Look What the Tide Washed Up! (Model Shipwrights)

I bought it locally, but I guess You can order from www.motorbuch.de under Bucher/Marine

1 Like

Should be an interesting read. After the Jutland battle, the only German ships attacking British ships were submarines and torpedo boats.

If you can count something with 1800t displacement and 10,5 cm guns a torpedoboat that is :face_with_monocle:

Those torpedo boats were the precursor of the destroyer.

Small haul from the Museum in Speyer.

4 Likes

Very nice. Be interesting to see how the Hunley builds. Have thought about trying it myself, but that etch prop shroud would defeat me!
Recently found a documentary YouTube about the search and recovery of the Hunley. Wasn’t expecting them to find remains of the crew aboard I’d always assumed they’d escaped before it went under. Must’ve been an absolutely horrendous way to go. And it wasn’t the first fatal accident that the Hunley had. Some surely felt that boat was cursed before they got in it.

On the subject of submersible things, I had this double set from Tamiya arrive.

The I-58 is the earlier fit with the catapult and Glen floatplane. Always found these Japanese submarine/seaplane carriers fascinating. I may have to dig a little deeper into this, really would like to know how well they operated.
And the I-16 has one of the midget subs that took part in the Pearl Harbour raid. Iirc I-16 carried the sub whose crew became the first POW’s?

Should be a fun couple of little projects

6 Likes

9 Likes

Very nice aquisition, I have one in the stash (likely to be more). Little or no aftermarket needed and loads of converion oportunities.

Cheers, Si

Picked these up at the USS Albacore Park in Portsmouth, NH, over the weekend.

Jim

7 Likes

Look what floated down. there is PE for the gondola supports, props and for the BE2 printed plane

Instruction and picture booklet

5 Likes

This arrived today, :slightly_smiling_face:

It goes with the other four Revell 1/72nd U-boats…

I also have their US Gato submarine, whether they’ll ever get built is another matter, :thinking: :face_exhaling:.

G, :beer:

8 Likes

you can store it next to your torpedo boats !!!

2 Likes

Found these two books for 20 Euro in a local Antikvariat. Prooving that gems like these are popping up from time to time in unlikely places. These books are very “german” like and not realy a relaxing sunday read. More like construction plans for a 1:1 submarine… Im sure my chinese produced sub kits will check out just fine against these plans, right ?

5 Likes

That looks interesting!
Not a company I’ve come across yet, will have to check them out.

On a whim I’ve the Airfix reissue of the SRN-1.
And it’s a nice surprise in the box too. Everything looks sharp, no damage to the moulds. A test fit if the upper and bottom showed everything lining up right with no gaps. Probably because Airfix haven’t churned this one out in the billions non-stop since 1960 unlike some of the other oldies. Really nice little decal sheet too.

Should be a good little project and something completely different to the collection at the end.

6 Likes

Interesting looking craft. Never heard of it before today so nice to learn about it.

1 Like

It’s certainly an interesting story. And there’s something wonderfully homemade about the craft. Almost like it was designed and built in someone’s shed!

This is my latest haul: SSModel is, at least to me, a new company which offers some multia media upgrade sets for ships, aircraft and tanks at Ebay. As I have the HMS Queen Elizabeth with Eduard etched upgrade set in queue I was interested in this complement set, too. The set came into a sturdy box and it contains very nice 3d printed parts for two Walrus aircraft, rangefire directors, all secondary gun turrets with lovely visible rivetting, anchor chains, lifeboats and others, turned brass barrels, bollards capstan and others, 9 etched frets and thin metal rigging wire. The price is acceptable for what you get but german VAT and custom taxes made it painfully expensive for me in the end.

Though there are some overlapping with EDUARD etched sets there is also plenty of extra etching which is not covered by the former and the 3D-printed parts are in any case an upgrade to the kit. This could be my next build here… :thinking:

7 Likes

@Black_sheep , looks like you are going to be very busy. I wonder how many optivisers and fine tweezers you will wear out with all that photo witch? I look forward to your progress.

If by the tide one means me and by washed up means transported in my car from the hobby shop, I snared this yesterday. I don’t know why but for some reason I started thinking about this model a couple months ago. Found it at All Nations Hobbies in Stephens City, Virginia.

3 Likes