesake, but in my time I had a fair amount of time with it.

11 Likes

And this is strange: never armored vehicles, but clearly foreign.

13 Likes

Keep them coming, Yuri! This is a monstrous, wonderful thread you are doing for us! We all are so thankful for all of your hard work!

2 Likes

Thank you. I will try to post the entire series of planned reports in full.

1 Like