Let's see our Stash

Almost any of the newer kits build up nice, Trumpeter, Fujima and even Aoshima. I have built a couple by Flyhawk and they are great but they have a HIGH part count even in the regular version (which I build). I’m not a fan of PE and rarely use it. Any small tweezer part that these Mark 60 eye cannot see what it is supposed to represent is likely to stay on the sprue/fret. One further thing about Flyhawk is that many parts such as masts are delicate and very difficult to get off the sprue without breaking

By the late 1990’s the stash hit a peak of just over ~350 models. Vending had whittled it down to ~60 by 2009. Dragon’s steady release of new Pz IV kits got me buying again by 2012. Slowly the collection swelled up around ~225 kits. Not being a collector, no longer vending, completing at best 6 to 10 models a year when active now, I realized no point in having a 40 year supply of kits.

Today my stash after adding newer kits, moving and downsizing by sharing is ~150 kits. Probably 90% WW2 focused. Mostly armor plus few WW aircraft and a couple of ships… There’s a raffle won Italeri Leopard 1A4, that’s been in the stash since the late 1989.

2 Likes

I’m impressed with everyone here. No photos of my stash but last time I counted there was just under 400 kits. When I retired I told myself I needed no more kits… you know how that goes. I have 4 new kits coming in the mail. The subject matter of new kits is so diverse, the new mold technology, all the new companies and the box art! It all sucks me in.
All that said, I have slowed considerably in my buying. In the early 2000’s I averaged about 100-200 USD pre month spent on the hobby. My recent $100 purchase is the first expenditure in 2021.
All that aside, I am impressed with everyone’s “stash” here but also envious of some. (who wouldn’t want a hobby stores worth of kits and accessories? :slight_smile: )

Cheers,
C.

Encouragement to Expand the Stash.

According to Andy at Andy’s Hobby HQ, kit prices will be going up across the board for model kits. Cost of raw materials and shipping are up. Allegedly, in the part of China where most manufacturers are located there’s an electricity/power shortage so manufacturing can only run 4 days a week.

That last one strikes me a like an Enron ploy to force prices up.

1 Like

So your saying I should pull trigger on the Tornado ADV and AFV club FV4005 I have been hovering my mouse finger over for a week?

If the information in Andy’s video was accurate probably better to buy sooner than in later if lowest price is critical or one wants to build those models in the near future.

In the USA at least, inflation looks to be getting started again after being basically dormant for many years. Once kit prices click up they seem to be very slow to decline again based on prior experiences.

Okay fine, but if my wife gets mad, I’ll say wade and Andy made me!

I was probably gonna but these soon anyway but now I have an excuse (scapegoat?)

Definitely tell her, Wade made you do it :slight_smile:

Always happy to be an enduring bad influence :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Which video was that, so I can pass the information along.

Gentlemen, after reviewing this topic, I have come to the conclusion that we… that is those on this forum must have some say in what is made. I preface this on the fact that it looks like 70 % of North American sales are tied up in these stashes. :thinking:

1 Like

I am a hobby store employee, can confirm that prices will be going up, though we don’t know by how much. I suspect that Tamiya, Finemolds, Hasegawa etc kits will either not rise at all or will only rise $1-2, as their kits are not made in China. Otherwise, we’re planning on upping our prices for Meng, Takom, etc.

福!

Good fortune!

@Tank_1812 Ryan, here a link to the video.

Andy HHQ - Hobby Update & Look Inside New Warehouse

Starts talking about manufacturing at 2:00 and cost increase first mentioned at 2:24

Probably posted about a week ago.

1 Like

Ordered a Meng Leo 2 A 4. I believe the MSRP is $91. There was quite a difference in price between Sprue Brothers and Scale Hobbiest for this kit. Maybe that explains it.

Maybe but historically I don’t recall Meng kits ever really being cheap when compared to other manufacturers.

Here is my stash (plus library) and all my builds packed up, when I moved to my current home in early 2020

According to my Scalemates inventory, there are a bite fewer than 800 items in there…. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

By the end of 2020, I had shelving installed in the room, my built kits displayed on the shelves, and part of my stash placed into the cabinets below the one wall of shelves

plus an adult beverage area at the end… to sip upon while enjoying the view and contemplating the next project

11 Likes

Gorgeous display room!

Now that is class.

Noice! Really liking the steins.

Now that’s a truly awesome set up!

A+++

Thanks guys! This is my “I’m only leaving in a body bag” home, so I finally was able to get something set up how I had always wanted. Found a local contractor through a friend who does excellent wood work.

5 Likes