M114a1e1

I note that Scorpion Miniature Models - a very prolific manufacturer - do things like the Driver’s compartment for Challenger and Leopard, and I think I’ve seen something for the M107/M110 Driver’s position somewhere. SMM are certainly reasonably priced I think in the scheme of things. However, this doesn’t address what I refer to as the turret Gubbins, you know, the items one glimpses if the turret hatches are unmanned. Mind you, I suppose you’d be pushed to identify when and where the detail ends, a glimpse can soon turn into scrutiny, but perhaps items like the periscopes and the immediate items (in view) could be manufactured; for an example here’s a couple of shots of CR 2 Not brilliant pics I’m afraid):

If one wishes to display their model - for whatever reason - unmanned - then I feel there really needs to be something other than a black void. However, I’ll take my own advice and continue kitting out my M114.

2 Likes

Thanks Hugh - very helpful.

My attempt at the LAWs:

The outside of the hatch masked off with Blu-Tak and tape.

2 Likes

Ooohhh my… thats nice…

Did you really carry the LAWs while in garrison?
I would think those light weight tubes would be easily damaged over time?
I served in 1AD and our tanks were about 95% loaded with service ammo but we always wondered how that ammo would have performed if the ballon had went up.
Dan

The interior looks convincing. But I’m no expert.

Cheers,
Ralph

Thanks Ralph - “convincing” will do!

A brief update on my M114A1E1; I’ve just about finished kitting out the interior. Remember that not much will be seen but if anything, I’ve erred on the side of “more” rather than “sparse”. Some details and positioning were more or less made up. For example, I’ve no idea if the ammo cans for the 20mm were stashed where I’ve put them but I was unable to find much to go on. The M60 ammo was a job lot from AFV Club (as were the 20mm) and I suspect that there’re probably too many. I’ve used the kit decals which are for 40mm, but to be honest in this scale I think they’ll do. The rifles are where they should be. Other items include ration boxes (wrong size I know, and definitely the wrong markings). I’ve added a couple of helmets, and will also add the packs shortly. I’ve truncated a sleeping bag roll so that it will fit in the rear corner space of the vehicle. I’ve also dirtied up the inside a little using pastels. I would like to think that regarding the positioning of some items, that if say, it’s Day 4 of an exercise, normal housekeeping goes out the window, due to fatigue, constant moves etc. Mind you, I’m not suggesting that US Army recce teams in an AFV were as remotely slovenly as RAOC Staff Clerks in a Land Rover, but in my experience normal drills and skills sort of dwindled as an exercise continued. Anyway, that’s all really an excuse; I suppose I’ve modelled for effect and as I’ve said before, not that much will be seen, but there has to be something.

Note that the stencilling I’ve used within the hull has come from an old Verlinden sheet and I used it just to get some lettering down; magnification will show that they’re totally wrong but to the naked eye will get an effect.

The driver needs to be completed and then installed; once that’s done, and the remaining details glued inside I can get the hull top on, at long last. We’re currently enjoying a real Summer at the moment in the UK, although if you believe the mainstream media, it is actually a catastrophic event and we’re all doomed to incineration. However, it does mean that painting has been a bit fraught lately as it was drying far too quickly, and I generally use enamels - God knows what would happen if it was acrylics.

10 Likes

Coming along nicely. The interior looks pretty convincing to me.

Thanks Gino!

One other thing that I might suggest to add for the interior is a large wooden ammo crate. We often kept those in our 113s for storage of various small loose items or other odds & ends that crews can accumulate. The 4.2” mortar round crates were the most common as we could get those from the battalion mortar platoon.

Thanks for the tip Carlos, but to be honest I think I’ll have enough kit to make this work; once I’ve completed the Driver (and it really is a bit hot to apply paint at the moment) I’ll post another shot of it all before I batten it down. I think I’ve done more than enough but you never quite know what might be revealed despite installing a figure or two. Which leads me on to figures - as I can’t paint I’ve started sanding, and sanding, and sanding…

Looking good!

Thanks Rick; Driver to be completed, installed, hull top on, then the tracks, which I’m not looking forward to(!)

And I’m betting you can guess my reaction! Looking forward to seeing this one!

The live service ammo stowage policy (as opposed to the small arms ammo) no doubt varied from time to time and unit to unit. I was in Baumholder from 1972-1977, where the 2nd Brigade of 8th ID was stationed with two Tank Battalions and three Mech Infantry Battalions. At that time a change had recently been made which removed the stowed tank rounds from on board the M-60A1 tanks in the motor pool, for “security” reasons. The story was some young trooper got into one of the tanks, loaded a round and threatened to fire it into the battalion HQ. I have no idea whether that actually happened or not but I do know that in those units during that time frame (a pretty rough time from a unit discipline perspective) tank ammo was stored at a separate ASP.

Packs now installed; Driver still to be completed. I might add some personal equipment (which I’d forgotten about) ie the 56 pattern kit and also a little more filth.

I’m sure some of this will be nugatory effort once the top is on but that Commander’s hatch is quite large. We’ll see.

8 Likes

Coming along nicely Brian. I’m watching this one carefully and looking forward to seeing it in it’s MASSTER scheme. Might even start mine soon!

Thanks Terry - I’ve probably made it more detailed than it needs to be but as I said, I plan on the Commander’s hatch being open so have to cover more than I first thought.

Most of it has been quite fun but I admit to getting bogged down a little. I also confess to getting sidetracked with my 1:300 Corps HQ dio - somewhere in the “Lifting the Fog of War: C2” campaign piece.

Either way - I really should get a wiggle on; Avon Model Show is next weekend - Aaargh!

1 Like

“I’ve probably made it more detailed than it needs to be.”

Nah, not possible!

1 Like

Do you recall the bumper numbers on the 114s? I want to number one like were in 1/37th until about Jan 76. They were swapped out for TOW 113s, when we got the M60A2s.