Looking for an explanation on this M1 MBT

The Combat Vehicle Coating in the above article still shows it three color “NATO-flage.”

This cammo is the next generation of vehicle coatings for reasons I was asked not to share. It is indeed only two colors - whatever led to the three color appearance is anybody’s guess, although I’ll stick to my guess that the roughness where the two colors meets attracts dust more than other areas. Here are a few shots I took today at the refit facility. I can share better ones once I get permission. They’re very paranoid not so much about the coating as they are the tanks, which is silly since they let me photograph the hell out of them last year.

Even though the background of the two photos is different due to lighting conditions changing in a matter of seconds, they do illustrate the color shifting characteristics of the non green color. Even the GD workers have various ideas on the color - chocolate brown, slate gray, even bronze. At any rate, these and others I have clearly show there are only two colors in use.

11 Likes