M1062 Bulk Fuel Trailer conversion

Based on the below thread, I started getting interested in finding a version of fuel trailer that looked close to the old Monogram 1/32 trailer that has been around for many years. I had an old trailer that had been relegated to a box for later use many years ago. I thought about reworking it and bringing it back to life.

Here is the old Monogram Fruehauf trailer. For its age, it is actually a pretty detailed piece. It would stand on its own, but was not a version used by the US Military in its out of the box state. The worst part of the kit are horrible plastic wheels/tires. I’ll be replacing those with military tread 5ton wheels/tires from DEF Model.

It has been reboxed many times over the years. This was the last boxing a few years ago.

After a bit of research, I found info on the fuel trailer used by the US Military that looks almost the same as the 1/32 Monogram one. It is an M1062 Bulk Fuel Trailer made by Fruehauf, just like the Monogram one.

Some more info:

The M1062 is a bulk fuel line hauler and can be loaded with an external 300 GPM pump. The semitrailer has no on-board filter/separator or pump for retail issues. It has a single compartment with a capacity of 7,500 gallons plus 3 percent expansion space and weighs 11,566 pounds empty and about 65,556 pounds full. Full weight will vary depending on product being hauled. The entire vehicle is 36 feet 3 inches long, 8 feet 6 inches wide, and 8 feet 9 inches high.

It has only one access cover on top and different piping, but those are fixable.

A couple walkarounds for references:

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Tanker-Trailers-Fruehauf-TAG-F2-ESF-7500-T%2FA-Tanker-Trailer-New-Jersey/2354150/NSN/2330-01-533-9904

2 Likes

I started converting my old Monogram trailer into an M1062. So far, I have cut the tank down to a scale 36’ 3", cut off all the pipes and am reworking the top to have only one access cover, etc. I will be adding 5ton tires to it as well.

Here it is so far.
IMG_2100

The M1062 Bulk Fuel Trailer was first used in the late '80s and is still used today. Based on that, it could/was pulled by any 5 ton tractor truck in use in that range. This would include M54s and M818s, M932s, M915s, and M1088s.

I plan to put it behind an M1088…eventually ( I have to build the M1088 as well).

5 Likes

Morning Gino, just a quick question. What model fuel trailer would be appropriate for Vietnam and is this trailer usable for a conversion to one from that time frame? I’m in the process of moving, so my reference books are between houses somewhere. Thanks, Wayne

For Vietnam timeframe, it was the M131 Tanker trailer. It could be converted using the Monogram one, but will take some work. Go back and look in this thread for pics and dimensions.

I’ve pretty much finished up the major construction on this one. I sanded down the joint where I shortened it.

IMG_2101
IMG_2102

I added the landing legs back in a new position with a crank from a WWIII German bar jack.
IMG_2108

I reworked the top section so it only has the one access cover.

Rerouted one of the tubes to be the rear vapor pipe. You can also see the scratched up storage tubes for the hoses on both sides. I also added three marker lights on the top center of the tank. I still need to add wires for them. Rear black out lights from an M113 added as well.
IMG_2104
IMG_2105

Here are the two drain lines with scratched valves and handles.
IMG_2107

I also scratched up the spare tire holder. You can also see the hubs for the 5 ton wheels that will go on it. They are casts of the AFV Club M54 hubs.
IMG_2110
IMG_2109

A few more details to add such as warning placard triangles and a few wires here and there. It is getting closer to what I am after.

5 Likes

Nice detailing conversion.

Lovely work Gino, I’ve now got an instruction sheet on how to build mine!

I’m starting on the M52, horse before the cart.

Thanks. Glad it is helpful. I’m sure yours will come out great too.

I admire your faith! On a related note, I’ve run into a snag on the M52 build. Step 5 of the AFV kit, parts B41 and B42 call for the insertion of parts labeled “I” between the inner and outer sections of the hub. There is no sprue “I” in the AFV kit or in the second AFV M54 on my stash shelf.

These pieces (soft nylon/plastic inserts) are meant to secure the inner rear wheels inside the hubs, but maybe AFV discontinued them? Both kits were sealed in their bags and in great condition.

Any thoughts guys?

These parts are not needed. They are there like the rubber caps in some tank road wheels that allow them to roll. I glued all the hub parts solid on mine and have no issues. In step 13, AFV Club also calls for you to glue the outer rear hubs (B18 and B43) onto the rims, then insert them into the brake drums (B41 and B42) using the little pin and the rubber parts. I glue the hubs directly to the brake drums ahead of time and leave the rims/wheels off until later. I do the same on the front brake drums with the B18 part as well and glue the wheels to them later. I don’t need the wheels to roll and I feel the little pin is a weak point that they will break at.

Thanks Gino. Great news!

This project is on a slight hold. I have decided, after looking at lots of reference pics that the M1062 should have road tires, not the military uni-directional tread tires like a standard 5ton.

To this end, I have ordered the Panzer Art U.S. Royal Commercial Road Wheels M54 Series Truck.

Once they come in, we’ll see how they look on it.

3 Likes

The tires look great. I just hope they don’t look undersized. That’s why I suggested something larger. I know many of us like to use 1/32 and 1/35 in the same diorama, but on the same vehicle - that’s a 10% difference in size - I think that might be noticeable. They why I dropped the idea of using M1000 wheels for my 1/48 scale tankas (I posted a request on BST a few days ago) and am just having them custom made to the exact specification I want. It’s only money.

1 Like

The DEF M54 tires/wheels are the same size as the tires in the kit. We’ll see how these size up when I get them.

Glad you posted that Gino. I’m pondering the news about RM’s revised M969 coming out late in the year. Plodding on with the M52, but darned if I can fit the front winch side rails inside the kit frame.

I received the Panzer Art civilian tires today. They look great. There was a slight issue with them though. All 8 rear tires and the spare had lug nuts. Only the outer 4 should have them and the inner 4 should be smooth. With the lug nuts on the inner 4, the tires stick out too far. It was an easy fix though. I sliced the lug nuts off the inner 4 tires and the spare, then I drilled the holes for them in the spare. They are also very tight on the AFV Club brake drums, too tight. I swapped them out for a set of Hobby Fan 5ton hub/brake drums I had, which are a smaller diameter. They fit them perfectly.

The top 4 are the inners that I modified and the spare is on the left.
IMG_2115

The details on the lettering is exquisite. You can read every bit. The tread is very nice too.
IMG_2118
IMG_2117

They look great on the trailer. Fit is perfect too; they are the same size as the kit tires.
IMG_2114

I finished up the trailer rear with the two wires that go up the sides to the lights and forward.
IMG_2111

I added the “FLAMMABLE” placard holders on all four sides as well.
IMG_2112
IMG_2113

Next up is paint and the M1088 FMTV Tractor to pull it.

8 Likes

Looking good Gino. I am bemused by tires. I just don’t understand how the model companies struggle to get tires of the right size and profile. At least it is providing a livelihood for several aftermarket companies.

Building up very nicely.

I’m starting to cut anD past the tanker.
two question:
-front side must be very similar to the rear?
-wheels rims are 5 spokes type (Dayton)?

Thanks guys. I like how it is coming out so far.

I left the front and rear basically as they come in the kit. I just added some details. I couldn’t find any 5 spoke wheels, so I went with the above mentioned Panzer Art U.S. Royal Commercial Road Wheels for M54 Series Truck. They look really nice to me and work fine.

1 Like