M-18 Hellcat Build Blog Completed

That’s why you shouldn’t look up at birds! But I see what you mean about the dust. My thoughts are you could blend more grey out into the cobbles to better represent recent collapse, since the current edge is a tad too sharp and the dirt beyond it is too brown by contrast. But it’s looking like a real gem in the making!

@barkingdigger . Yes i agree . You saw the same things I do so that means Im not crazy. Also there is another couple light layers to be added.
Hopefully I can still make all this work and be that gem you envision.

Now this is more what I was envisioning
Added the next 2 layers and I think it might be ready now to move on and finish the vehicle.

2 Likes

Now that’s more like it! Looking good…

1 Like

@barkingdigger . Thank you. It just needed that little extra tweaking . Sometimes that’s hard to do without going to far

That’s usual when you should stop. That last bit takes it over the line.

1 Like

The M18 Hellcat is ready to move to the Kingdom of Shelf , and live forever in the Land of Shelf Queens .

4 Likes

@Chris_Bryan No figures? To add life to the scene. Try it, you’ll like it. :grimacing:

I understand the pain of finishing and then shelving your work, never to be seen again. I get depressed for a week, when, to make room, I have to scavenge and then trash an old dio to make shelf space for a recently finished one. Arg!

1 Like

Looks great!
A++

1 Like

A-One Work there Sir! Have you decided on your next project?

@Bravo36 . I know that pain . Recently I have started using the flat rubber maid storage containers they are about 2 ft long 1.5 wide and .75 ft tall . They are stackable and hold allot

@Panzer_modeler Thank you much . @joelsmith . I have already started on the Canadian Mexas … It is proving to be a quick build .

@Bravo36 . Figures are like Kryptonite for me. They would look better if I just used crayons to paint them

1 Like

But Chris, you’ve mastered two out of three skills for a complete diorama, something that tells a story. I’m sure you can master figures too. Pick up an Alpine figure and watch a few of the great videos on YouTube. Night Shift just did three fantastic US figures for his latest diorama.

2 Likes

@Bravo36 . I can get a figure about half way there and then Ioose the way.

I understand. The faces are the biggest challenge, right? Buy a bag of Hornet heads and practice on them, one-by-one. Each will get better…
Paint the bodies like you did the stowage on your M-18. It’s all good…

1 Like

Two good beginner videos imho

Another modeler I like watching @Venko

Nope. Not any more. Now you’re gonna paint them and get better at it. If my ham fists can make a half decent looking figure so can yours.

I don’t like it, but I’ve decided that at least every other model from now on is gonna get one.

I’ve actually had a lot more luck since switching to Citadel (warhammer) paints for flesh tones.

1 Like

I will try those … I also started using a wet pallet in for general stuff and its a game changer so it will probably really help with figures

1 Like

I’m not sure what it is about their paint, maybe because all they do are miniatures, but I found AK and Vallejo were giving me really chalky finishes and just didn’t want to blend well.

I’ve also started using a wet pallet when I’m doing figures. Not sure if I’ve quite got the hang of it yet, but it seems to be working better than my yogurt container lid so…