Lav's on the move

Looking good… That’s a lot of work gone into all those… I like some of those stowage sets. Very good :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Your LAV’s look great! There’s one problem with the stowage on the -25’s, though. You’ve got the scout hatches covered/obstructed with it. We stowed our gear on the hull sides and to the sides of the rear doors, there were always scouts in the hatches when we were on the move.

1 Like

incredible job!
go on
nice mix of Lav’s
which kind of wheels do you use on Esci ones?
I follow you

1 Like

The other problem is all the different era crewmen and dismounts you have mixed together. You have old PASGT vests, IBA body armor, IOTV armor, no armor, USMC plate carriers, etc. all mixed together. All these vests are from different time periods and were not used together.

2 Likes

Thank you, I know I blocked some hatches, but that is just because I wanted to put all that stowage on them. I didn’t blok all of them though… and have one of them even opened, intended to put a figure there.
I will keep that in mind for a next build though. :+1:

Yes, that will probably be caused by me using four different boxes of figures, mixing armes, bodies and legs up to get the guys posing the way I wanted… even had to break some arms and stitch them up again…
Mind you, it is not as bad as was shown in MASH for instance… people wearing what ever they felt like, like Klinger… would make a nice adition to a diorama… :grinning:

Thank you, coming from someone with your skills that means a lot!

I have 3 spare sets of Trumpeteer wheels and tyres, and otherwise just the wheels that came with the kit. I dit find an article on how to create sag in those rubber tyres, think I will try that. I don’t intend to buy sagged wheel sets, they cost more than the kits themselves.

I know you’re far along in construction but FYI: according to Cookie Sewell the ESCI Lavs need a lot of work to improve their accuracy. He did a review years ago and it’s still on his modeling website.

1 Like

Tnx, Stickpusher and white4docs mentioned the lack of aurate details on these kits as well, but I usually just build them as the kit comes.
I sure did notice differences between the brands: Trumpeteer LAVs are the longest, ESI the shortest :grinning: You really see this when you fit the top of one hull onto the lower part of another hull… longer and wider… about 2 mm.
Hatches and handles that are present on one kit are missing on another, noticed this with Piranha versions of ESCI and Italeri, suspencion is different with each brand, as is the whole underside… Trumpeteer most detailed of the three.

Looking forward to your completed project. Great work so far.

Wow, That’s a challenge. So large, and so many vehicles, and so many figures, too.
You’re a braver man (modeler) than I am, to take on something that big.
It all looks great! I love all the stowage - it makes each vehicle unique, and gives them that ‘lived in’ look that’s so typical.

Thanks, I want to see more…

thank you for kind words. Updates will come…

Painted up the figures, not finished yet, faces need patching up, but got the uniforms… I like it myself, eventhough the spots are probably too big… repainted them 3 times, stripped them from the paint cause I didn’t like the combination of colors… used XF76 for the green, and finally liked this combination.

I used this Getty image as a reference:

5 Likes

It has been a while, so thought I will show you some updates… been doing some detailing on the figures and painted the LAVs…

12 Likes

Color schemes on the LAVs are looking real good. Nice variation as well. :+1: :+1:

Thank you.

The problem with doing 8 LAV’s at the same time… you’ve got 64 wheels to do…

6 Likes

Man that’s a lot of work! It’s looking good. Don’t forget to check the air pressure :grinning:
/Erik

Thanks, and about that air pressure…

the LAV’s are loaded up but didn’t want to buy resin weighed wheels, they cost more per set than the actual vehicle itself… so… hot air blower, heating up a wheel slightly… pushing it gently onto the surface…

8 Likes

If you use this tip than be prepared to loose a couple of wheels… good thing I bought some kits second hand and got a couple of sets of trumpeteer wheels in the deal… just have to figure out how to get them weighed…

and found a tip on how to make weight in tires, so for those who are interested:

www.ak-masters.com/app/tut/AK%20TIRES%20TUTORIAL.pdf

So, been busy trying to use that AK tip… Pictures: three stages of doing a tyre:

6 Likes