M1 Abrams Reforger 83

Have a look at these sites for photos of 11th ACR M1’s.

http://www.eaglehorse.org/index.htm

http://usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm

Done, but maybe I didn’t know where to look exactly and I didn’t find any pictures of the M1s, thanks anyway

Still looking for images of tankers in 80’s winter outfit, many thanks in advance for any help

This set is perfect. They are wearing Field Jackets for cold weather.

3 Likes

MOPP suit- Redirecting...

Mechanic coveralls (mostly used uniform in the field in my unit)- https://i.redd.it/b5l3np1f2up01.jpg

Wet weather jacket- File:M60A3 main battle tank discuss the results of a field training REFORGER 85 DF-ST-85-13236.JPEG - Wikimedia Commons

Don’t forget the cold weather parka like the TC of the lead M60 is wearing

1 Like

We rarely got to wear the official cold weather gear!
Damn CSMs!

Never got that parka when I was in Germany.

Wow, great!! thanks a lot mate, since I have not yet decided on the vehicle to make, whether the one with a winter camo or the one with a mud camo, I wanted to have an idea of ​​the figures that can be add, a tank without figures seems dead to me, and I have not yet completely discarded the idea of ​​making the vehicle for which I opened this thread, but by changing the layout, I try to explain, recreate the scene as they are about to cover the tower with the camo net, I could use the ones I have even if different, when they are still piled on one point of the turret it cannot see that they are wrong, and at the same time I could replicate that mud camo that I like so much, but I would have a problem, or rather maybe more than one, first the mud camo on the turret, second, the blue number on the front of the turret, I don’t know what it is, with the net inserted I would have no problems, but without it I should know what number it was, and third, modify the figures to give them a sense based on what they are doing, prepare the camouflage net, I hope I managed to make me understand, by the way, how is the parka made? I could replicate it with epoxy putty if I will do the winter camo version, here in this work i have done something like a winter parka with putty on the crew of this older Tamiya Chieftain mk5 (mk3) that I wanted to do set in Berlin, wanting to replicate (without any pretense) a profile seen on Tank Encyclopedia, and the Eskimo on the student on the sidewalk.

7 Likes

Hi all, ok, i would say that the kit is ready for the base color, i don’t think I will add any other external loads, more than anything else because I don’t know what kind of load was carried during the exercise and I would’t exaggerate. I also put the reel in as suggested by Eduard’s instructions, but I don’t know what it’s for or even if it’s exact. I added, just for a whim because you can hardly see anything, the Dragon’s driver station.
Thanks again to all.

3 Likes

Some basic load items: each vehicle is usually issued a camo net system, so that means a net bag and a poles & spreaders bag. Each vehicle is also issued a tarp. Each crewman is issued a rucksack, usually the medium size ALICE. Large rucks are only standard issue in “light” units- Airborne, Air Assault, Mountain, Light Infantry, etc. Each crewman is issued two duffle bags to carry their basic issue and TA-50 gear- uniforms, underwear, socks, snivel gear, etc. Depending upon the length of the field problem, one or both duffle bags will be carried along. Add to all that rations, water, and assorted comfort gear like cots, etc.

1 Like

How do they design a tank with no bustle rack?

Just a cargo net for the bustle, some turret side racks and two small stowage bins. Obviously field usage reports said that more was needed. But then again, you look from the initial M48 and before, US tanks did not previously have bustle racks.

Ok, a lot of stuff to add, in the real there would be no problems but on a kit unless you do them with epoxy putty, but with plastic or resin pieces it would be a big problem.
But if I reproduce one of these two vehicles, from what I see in the pics there are no big loads on the turret

2 Likes

Probably light stowage on the turret rear like here

Early M1’s had strap nets on the rear of the turret for that

3 Likes

Sleeping bags on the back ?

Probably a “tankers roll”. Something that the army used to teach. Sleeping bag, shelter half, and air mattress rolled up into the waterproof bag, then cinched down with “spaghetti straps”. The air mattresses were not issued once the foam sleeping pad came out, but the other items were still standard issue in the 80’s.

Cool, thanks.

Hi all, two little question, in which way the extra load are fixed on the turret roof?
…and usually the canister on the left turret bascket was of water or fuel?

Water as five gallons is nothing to a modern tank.