Le Superbe, 74 gun Ship of the Line

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the advice, it ties in with with my thinking, I am going ofr a custom mix of a pale dull yellow.

Merry Christmas, hope you get some time at the bench too,

Cheers, Si

As this will be my last post before Christmas.

A Merry Christmas and Happy new year to all shipmates.

Cheers, :beers: :christmas_tree:

Si

1 Like

Some progress over the holiday season.

I did aquire some Nihilakh Oxide, and I have had a go with it. A wet coat applied to an area
on the port side with a wash brush.

Wiped down with a bit of kitchen roll.

Most of the starboard side done.

A wash of “Kroak green” applied (another citadel paint, it has a slight blueish tinge,)

need touching in around the bow and stern.

More soon.

Cheers. Si

5 Likes

What a beautiful effect!

1 Like

Really nice, that is the effect I was looking for in my Superbe!

As Danie before mentioned the corrosion is more heavy in the area “between wind and water” where the copper is exposed to the air.

Cheers

Tom

1 Like

Looks very nice.

1 Like

Thank you Tim,

Your comment is very much appreciated, I am rather pleased with the that experiment in weathering copper sheathing went.

All the best for 2023.

Cheers, Si

Thank you Tom,

I agree, the area twixt wind and water could be a bit more heavily weathered, I minded to leave it as it is, rather than risk spoiling the finish.

All the best for 2023.

Cheers, Si

Thank you Danie,

Much appreciate you looking in.

All the best of 2023

Cheers, Si

Here comes the 1st update of 2022.

The light yellow painted in along the gunports.

Before progessing I decided to do a first test fit of the lower mast sections. One slight issue issue with the foremast.

However, a bit of clamping and Tamiya extra thin quick drying soon cured it, all three sections test fitted.

They all line up spot on looking from bow to stern, the mizzen has room to loose some of the rake when fixed in place.

The guns for the lower gundeck with their barrels test fitted in place.

The first four painted. The barrels were base coated matt white, the glossy almost greasy feeling red plastic a good primer is needed fot the metalic to take. I used Citadel Corax white out of the rattle can, the barrels were then brushed with warplock bronze and given a matt black wash to take some shine off.

And finall the black strakes painted in.

Thee starboard side is coming on too, both still need a little tidy up.

More soon,

Cheers, Si

4 Likes

Cracking update,Si! :slightly_smiling_face:

Happy New Year, too! :slightly_smiling_face:

Ah! That’s how to solve long build times - a TARDIS! (also accommodates the stash, however big it gets).

Cheers

M

1 Like

That tarnish effect on the copper is very clever. Really gives a proper look to it all. Very nice

Now that’s quite something different form your shipyard, Si!

I’m late and still trying the catch up with everything I missed out on during the last months on MSW Ships section…so I’m reporting on board late, but count me in!
Very nice work so far!

Cheers
Jan

Hi Si,

coming together nicely. :slight_smile:

Glue the barrels and the guns very strongly together and to the deck. Knocking them off after the upper deck is installed is a PITA. Ask me how I know…

Cheers

Tom

Thanks Russ,

She is coming along, I am enjoying the difference in the build process after three years on the Bismarck. The only aftermarket I have bought are two reals of thread, one black for the standing rigging, and one in a dull light tan for the running rigging.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Nice one, then Mrs Duster couldn,t complain about the size of the stash, or me spending all afternoon at the bench.

Cheers, Si

Thanks Johnny, the Citadel “technical” paints are very good at creating these sort of effects, as well as plenty of useful tutorials on line.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers, Si

Welcome aboard Jan,

It is different, but three years on the Bismarck I thought a complete change of subject was called for the, kit has been in the stash for the thick edge of 30 years, and it was a gift from Mrs Duster, so it was time to get it built.

Cheers, Si

Thanks for the advice Tom,

I am guessing you an issue with one or two coming loose on your build.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

I suppose the sneaky solution would be to drill a hole through barrel, carriage and deck then secure all together with a pin glued through all., creating a mechanical bond as well as adhesive. It would not be too visible through the tiny gunports.

Two-component glue did the trick for me :wink:.

Cheers

Tom

Not a bad Idea Danie, the other thing that crossed my mind was breeching ropes. I am to ensurea good clean plastic-plastic contact and Tamiya extra thin quick drying to get a good chemical weld. that will mean some cleaning up of the deck, the barrels and gun carriages are being cleaned up as I go along. I will also add a drop of extra thin gator grip to the wheels jsut to be on the safe side.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers, Si

Thanks Tom,

That is another goog thought.

Thanks for looking in,

Cheers, Si