M1 Abrams Reforger 83

Yes, the 68 ton bridge classification should be on the right front near the headlight.

oh thanks, but 68 is the same weight of the M1A1, are you sure about it?, couse I don’t remember well but it seemed like a smaller number to me

Thats what I get for posting before having coffee. An M1 should have a 60 bridge classification, not 68.

2 Likes

ah ok, lol, thanks a lot Heavy

ok, other question, i was printing the decals but sincerely I don’t know whic is, or was in that period, the color of bumper code ((it is right?) on the tank, white or yellow?

The marking surround (background rectangle) looks sand, with black bumper numbers on these images below. Both are listed as REFORGER 83.

3 Likes

Ah ok, thanks Heavy, I was doubtful because looking at the reference photo they seemed to have a white background, thanks for clarifing.
Just a curiosity, they were selfadesyve or painted?

I am basing my assumption on the above pic w/the whitewash camo and how the background looks sand compared to the white. The numbers were painted on with stencils.

1 Like

Around 1985 or so, the directive was put out to paint the bumper codes onto a buff background. Before then, they were stenciled directly onto the camo paint. Supply issued us cans of GI spray paint with label of “buff” and an NSN number. In the one of the mechanics bays in the battalion motor pool, there was a device that would cut out stencils. We used Manila filing folders, again obtained from supply, as our actual stencils, fed thru the device to make bumper numbers and unit codes.

2 Likes

That’s the same way we did it, too. If “Buff” wasn’t available any sand color would do. When we first got the M1s, in 1982, the markings were painted on the green background. The sand was added because the numbers didn’t show up very well.
Ken

1 Like

Exactly! It was hard to read the bumper numbers under the lightest dust before the sand background.

1 Like

Yeah we repainted all the bumper codes so that you could read them and then promptly covered all of them with O.D. duct tape when we went tactical.

1 Like

ok, I had some problems with the printing of the decals, now I have them printed at work with real printers and not the usual inkjet.
Just a curiosity since we are on the subject (Abrams tank), were there any M1A2 basic in forest green or were the first M1A2s produced all painted in sand yellow?

No, M1A2s were too late for overall Forest Green. All operational M1A2s and M1A2 SEPs were overall Sand. There were a few M1A2s in NATO camo at the Armor schoolhouse, but that is all. M1A2 SEP v2s out of Korea were the first operational M1A2s to be painted NATO camo a few years ago, around 2014.

3 Likes

Hi all, question, was the black star on the hull front common in that period?

1 Like

It was on the tank when they came from the factory. I don’t know if anybody bothered to put it on during a repaint. I know I never did.
Ken.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks @tankerken

M60A3 combat load plan

5 Likes

Wow, that really goes into detail! I love it!
Ken.

Great!!! Amazing!