M1 Abrams Reforger 83

That is possibly a unit type paint work. From the factory the tank is solid overall Olive Drab

1 Like

Thanks @Stikpusher.
Well, finally I got FS 34079, one from AK that look a green too…vivid(?), and the second from Vallejo that seems to be correct, ok, we will see :thinking::blush:

Forest Green

1 Like

well, I sprayed the forest green on the vehicle, followed by a slight color modulation just to break the monotony of the base color, I will choose to reproduce the version with the winter camo.

4 Likes

I like it a lot looks great

Well, camo completed, I tried to replicate it as faithfully as possible, pics taken with typically gray and low natural winter light

7 Likes

You’ve done that really well… Looks good.:+1:

Looks great do far

That looks great. May have to try it myself. :+1: :+1:

Really nice ! Currently reading thru Tankograds “dagger brigade” and they painted up their M1A2 SEP V2s in the same scheme but only on the skirts.

I do so like that; 'looks sufficiently different.

many thanks to all, @Seanmcandrews I think I have seen the pics of the A2 with a similar camo, they were beautiful, maybe you mean at this

4 Likes

Now I just have to print the decals for the vehicle, I see that the codes at the time were only present at the front, in the various photos taken from behind it seems to me that you do not see identification codes.
Question, was the stars and stripes always present on the turret toolbox?
this is what i mean

in my reference pic I do not think there is but I would not be wrong

1 Like

Don’t forget the top glacis plate. Look at your initial photo for some white there.
And no, full color stars & stripes were not common at all. That era was a 180* away from bright markings on line unit vehicles. Most likely somebody in the unit got a bunch of flag sticker decals from a non military source.

BTW, those are IP M1s in that photo with the flags. Aside from the bustle rack, another recognition feature is how far back the tow cable mount point is from the front of the turret. M1s have it close while the IP M1 and M1A1 have ire further back.

The flag stickers and other markings are from the Canadian Army Trophy (CAT) competition, I believe CAT 87.
Ken.

I was just wondering what the white spot was, honestly thought it was dry mud, the darkest strip in the middle I know it’s the shadow of the gun, now I have to figure out the shape of the patch

That white spot on the front slope could be whitewash, or it could just be frost/ice. None of the other horizontal surfaces seem to have anything on them.
Ken.

Those IPM1s are from the V Corps CAT 87 team, D Company, 4-8 Cavalry, 3rd Armored Division. The tanks were probably from the early part of the IP production run as the turret rails do not run to the bustle rack, they still have the M1 style Gunner’s Primary Sight cover and unfortunately, the mantlet details (GAS location & the “gooseneck”) are not visible. Note the black 5 gallon plastic watercan as well as 5 gallon steel jerry can (probably 30w oil for the transmission) and train tie down chains in the bustle rack.

John

So in your opinion don’t have any camo on the front horizontal surface?

Picture for reference only.

There is this one with it showing on the front, different units, but it seems it was applied sometimes over the front plate. ?

3 Likes