Kubinka, armored vehicles museum

This year I had a very fruitful season: I visited 10 cities in 3 countries 15 times. Some trips were purely for museums, others had other reasons, but I tried to visit museums in any case. I have a bunch of photographs in my hands of most of the VERY large Russian military museums. Which I want to show to Russian modelers and to you.
The museum of armored vehicles in Kubinka has already been mentioned in previous publications. I’ve been there several times, and will be there again.
It is located 70 km from Moscow and can be reached by commuter train in 1-1.5 hours.

The history of the tank museum in Kubinka began in 1930, when it was decided to build a testing ground for armored vehicles here, and in 1938 a research institute attached to it. The museum on this site was founded in 1972, but since it remained within the structure of the Ministry of Defense, it was extremely difficult to get there. My first visit, already in this century, was made by appointment and with a passport. Moreover, it took me half an hour to get from the nearest highway on foot. There is now regular bus service here.

For the English-speaking public, an article on Kubinka Tank Museum - Wikipedia can serve as introductory material. It is not entirely comprehensive and is a little outdated, but overall it is quite truthful. Although they no longer ask for your passport at the entrance, and they sell tickets without it. You can generally buy them online.

The grounds are very clean and decent.

The souvenir stall is decorated in the spirit of a museum.

There are a lot of signs – you won’t get lost even if you don’t know the language. Toilets in Russia are designated by the English abbreviation WС. Well, you can understand where each pavilion is without knowing the language – our numbers are the same.

Closer to the entrance there are a couple of laconic monuments: to tank crews

and military motorcyclists.

You can climb onto the latter and take a couple of selfies. I didn’t do this: selfies are not my thing, and climbing monuments is not mine either.

But the main thing about it is not this, but SIX! such pavilions with exhibits,

a significant number of which are unique, even one-of-a-kind, or landmark armored fighting vehicles. The hangars are numbered and have a specific theme.

Namely:

No. 1. Heavy tanks and self-propelled guns of the USSR.

No. 2. Armor power of the Urals.

No. 3. Light amphibious tanks and armored personnel carriers. Tanks from the Kharkov plant. Armored vehicles of the Airborne Forces.

No. 4. Armored personnel carriers and infantry combat vehicles.

No. 5. Armored equipment of foreign countries.

No. 6. Monsters of the Wehrmacht. US armored vehicles.

I will post photo galleries of them later. Because there’s nothing special to write about there, you just have to look there!

There are another couple of hangars, structurally the same, but for repair and restoration.

All hangars have become younger and have acquired a modern look.

The left photo is from 2015, the right - is this year.

And most importantly – the barriers have been removed! When I assembled the IS-7 in 2016, photographs of its rear were taken out almost from under the counter. And now there’s his ass from all angles.

At the end of the territory there is a very tasty place: a zone of dynamic displays.

It would be interesting to visit it during the action!

There is still some equipment behind a flimsy fence.

The purpose of her being there remained unknown. At the entrance/exit it is clear – there is a sign, but here it is not clear.

The military, how can we understand them? They even have militarized bird feeders.

23 Likes

To be continued…

5 Likes

I’ve heard of the Kubinka museum and seen some photos but nothing as comprehensive as this. Thanks for taking the time to post this :+1:!

2 Likes

fantastic pictures of the museum, please post more soon.

2 Likes

Kubinka has one of the most comprehensive collections of WW2 German armor you can ever find. Most of this equipment was captured during Operation Barbarossa, before that, they took a lot of captured gear there for testing (Kubinka was the Soviet version of APG or Burlington in the UK).

They also have a serious collection of western gear that has been captured and donated to the Russians. They have a lof of tanks and APCs from the Vietnam War that was donated by the North Vietnamese, like M24 Chaffees from French Indochina, M41 Walker Bulldogs from the ARVN, American M48s and M113s, as well as Israeli M51s and M60s captured by Egypt). I think recently, the Russians returned an M48 Magach 3 from the First Lebanon War that was captured by the Syrians.

7 Likes

Before we even see the rest of the museum I want to say this is a cool shop. The genius behind this design deserves a raise…and he need to send me that ammo belt :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you for your interest. I hoped it would be interesting and I was not mistaken. Next, I will show you each exhibit available for general inspection. And for each of them I will show a museum plaque translated by the Yandex.Translator service for graphic files. There the text does not always fit well, but it will always be clear to you. That’s how it is here.

Prepare yourself for a long journey!

7 Likes

Kubinka. № 1 Heavy tanks and self-propelled guns of the USSR.

When you walk into this pavilion you are immediately blown away! No, not from that.

