Lifting the Fog of War: Command and Control

The SR-71 Aircrew are making one of their final appearances.

Tucked away in the fuselage.

Once I close up the canopies they’ll probably never be seen again… :wave:

7 Likes

Bye bye chaps :wave:

2 Likes

Those colours make me think of Rebel Alliance pilots in an antique Mark. It will be interesting to see just what will be visible.

1 Like

Some more work on the Sd.Kfz 263 today, Getting close to the end now. With some careful painting and a nice custom mix of Vallejo paints, I think I have saved the look of the balkencreuz. Once I add flat coat and a little weathering, I’ll see:

11 Likes

Great job on the crosses… Massive difference :+1::+1:

1 Like

My little build is done.

I kinda loved this kit. I bought two more and am eager to build them. There are only two issues and knowing them they will be no problem second time around.

1: the small decals on the sides of the fuel tank were out of register. I touched up where the white overlapped. They are tiny. I’ll just leave them off the next build as they don’t add much really.
2: the wheels need some care. I think there is a way to line up the two halves that I missed as the one that is supposed to be the spare doesn’t fit over the tube sticking up from the back of the side car. The sidecar wheel - I think I would drill it out mostly and use some brass tube to attach it as it’s not given to staying in place - not enough attach surface for the glue. And the rear wheel - I knew this was going to happen - just wouldn’t get into place after I had assembled the rear fender and painted everything separately. Next time I will save attaching the fender and its supports until after painting everything and attaching the wheel.

I’ll put it on a base eventually but not sure what that’s going to look like, so here it is:

8 Likes

Neat little sidecar unit Phil.

I think I’ll do this one now. It’s the same, but a little different.

4 Likes

Horrible rubber tracks installed. Tied down with Conner tread for now. Later some old school hair dryer work to make them settle - especially around the drive sprocket.

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Your APC is lookin’ GOOOOOD!

I felt your pain with the tracks on my M577. I’ve pretty much given up on rubber-band tracks. Metal tracks for Metal Heads!!

Mike

2 Likes

My woodworking friends tell me you can never have too many clamps.

I think they’re right. :wave:

7 Likes

clamps can be your best friend … the 71 is building up nicely …lovely lines on her.

1 Like

@TacFireGuru Thanks for the comment, Mike.

I was considering buying some metal tracks, but honestly feel the rest of the kit does not live up to it. The Academy kit is a big soft and thick on details, so decided to go with the kit tracks. In newer kits I think they have added plastic link and length tracks as an alternative.

More to follow soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The old hairdryer trick worked out pretty well on the tracks. A nice sag without overdoing it.

The Zelda is also all glossed up and ready for further weathering.

More to follow :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Finally the right decals arrived! Canceled one order for the other, yesterday morning ordered, delivered today :grinning:

5 Likes

I really, really need to quit building more than one or two kits at a time. One of these days I’m going to add a chrome exhaust to a tank or something.

Little by little, I’m getting things done with the M577.

Mike

5 Likes

Ain’t nothing wrong with a bit of chrome on your tank! :grin:

Now where did I leave those polished alloy road wheels?..

3 Likes

Managed to push PZL 23 build forward. Applied paints from dedicated Hataka Orange series set with some delicate preshading.
After drying and gloss X-22 layer I applied kit’s decals from Techmod with help of Micro Set & Sol.
Those decals are superb in quality, but extremely thin and fragile (see D marking on bottom wing surface) thus very easy to damage, twist or … some other hard-to-recover twists.

I will have to try to cover up damage to D somehow (either by trying to paint it over with brush and wihte paint or… make some paint scratches). Fortunately it’s bottom of wing, so it won’t be visible on small display vignette I’m planning for Karas.

Here are pics and next onto… making this bird dirty :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Great weathering, Radek!

2 Likes

Lovely PZL 23 Radek. It is coming along nicely. A bummer about the decal. I recently had the same issue with an AFV Club one and had to paint to fix that.

The offset national insignia on the top of the wings is very unusual on aircraft. Adds a special kind of interest.

4 Likes