M1088A1 5-ton Tractor Conversion

Very nice! Well researched and cleanly built.

Thanks Rick. It has been fun so far.

Great work Gino! Like a lot the project and nice to see the Legend conversion put to use. I suggested and provided to Legend lots of info for this conversion set. Pity the relation didn’t stand for long and other similar projects stalled. Who knows, maybe these will arrive to the market somehow :wink:

As for the time frame for these versions, stateside depots/units started to receive these early in 2007.

1 Like

Thanks Javier. Good job on working w/Legend to create the update set. Hopefully they will do more.

I was able to get the cab interior done. I used Tamiya NATO Green spray for the overall green and OD for the seats. I picked out other details with other colors as needed.
IMG_2161

The instrument decals are out of the kit, cut apart and placed individually. All the warning and placard decals are either left over from other kits, or made by me. The fire extinguisher is from the kit, with a custom decal added.
IMG_2158
IMG_2159
IMG_2160

Here is the interior and doors with serial numbers added and details picked out with black.
IMG_2163
IMG_2162

This is how it will look overall. I am thinking about doing the cab in NATO camo and the M1062 trailer in sand.
IMG_2166
IMG_2164
IMG_2165

Next up is some weathering, sealing it up, and on to the outside painting.

5 Likes

looking very good again, lovely extra detailing!

Huge work ! This could be a master for a kit !

Thanks gents. I am having fun with this one.

Good job on it Gino. Very nicely done.

Maybe a next kit from Trumpeter!

Thanks Andreas. That is usually how it works; “If you build it, they will come” (in kit form). It would be great for Trumpeter to do one. Keep your fingers crossed.

1 Like

Now they will probably do one, but it will still need lots of work or aftermarket parts to get it right!
Ken

I don’t know about that. They did a great job on their M983A2 HEMTT tractor and M915 tractor. They are really nice and don’t really need any AM.

Yes, fingers crossed!

Since you made one they will…It always seems to happen that way…

Like I said, keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks for the kind words Gino!

If not Legend, I have more contacts in the business so will try to push on some other projects I had hibernated.

I have completed the M1088A1 tractor truck.

I ended up painting it in NATO camo. I gave it a couple washes with a dirt color and a sand color acrylic paint. Then I selectively dry-brushed it to bring out some details. I added some bare metal and light rust around the 5th wheel and its ramps. Lastly, I added some dripped/overflow fuel streaks on the fuel tank from Tamiya Smoke.

I marked its as one from the 13th Theater Support Command, 610 Quartermaster Bn, 418 Transportation Company. It is not based on any specific truck, but one I saw pulling a tank trailer on the net. All the warning and placard decals are from the kit, as are the stencils. I made the markings myself and the 52 Bn ID # is left over from some other kit.

I added the air lines and brake lights cable from 1/24 scale car spark plug wires in the red, blue, and black colors.

Here is my take on the truck. I hope you like it.

IMG_2167
IMG_2168
IMG_2169

IMG_2172
IMG_2177
IMG_2173
IMG_2174
IMG_2175
IMG_2176
IMG_2182
IMG_2179
IMG_2180
IMG_2181

Here it is with the M1062 Bulk Fuel trailer.
IMG_2189
IMG_2190

This was a fun and rewarding build. I am very pleased with how it turned out. The Pro Art cab set and Legend A1 update set really add to the details.

You can see more on the M1062 tank trailer here:

8 Likes

The whole model looks really good. Congrats.

Great job Gino, really nice finish.

Gino, what a Great looking tractor you have built!