M1 Abrams Reforger 83

The tanks above have the white applied to the front slope and it looks like the top of the turret. The photo in Merki4’s post has just a small patch at the front which COULD just be ice. Can’t really tell for sure. But none of the other upper surfaces have anything on them so I would say it is just ice. But that is my interpretation. Photos can be tricky!
Ken.

Ok, this is what I see on the front of the vehicle, it seems a bit strange to me to be defined camouflage, while in the photo above the camouflage is really evident, I could say that it is discolored, but the rest of the vehicle shows an almost perfect livery, this made me think of the classic grayish and dry mud typical of when it snows, but maybe I’m wrong

This is what I mean

2 Likes

That analysis sounds reasonable. Mud splatter is a good explanation and quite probable.

2 Likes

Thanks Carlos, ok, I wait just a moment to get some other opinion or confirmation, then I print the few decals to apply and then we go to weathering

1 Like

I think it’s sound reasoning, it doesn’t stand out like white paint on that particular tank, so frosty / frozen mud is a good safe bet.

Ok, thanks to you too John, now I can think about weathering.
Uh, since we’re on the subject, would any of you seasoned veterans, given your experience, be able to recognize and tell me what you think is that thing hanging next to the roadwheel?

1 Like

Looks like it could be a rucksack (backpack), it’s really hard to make it out.
Ken.

Thanks Ken, that’s what I thought too, but since at that time it seems that nothing was hanging outside the turret and everything was on the roof of the turret itself, I wanted to make sure that it was not something special.
Lucio

Hi all, question for you experts, is this older Verlinden set an Vietnam era only or even later?

1 Like

It looks like sort or a mishmash, the rucksacks are not ALICE which is what would appear on an '83 Abrams and the small arms pouches look to be vietnam era for the short M16A1 magazines. The cylindrical object looks like a dragon ATGM launcher on a protective cover.
I think you would be better off with one of the Tamiya accessory sets ,I think someone posted about them earlier in this thread? Give me a few days & I can post scans from FC 23-200-1 “M1 tank combat load plan” which specifies items issued to each crew member.
Of course advice offered by former crew members would take precedence but I suppose these being the official regulations would give a starting point as to loading up your Abrams.

1 Like

Wow, great!!! Thanks a lot this would be very helpfull

You could still find packs like that in use in the early 80’s, but they were being phased out by the Alice stuff. The Dragon would not be carried by a tank, but could be seen in a M113.
Ken.

1 Like

That Dragon would not be carried by a 113 either. It’s rigged up in drop configuration for an airborne Dragon gunner on a jump. In a track, it simply has a carrying strap. You could put it on an airborne unit jeep or HMMWV though for a post drop scenario

I could have sworn we had a mount for the dragon on the right side of the TC hatch on our 113s but my memory isn’t great lol
But yeah that looks rigged to jump as it is in that kit

Now that I think about we did , it was a sort of cradle mount or something and had a shield in front

Yes, there was a mount for the Dragon that paired up with the .50 on a 113 TC cupola.

1 Like

Yeah that’s it.
Stik would that dragon actually be hooked up to a jumpers harness?

The Verlinden Dragon thing? Yes, just like a M60, attached to the harness.

Oh really ? must have sucked lol
Would the m60 fit in a weapons bag?

REFORGER…now there’s a name I haven’t heard in years. I was a Ft. Hood from 88-91 and 2 AD was just down the street. I had buddies in that division that used to talk about REFORGER…alot. After I left in 91, 2 AD was dissolved and the 2 AD units were absorbed by 1st Cav. Gone was the “Hell On Wheels” emblem on the tower on Battalion Ave. Those years between 88-91 were the good ol’ days…for sure.

2 Likes