LZ Models (35201) 1/35 German Water Crane… and then some

Crikey mate it must be hard being you, maybe you’ve become disoriented by the sinister quartet of revolving cranes – just keep turning around in an anti-clockwise direction for…oh…let’s say 24 hours & you should be fine again, that’s what I had to do :dizzy: I think you should delete the “vignette” thread sub-title, this is in danger of becoming an epic dwarfing all your previous projects (PS wasn’t the kid going to stand ON the plinth or did I zone out involuntarily somewhere?) Keep rockin’ bro :muscle: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Oh yeah, previous projects.:man_facepalming: … Time to coin another term: “Project Roulette!”:laughing:

Same stance, different seamstress. That’s just one of the issues I’ve come across while slathering putty around. … Currently, he’s standing on my nerves! :confounded:

On a brighter note… there’s a much nicer cap in Friederich’s future. :billed_cap:

1 Like

Well that’s a relief, that cap reminded me a bit of…

:tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Hey, that’s the skipper! Hey Gilligan!!
Ken

1 Like

Lovely model beautifully built. Tim

1 Like

Nicely done man , hopefully you haven’t developed Locomotive Breath … while the Train Kept A Rollin All Night Long … Crazy Train …

1 Like

Thank god we have enough memory to recall those great old shows! :tv:

@ tankerken, TanksForTheMemory, and Cheyanne, Thank’s for stopping by the siding… and many thank’s for complimenting my craziness! :railway_track: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

—mike

1 Like

Yeah & it makes me muse – that clip’s dated 1958 when we were toddlers/pre-teens watching those shows, 63 years ago for current toddlers/pre-teens. So I think about what was 63 years prior when WE were l’ill kids…OMG…1895…they were just cranking out the very earliest moving pictures. And if that’s just added some more lines to our corrugated foreheads, I remember in the mid 1960’s in the U.K. hooked on a show hosted by a semi-funny comedian (Bob Monkhouse) playing nothing but silent movie clips – Chaplin, Keaton et al…when they were just 40-ish years old……….they’re coming up to 100 years old now and seemingly totally forgotten. Nurse! my special nightcap if you please :tumbler_glass: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Once again I arrive late to the party ~ so sorry.

Trumpeter railroad ties (sleepers) painted muddy brown and then given both Sepia and Black washes using Citadel water based transparent shaders.

1 Like

Hit it, “Blue Eyes”… :notes::notes: :notes:

Hang onto your Fedoras, fellas! Work has commenced on Friederich 2.0… standing on the plinth and all that. Hopefully, he won’t come out looking like the ‘Pillsbury D’OH Boy’ this time around.

Homer Simpson – "D'OH!"

Backstory: The extra-large cap (intentional) was kindly donated by an un-named soldier who knew Friederich’s father during the war.

Hornet Heads HGH19 – M43 Field Caps (No. 4)

———————————————————————

On a side: I’ve doubled the height of the concrete slab from the previous 3mm to 6mm.

Happy modeling!

4 Likes

That’s a masterstroke Mike having the kid leaning back, brilliant! You know I’m a pedantic SOB, would it be possible to pivot him round slightly to grip with his right hand at 3 o’clock on the wheel (from his viewpoint), putting all his weight on his right leg, and bending the left leg at the knee so that foot’s in mid air? It might strengthen the idea he’s applying a turning force with his body weight. I know, easy for me to say, he looks great already :+1: :tumbler_glass:

Thank’s for having a look, guys!

Not happenin’…

If you recall, I originally got carried away with the many possibilities and botched ‘Friederich 1.0’ that way — trying to avoid a 'Friederich 3.0.’ Therefore, my current mantra is… KISS.

Try to imagine a child so excited that he’s able to grab the big red wheel in the first place. … And without realizing the drenching about to occur, Friederich jumps onto his heels and exclaims… “Look Günter! I am turning the wheel!"

Cheers! :tumbler_glass::upside_down_face:

1 Like

A little “strong-arming” happened.

This time around, I’ve veered slightly from my usual MO of attaching hands to steering wheels. By using a brass ring for a dry-fitting tool, I hope to achieve a more precise hand-to-wheel fit.

• K&N (9861) 1mm Brass Rod rolled around a LG X-Acto knife handle in order to simulate the wheel.
• I carefully drilled-through the tiny hands using carbide drill bits.
• Then, I inserted the ring into the hands to begin dry-fitting.

• More drilling discomfort for the little guy… and some UTC Ultra Wire (MED, 28 gauge, 0.0126”).
• A little Blu-Tak was packed-in and now the joints remain fairly flexible for tailoring needs.

I think this looks pretty close now.

One thing I’ve learned since ‘Friederich 1.0’ is to go slowly when wielding the scalpel. :hocho:

Next up… I’ll begin gluing, sanding, and opening-up the fingers to grasp the wheel for a proper fit. In addition, I’ve been meaning to position the hands at either side of a wheel spoke, so clipping-off and turning the wheel a few degrees is in order.

More to follow soon…

5 Likes

Nicely done Mike , good thinkin …

1 Like

@ Cheyenne. Thank’s for your comment. I wasn’t entirely sure if I was “over-thinking” things.

Hi ya’ll! Here’s where I’m at…
giphy
I finally got the figures to pre-paint booth stage (positioned, filled, sanded, washed, and currently drying). That little ‘Friederich 2.0’ character was a royal PITA to sculpt as I gave him much more care than his predecessor, but I finally have him resting quite naturally on the wheel+plinth and I’m pleased with the result thus far.

Primer is up next. … And as they say… They ain’t getting any cleaner and they ain’t gonna’ paint themselves. :art:

2 Likes

Jeez finally! Rust was forming in the scrolling wheel of the mouse :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: JK, I build slower than you…

2 Likes

You’re going stock with him then?

:joy: You should hear the “rust effects” grinding in the back of my neck! :skull:

Far from stock (Refer: October 15 post). I should have used the word “modify” instead of “sculpt.” I am by no means a sculptor — just a styrene hack.:hocho::crazy_face:

As with Friederich 1.0 (Pillsbury D’Oh Boy), F 2.0 required similar fitting to wheel+plinth. And all sorts of witchery went on while nobody was looking. :woman_mage:

Here’s a quick rundown:
• Arms repositioned upward to gain proper overall height to grasp wheel.
• Hands were drilled-out to grasp wheel.
• Wheel broke off and was repaired.
• Field Cap has been attached.
• Slight bend to the back at hip joint.
• Epaulette details added to shoulders.
• Knee-sock buildup was added to legs.
• Endless drilling, glueing, dry-fitting, filling, drying, detail sharpening, filing, sanding, filing, curing, buffing, etc.

Hope the following pics will help illustrate the process. :hocho: :hammer_and_wrench:

Thank’s to all for having a look!

6 Likes