LAV 3 Scenic base

This is where I started to try and do the dust on it and that sucked really bad. The very matte surface absorbed the enamel dust I was using and would not blend out. SOOOOO, I ended up covering it up with my airbrush in big disappointment. It just felt too strong.

As you can see the dust is just too strong and I ended up using oils instead.

I also plan to go back and revise all this. The photos above represent a test to see if oils would work even and I was willing to go through with it. Like I said I am going to gack and finish it up. The turret in the pics is finished and here are the pics of that.

Any Critique especially on the turret is welcome and appreciated!

22 Likes

That is some outstanding work on the LAV. Beautiful finish from the base coat to the weathering.

Thank you!

The pre-painted photos of your build made my jaw drop. The painted photos made my eyes pop.
Outstanding.

I personally thing the dust effect looks great! The whole thing is a beauty

1 Like

Indeed a fantastic model!!

Thanks!

Nice recovery on the LAV… I actually like the dust on it … When we out in Bosnia in the summer tour, the dust was probably as heavy on our CVRTs most of the time … Just the occasional rain shower thinned it out … Top work it though … Looks superb

WOW! WOW! What an outstanding build you have done.
This is master class :grinning:

Stellar build dude , very , very cool !!!
Excellent pe work also !!!

I disagree. I don’t think the dust is troo strong at all–or at least it doesn’t appear so in the photos. Awesome result!

:beer:

2 Likes

Very nice progress. The dio base is looking sharp. Great to see your LAV III updates since we chatted at the model show in October. Well done on the C7A2s as well!

Hey! it has been a while. Good to see you here as well!

Could you share the method you used for the dust? I have a Canadian Leopard C2 in Afghanistan I need to weather and this is the exact look I am after

I like the little details, like the water bottles taped to the antennas as ballast, the air horn, the spent shell casings; even the case of “Monster” energy drink.

It’s amazingly detailed.

5 Likes

Check your FB messages when you get a chance.

I airbrushed the dust first with Tamyia Buff and maybe a splash of something else, I don’t remember. I then use oil paints, again buff, and flat earth. On the turret that is all, I used for dirt and dust. On the hull, I also used AK dry ground terrain paste for its base texture.

1 Like

Thanks!

The water bottles are not for ballast though. The crew would put IR glowsticks in them for nighttime identification like a left most vehicle or lead one which would have different combos from different bottles.

2 Likes

Ah! Makes sense.

Crikey, that is a LOT of PE!