Le Superbe, 74 gun Ship of the Line

If the guns are run out, the breeching ropes would be slack. I suppose with a decent resin 3D printer you could print a little forest of breeching ropes already shaped to drape over the cascabel and glue to the inside of the hull, but I don’t think you’d get much additional stability for all the work, and it wouldn’t be visible enough through the gun ports to make the effort worthwhile. The extra glue where the wheels touch the deck would pay off better, in my opinion.

Good point Sean,

However, now you mention it, I think I will stick with the double glue plan, taking a second look, even if I used PVA or Cyno to stiffen breeching ropes they might not do much.

Welcome aboard and thanks for looking in.

Cheers, Si

The reason why I pointed it out is that the breeching ropes are intended to stop the gun carriage when it reaches the maximum recoil distance, so would only be taut when the gun is at full recoil; depending on the cannon and ship, the line is going to be pretty slack when the gun is run out, and wouldn’t give much additional anchorage unless it was rigid plastic or soaked in glue to make it rigid:

side_tackle

@ Si
@ srmalloy: Nice picture! Even if you do not do all the tackles for the lower deck guns, you should consider it for the visible guns on the upper deck, foc’sle and quarterdeck.
I did a simplified version with just the slack breech rope.
I generally recommend to simplify rigging a bit. You anyway cannot replicate any block or belaying point in this scale.

Cheers

Tom

Great photo, I could do something with breeching ropes, but it is making a lot of work that won’t be seen. Done too much of that over the years as a kitbasher. :thinking:

Cheers. Si

Hi Tom,

Agree on that, and the guns on the upper gun deck thtat are under the boat stowage, they will need training tackles as well, but those I can handle. The rigging, I will likely simplify some of it, the master plan is to keep going until I am happy with it.

Models like this I have no deadline for, if I finish it this year, next year, or even the year after, that is not important. Knowing when to stop is!.

Thanks for looking in, your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Cheers, Si

All the lower gun deck guns built and painted.

The first two fitted in place, the white goo round the wheels is Gator grip extra thin. it will shrink back and go clear.

All the guns fitted on the lower gundeck. with the two spares and the first of the four anchor cables made up.

The upper gundeck given a mist coat, and pre washed ready for spraying light tan, along with all four anchor cables.

More soon.

Cheers, Si

5 Likes

Wow Si,
quite some repetitive work with all those guns - almost like the small AA on late WW2 ships…some blood stain on the deck behind that one gun? :wink: Could almost be realistic, the probably wasn’t the best place to work down there…

Very nice work,

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Hi Jan,

Thank you for looking in, they were a little repetative, all 30 of them, 28 used, especially as the barrels needed drilling out. At least there was no microscopic etch.

Only another 46 guns to go. No blood on the deck, wouldn’t be visible right down there, and the French Navy managed to wreck this one without any help from the Royal Navy. The lower gundeck must have been hell in battle, confined full of smoke, the enemy’s iron, and most leathal of all flying showers wood splinters.

Mind, I don’t think it was much fun on the quarterdeck either.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Some progress since the last update.

The upper gundeck airbrushed a light woos colour mix of XF57 Buff, with a little XF19 sky grey.

The anchor cables fitted, the mess will be hidden, and I have checked that area will not foul the bowsprit.

The ladder down to the lower gundeck fitted in place, and painted. The caulking arounf the opening in the maindeck has been picked out with a black wash. With the masts and rigging in place it may well won’t be visible.

The upper gundeck in place, the bulkhead at the forward is test fitted

Next, fit details to the upper gundeck and start building the 30 guns.

More soon.

Cheers, Si

7 Likes

Nice progress here, too!

Another 30 guns…

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Thanks J

Thanks Jan,

I have started on then, two so far 28 to go. I have another update to post, then it may be a while whilst I get those guns built…

Cheers, Si

The latest.

The upper deck and the masts test fitted in place.

A comparison, the lower gun deck 36pdrs and the upper gun deck 18pdrs.

The details fitted on the upper gun deck, I doubt the capstan will be visible, the boats stacked in the opening will hide most of what is below the main deck. the lowest one is built and test fitted.

The upper deck test fitted again.

A few issues, noteably the aft pair of stantions appear slightly to long, they have bee straightened and that can be fixed. I will need to add a some more caulking too.

More when i have finished the other 28 guns.

Cheers, Si

4 Likes

Looks good, Si!

Good luck and patience with your 28 guns…

Cheers
Jan

Looks very nice! Building a sailing ship is a Marathon job. Go it slowly :slight_smile:

Cheers

Tom

1 Like

Thanks Jan,

Got another 10 done over the weekend, only 18 to go.

Hope to ahve enough for another update in a week or so.

Cheers :beers:

Si

1 Like

Shanghaied

4d

Looks very nice! Building a sailing ship is a Marathon job. Go it slowly :slight_smile:

Cheers

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I am in no rush, there is no deadline on this build, i will let this develope at it’s own pace.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers, Si

Finally, time update a lot of short sessions.

The boats coming on and test fitted in place,

All 30 guns for the upper gun deck assembled.

The real pain is now painitng them

Structure going on arounf the bow, the instructions and the box top and side photos are no help, they all show the stern,

I can’t be too far out, as the bowsprit fits, here test fitted with the forenast,

More soon,

Cheers, Si

7 Likes

Si,

great work! And I always thought, the AAA of later WW 2 configurations was repetitive work…

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Thanks Jan,

Painting them is a process too. the gun carriages are sprayed red and the wheels brush paited black. This will sound odd, but the barrels are rattlecanned white, then brushed with a dark bronze, and then given a matt black wash to dull them down.

May be slighlty less frustrating than 30 350th 20mm from etch and turned brass. :thinking:

Cheers, Si