Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore

DISPLAY BASE Stealing a line from The Raven with apologies to Eager Allan Poe

“Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore;—
’Tis the wind and nothing more!”

2 Likes

In this vignette, I wanted to capture the feeling of a wooded hillside with the shaded area under the naked, fall canopy of an old growth, oak forest. The base was created with contoured Styrofoam and covered with Green Stuff World leaf litter.

Trees were formed from combinations of wood dowel, wire, paper ,Milliput Superfine White Epoxy Putty, white glue, Teloxis Aristata - Dioramapresepe, and plastic sprue.

Photoetched ivy runs under the trees.

4 Likes

. The Raven and annoying grey squirrel were represented with other 3D printed offering from Shapeways. Deep into that darkness peering, antlers appeared everywhere.

6 Likes

The intent was to convey how fatigue from sitting for hours in the heat or cold without moving, in silence, with fading sunset can play tricks on your mind and eyes. For example, a tree stump in the gathering darkness may (in the year before) have developed pointy ears and a curly tail.

4 Likes

.Then could have started to resemble a crouching, feral pig. Was that a misguided Rage Mechanical arrowhead stuck in a stump from last year?

3 Likes

The reality of a nice, ten-point white tail deer walking left to right then, in that moment, became even more striking.

3 Likes

This was a fun project. Thanks for looking.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Great looking project. Love the arrowhead base.
:+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Thank you my friend! Always good to have something finally finished and on the shelf

1 Like

I hear that. It makes me want to take a walk in woods today.

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

Remember when carbon arrows were a new thing and looked down on by purists?

1 Like

Yes. The consistency of a quality carbon shaft is hard to beat with wood. Especially with modern crossbows generating so much power, one does not want a bolt exploding so close to your arm and face during the launch. I feel the higher velocity bolts, with a good broad head, are more accurate and less likely to simply wound. Keep the hobby safe and humane, right?

3 Likes

Really nice work and inspiring - got me thinking of trying a similar piece with my hunting partner-

4 Likes

Thank you and great looking pup there!

1 Like

Thanks and if only he was a pup again - this past
fall / winter marked our thirteenth year of quail hunting together.

3 Likes

Sad how such loyal friends live such short lives.

2 Likes