M1009 CUCV Build

I am calling this one done.

I completed the interior by adding and wiring up the Series 46 radios, speaker box, and handset.
IMG_2262

I also added personal gear, MREs, a water jug, and some other items inside.
IMG_2263
IMG_2264

The M16A1 is one of the 3D printed ones from Mike Goldberg. It even has the camo vehicle log book w/HQ 3 written on the front.

Some details through the door/window. I also added the chain used to secure the steering wheel.
IMG_2274
IMG_2275

I marked it as the S3 (Training Officer) truck from 3-82 FA, 1st Cav Div from the mid-'80s. I made the decals on my home computer/printer using printer decal paper and PPT. for the graphics.
IMG_2278

Here it is overall. Unfortunately, once its all closed up, you can’t really see anything in the rear seat area.
IMG_2272
IMG_2267
IMG_2269
IMG_2270
IMG_2271
IMG_2273

Here it is with a figure to see the size comparison. I think he fits perfectly.
IMG_2277
IMG_2276

I am really happy with how it turned out. With a little tlc, elbow grease, and 3D printed parts, you should be able to turn just about any die-cast vehicle into a real gem.

15 Likes

Very nice finish. All your added details and custom decals really brought it to life

Outstanding overall build and spectacular detailing Gino! Those radios are superb. This whole project is just right on the money. Great conversion.

Very well done! Good job on it.
This brings back some nice memories, when my hometown was full of HQ units during Reforger exercises.

Happy new year!

Andreas

1 Like

That’s a beaut! Great detailing.
This makes me wanna’ browse the die cast isle in the Walmart to see what they’ve got.

Very, very nice!

That hideous burgundy interior color always struck me as some kind of “theft deterrent” measure! Only the poor tax-payers would ever buy a fleet of vehicles with that interior. LOL!

I do so vividly remember busting out the rear window of my company SGM’s CUCV on a winter training exercise. It was colder than a witch’s kootie, and I just barely tapped the glass with a pair of skis that I was leaning up against the back end. The window quite literally exploded into a bucket full of safety glass bits and pieces.

He was not amused… It was a TMP vehicle, though, so the Smag swiped the CO / XO’s truck and drove the CO around for the rest of the trip. As for me? Of course, I wound up driving the XO around and had to listen to him cry like a rat eating onions about the cold blowing in from the back. But hey, what are TMP vehicles for if not being abused?!

1 Like

That CUCV brings so many memories of many an FTX at Stewart in the early 90s. Driving to and from the ranges while my company was lobbing TOWs downrange.

Thanks gents. It was a fun and rewarding build.

1 Like

'Just how I remember seeing them, on exercise and in Bosnia. Excellent build and finish - thanks for the tips and info.

Thanks Boots. Glad it brought back some memories.

Excellent work Gino.

The last time I drove one of these I was with HHB 1/102FA, MA-NG out of Quincy.

We had just been formed from three other NG units and all we had were these CUCV’s. We were driving down to Camp Edwards when the drive shaft came apart. We removed what was left of the shaft, plugged the hole in the back of the transfer case with a Dunkin Donuts coffee cup and a half roll of 100mph tape, threw it in 4HI and drove back to the armory.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff. Great story. They were pretty tough trucks.

1 Like