LZ Models (35201) 1/35 German Water Crane… and then some

Haha, good one!

2 Likes

Great start on the colors on those sleepers and steel

1 Like

Thank’s kosprueone!

Some great news! This block of wood arrived today… over 2 ½ weeks earlier than expected! :package: :mailbox_closed: The block measures in at a 6-inch cube, which as anticipated works out better than my original cardboard box mockup by a half-inch size reduction. :smiley:

I’m considering cutting approx. 2 cubits off the bottom of the base? :carpentry_saw::thinking:

“And make the arc out of cubits”… :innocent:

2 Likes

I think it will look better but you should make a cardboard mock up first and see if you like the look and not need any adjustments before cutting the wood. :+1:

1 Like

@ Tank_1812, Thank’s for your input… Copy that.

Here’s a quick side-by-side mockup…

Giving it some thought while I work on other aspects. :thinking:

4 Likes

I like them both because they are intensionally taller than a flat plaque or picture frame base. Doing that is a slick artistic technique.

Of these two options tho, I like the shorter block because your diorama story is on the ‘ground’. All three main elements; figures, rail road, water crane are all on the ‘ground’.

If for example, there were to be a figure like a cat or raven or another detail that punctuates the story further that was set on the very top of the crane or near the top. Then I would suggest the taller cube for the base because that would further, dramatically frame that story.

IMO

2 Likes

The photoshop looks good but a 3D object to test might be more helpful to see from different angles. Would another 1/2” either look better etc.

1 Like

@ Kosprueone and Tank_1812, Thank’s guys! That was some really good input. Input is being input into the super computer while in sleep state. :sleeping::thought_balloon:🪚

Think I’ll whip-up a better mockup tomorrow… provided Friederich behaves himself while I divert my attention elsewhere. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Please stay tuned…
il_570xN.545034542_9z28

2 Likes

Okay, here you go fella’s. Strait outa’ Colorado ShakyCam Studios. :coffee: :coffee: :clapper:
Not sure if these four (4) videos are uploading. ‘Refreshing’ your browser may do the trick. If not, I’ll just replace them with still images at a later date. HTH.

Note: Top of blue tape strips indicate height increments.

• Image 1 (Full 6"x6"x6" cube block)

• Image 2 (4" tall mark)

• Image 3 (3" tall mark)

• Image 4 (2.5" tall mark)

I think I like the 2.5”. I swear I could hear the chains clanking.

2 Likes

Arghhh!!! make it stop they’re all spinning at once!

(PS What Ryan said)

3 Likes

The 6" or the 3"… I guess the 3"

You could’ve at least embedded some audio to your videos :grin:

I listened to calliope during this viewing :crazy_face:

1 Like

@ Tank_1812, Dioramartin, and kosprueone,
Clanking chains, spinning mosquitos and calliope music! :rofl::rofl::rofl: Ha! You think you guys are dizzy?! I nearly puked on the lazy suzan filming those clips!:tornado:

Well, that narrows it down to 2.5” and 3”… 2.75”! :grin:
Cut once, and to hell with measuring! 🪚

Thank’s again!
—mike

2 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DewDqsszXi8 :+1:

2 Likes

When I wasn’t looking, Friederich ventured into the mud once again!

Image from MasterBox for reference only.

:confounded::rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

:clock11: :clock10: :clock230: :clock130: :clock3: :clock5::timer_clock: and later…

86’d the board shorts for long trousers, belt, buckle, belt loops; modified cap, yada, yada… :yawning_face:

Not my best work, Complete redo of this figure pending. :hocho::hammer_and_wrench:🪚

4 Likes

:scream: oh no….

1 Like

Looks great. Now you need a nice diorama to display it, and tell the story of railroads during war.

1 Like

@ Bravo36, Thank you! … My intent is to portray a fictional scenario which takes place post-WWII at a bombed-out railway siding. Said area is occupied by US Infantry and has been converted into a German POW camp. … I apologize, It’s a rather lengthy thread (see above).

Cheers!:beer:
—mike

1 Like

:thinking: :question: :moyai:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I had some Apoxie Sculpt drama. The putty mix just wouldn’t harden, even after three days — most likely user error. In addition, I risked restructuring Friederich’s chubby little cheeks in favor of a more starved look and lost his smile in doing so. :slightly_frowning_face: With so much carving, sanding, filling, priming, and handling, details wer getting all clogged up. And as usual, the photos revealed everything. :face_vomiting: … DNR.

I’m not out any cash since he was from the spares box — just a lot of wasted time. Fortunately, the aforementioned MasterBox kit was in stock at Scale Hobbyist but who knows for how much longer. So, I loaded one more Item into the cart and pressed “Proceed to Checkout.”… Pushing that button… priceless! :grin: Reviewing my bill… costly! :money_with_wings: :thinking:

1 Like