Lifting the Fog of War: Command and Control

Lookin sharp Mike.

1 Like
1 Like

Along with the Legend update set I also picked up Eduardā€™s PE set. I am glad I did!

Right off the bat, Iā€™ve found and used four parts from Eduardā€™s set that are integral to the M577ā€™s Iā€™ve had; the two brackets on the driverā€™s side rear. We used them to hold the fuel cans instead of the ballasts (that Iā€™ve never seen in any FA unit Iā€™ve been in). Also, the fuel can brace on the right rear above the ā€œfenderā€ and the bracket on the fender itself. The other part(s) are the two straps that cross the front of the trim vane.

Needless to say, my PE spares box is going to get an influx of brass. :wink:

I just donā€™t remember if it was four or five fuel cans that could be put between the brackets. According to the PE instructions, the forward bracket would sit in the pretty much centered between the two antennas.

Mike

10 Likes

Some great work being done with this Mikeā€¦ Really nice :+1:

2 Likes

I imagine a lot of the 13-Series folks will recognize the box by the fuel cap. :star_struck: Took me FOREVER to find these!

Mike

10 Likes

Looking great, Mike! Very nice details!

2 Likes

Plastic has been cut on my IDF M113 command and control.

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Finally!! All the PE on the roof is done! (dampness is the accelerator)

I did wind up moving the front ballast rack forward enough for five fuel cans.

And where Iā€™ve spent the last couple of hours:

Mike

FRIED right now.

7 Likes

Looks great. :+1:

3 Likes

What @Tank_1812 said!

3 Likes

PE and detailing can be truly mind - numbing. Your eyes burn and your brain just canā€™t concentrate anymore. You step back from the bench in a stupor.
Great work and outstanding results, Mike!

4 Likes

Finally installed the headlight frames and the weld down both sides.

Last PE to install are the curved parts for the tow cable and the straps across the trim vane (I think). With two sets of PE (Legend & Eduard), I need to go through them and see if I forgot something.

The headlights/BO drive/taillights will be installed once primed, painted, and the lenses placed. Then, I think, itā€™ll be safe to install them (very small stem they sit on).

Mike

9 Likes

Outstanding work. The PE headlamp guards and individual lamps are my least favorite, (and often bypassed) part of the aftermarket for M113s.

3 Likes

Kind of blurry, but the Archer Weld Beads turned out pretty darn nice. Iā€™m happy.

I did find a couple more pieces of PE to add which I may get to today.

Mike

6 Likes

Last update for the day. Sure is nice not having to go to work today (but the wife did!).

One of the things about almost all of the M577s Iā€™ve been involved did not have the ā€œmud skirtsā€ installed. We either had them in a CONEX rolled up and maybe theyā€™d be pulled out and installed for some dog and pony show (though we rarely did that) or we straight didnā€™t have them anymore. Seems we always kept the mounts/brackets attached to the track.

Iā€™ve removed the ā€œrubber skirtā€ from the AFV Club parts (black) and drilled out the holes the rubber would have attached to. The Tamiya version (bottom of the picture - green) were larger/taller than Iā€™ve had on my tracks and the front bracket doesnā€™t have the hole to step up to the driverā€™s area (which all mine did).

Depending on how it goes down the road for installing the headlights, etc. I may wind up using the PE parts from the Eduard set for the light mounts and guards. Weā€™ll seeā€¦

Mike

7 Likes

Beautiful work, Mike. Excellent fine details - your work really shows!

Looking forward to see more :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My IDF Zelda is slowly taking shapeā€¦.

3 Likes

Almost ready for primer! A couple of small things to work on prior to that.

The antenna uses the base and PE ring from one set and the whip and spring from another. Probably the best antenna ā€œmatch upā€ Iā€™ve run across.

Mike

9 Likes

A bit more progress on the construction. Next is a base coat and then a lot of stowage.

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Iā€™m enjoying the progress. I may have to see about getting one of these. :slight_smile:

Mike

2 Likes