M108 crane truck

It is looking good, but the tires still have the hubs and lug nuts on them when they shouldn’t. The center hole and lug nut holes should be empty. The hub is part of the axle and the wheel has to be removed to take it off the truck.

I’m sure you have a couple spare tires from one of your many 5ton kits that would look better.

3 Likes

Stupid mistake. You’re right, I’ll fix that up.

1 Like

Now that’s what I call a tire swing! Very nice work! …:wheel: :grin:

—mike

1 Like

Post as many pics as you want, it looks really good!
Ken

2 Likes

Thanks Mike and Ken. Really impressed with the level of detail in my first HL kit. All the outrigger and rear points for the locking bars were drilled and had rod for the pins if needed.

Plus a whole lot more. Fire extinguishers, extra pulleys, hooks and working light etc all in for free.

2 Likes

It looks fantastic show it off!

1 Like

Load situation corrected, might need a flatcote on the 5-ton tires but that’s an easy fix.

6 Likes

Came out nicely. Good job.

2 Likes

Appreciate all the help and encouragement from you and others Gino. Next task is changing the M1062 wheels, stashing the Royal rims for an M871 to follow later.

1 Like

It looks great, nice convertion.

Cheers,
Ralph

1 Like

Thanks Ralph, that’s my third M35-based rig. Other two were straight OOB but I enjoyed building this one the most.

Since that pic I drilled out a spot for the working light on the front.

1 Like

I am the owner of a real m108. I absolutely love your model. I will point out that no m108 in service would have had a vertical exhaust stack. All m108s were long gone from service by the time m44 series were converted to the multifuel diesel. The m108 was equipped with the reo gold comet gas motor. With that being said I converted my truck to the multifuel with the vertical stack

2 Likes

Thanks for posting Chuck, that’s a beautiful looking rig you’ve got there!

ETA Just found a blurry old pic of an M108, the exhaust exiting between the two rear o/s wheels. Can you share how the exhaust pipework is routed underneath?

M35A1 Exhaust

The AFV Club Nancy Guntruck has the older exhaust as it is an M35A1

Photos of sprues and instruction sheet can be viewed here:

Big thanks to Gino and Robin. That info will help me get the Old Girl looking right.

The A1 pictured is much closer. A1’s had the 427 multifuel engine. The m108 would be configured as a standard m35 with the the gas engine

The exhaust did exit between the the tandems. I may have a picture of mine before I converted it. Fairly certain it exited on the passenger side

Not the best picture but here is the before shot of my truck when I first star started working on it. The exhaust is in the passenger side and exits between the tandems. Of note is gas m44 series trucks have a grill that is 2 inches shorter than a multifuel powered truck .

1 Like

Thanks for that Chuck, I started on the muffler conversion this morning. Not totally accurate plumbing-wise, but it’ll look more accurate from a “curbside” view.

On a related note; I’ve filled the hole left by the exhaust, but using Vallejo filler it’s sunk a little. Should I finish it with thinned Vallejo - or try the Mr Surfacer 500 I got awhile back?

Great! Please don’t think I was nit picking your build. You seem like someone who wanted to be accurate in the build

1 Like