From this too, but a little later. But from this:

The very first pavilion of the best armored museum immediately dots all the “i”, showing that the army has the most important thing!

And then, on a “full” stomach, we go to look further.

But I was so enchanted with the IS-7 that I forgot to take a photo of the sign. Sorry.

Having reached the wall, we look back – with great pleasure we survey the path we have traveled,

18 Likes

I apologize: the signs with text do not open to full screen (if you open them in another browser tab, they open fine there). This was a test demonstration. I’ll fix this a little later. I need to get ready.

3 Likes

Yuri, this is really a lot of work you are doing for us. Thank you! We appreciate it greatly! It is so wonderful to have a tank-by-tank view of this world famous but seldom viewed museum. Well done!

4 Likes

I agree with Matt. Thanks Yuri.

3 Likes

I corrected the pictures. Now they both open the same way for each tank.
I (tried) to photograph most of the exhibits from four corners, so if you are interested in something, write, I will post the rest of the photographs.
We have several hundred tanks and other armored vehicles ahead of us. I’ll try not to delay this too much.
I hope you are satisfied with the format of the material.

5 Likes

I really like the format — nicely done. And thank you for taking the time to share these fantastic images with the community.

—mike

3 Likes

Before painting I dropped one stand from the SA-N-7 & SA-N-12. :sob:
I’ll fix it tomorrow, but for today I’m upset and will calm myself down by posting photos of tanks here. At the same time, I’ll look at it again myself.

Just today, one of the new Russian companies (DVC) released a test print in 1/72 and 1/35 scales.

And “Tyul’pan” left without a sign! Slob.

PS. It’s a difficult task to sort through three hundred files in a heap of one and a half thousand. If I made a mistake, then excuse me, point out the mistake – I will correct it. The same applies to subsequent photo galleries, so as not to write every time.

16 Likes

Kubinka. № 3 Light and amphibious tanks and APC…

During the visit, I skipped pavilion No. 2 “Armor power of the Urals”, considering it familiar and hoping to have time to visit it after all the others. I made a mistake. So I have a reason to visit this place again. I will undoubtedly add to this material later.
So next we have pavilion No. 3 “Light and amphibious tanks and armored personnel carriers. Tanks of the Kharkov plant. Airborne armored vehicles.”

(On the light board - this is not a translation of the picture, there is actually some kind of inscription in two languages running there.)

There are no surprises here: what is the name of the pavilion – so it seems to be.

I won’t sort them as in the name of the pavilion, but first we’ll look from the right side, we’ll get to the end, turn around and continue – again from the right side.

Such a UFO on caterpillar tracks deserves to be viewed from another angle.

14 Likes

I love the bench

3 Likes

Thank you Yuri, this is a superb walk-around you’re providing. And your use of the English language is also excellent, something that we English-speakers usually fail to appreciate. I know that if I was communicating in a foreign language I would want to know if I was being understood – rest assured you certainly are, bravo. :clap: :clap:

4 Likes

Thanks, but this is more the merit of Google. I, understanding the language a little, correct either the original text or choose a more suitable option. When I studied English at school and college, the likelihood of encountering a native speaker was not just zero, but negative. I might as well learn the Martian language. As it turned out later, most of my “teachers” also did not hear real English speech.

6 Likes

Let’s turn around and take in all this splendor

and back, head to the right.

I’ll show his twin brother from a different angle.

And a couple more.

Another “family”.

For those who didn’t fall in love with it at first sight, I suggest you take another look.

I think that even this will not help you fall in love with him.

We passed another hangar – incredibly interesting, a little sad that everything is already behind us and we want to run on, because there is still a lot of interesting things waiting there.

And I almost tripped on the way out!

Why did they put him here? He’s completely car-like!

11 Likes

Kubinka. No. 4 Armored personnel carriers and infantry fighting vehicles.

In the middle of the journey, you no longer feel hungry, but not yet full. And you already boldly cross the threshold of the next pavilion.

The mirrored nature of the entrance also dictates the mirrored nature of the bypass – clockwise, keeping your head to the left.

I don’t know how to proceed, but the beginning is in chronological order.

To understand the extent of the changes in the museum, I will show you a photo of the same armored car from 2015.

Rated? And now they simply warn you that you shouldn’t climb. And touch it as much as you want!

Moving on.

And yet, I got confused and missed one of this family.

Another reason to visit again and correct yourself.

For such a floating machine, the nickname “frog” clearly suggests itself,

but in the army it was called a “bardak" ("mess”) in consonance with the official name.

10 Likes