M125 Mortar carrier, Vietnam, 1969 in progress pics

So, building the M125 mortar carrier. The base kit is from Academy. The conversion kit is from Hobby Link. Many of the small details are from a small company in Greece, 3D MicroCosmos. Some details are from the Trumpeter M252 81mm mortar set. Lots of parts are either scratch built or from the spares box.
Working on some possible figures. Still have some work to do.

I built a lot of debris and junk to represent the huge amount of stuff that is involved in modern warfare.
I have some mock ups of the direction I am going, but the finished product won’t look like this.

Trying to make it look different from my previous “M106 Mortar Carrier, 1969” model.

29 Likes

Looks up to your usual standards; weathering looks just right to my eye.

Micro Cosmos makes nice stuff- I’m gonna guess the 50BMG/cupola , fuel/water cans and the headlamp assemblies?

Excellent overall effect. Love the tubes for the mortar rounds. Figures are spot on.
:+1::+1:

3 Likes

Wow, that’s freaking nice!

2 Likes

Looks stellar with lots of detail and realism.

2 Likes

Looks fantastic! Congrats!!!

2 Likes

Fantastic build.Really looks superb.
Richard

2 Likes

excuse my ignorance but what are the difference between the M125 and the M106?

1 Like

The M125 is fitted with a M29 81mm mortar, the M106 has a M30 106.7mm (4.2 inch) one.

H.P.

3 Likes

Hello!
I like this build a lot! What are those grey rounds with red and green bands? They sure look sinister!
Thanks for sharing and good luck with finishing your build! Have a nice day
Paweł

1 Like

Robert this entire model is absolutely superb in every way. The build is perfect. The grime has been subtly built up in all the areas where it collects. The amount of crap laying all over is just right to portray the quiet chaos of daily combat life. Excellent scene!

2 Likes

Looking great. Hobby Link products are really nice. I am liking them more and more w/each set I see.

2 Likes

This diorama is going to be awesome, Rob. Your vehicle models are always excellent and this one is no exception. The accessories you made to replicate the activity of unpacking the ammo and preparing the mortar track to provide fire support for the company are well done and plentiful enough to show that it takes more than just a few rounds to really make it look realistic. Watching this with much interest.

4 Likes

so there is no difference in the actual vehicle, it’s all about the weapon/mortar, is that right?

1 Like

Correct, the basic M113 Mortar Carrier Vehicle is the same. The only differences are the mortar carried and ammo storage layout since they are different sizes.

2 Likes

im not familiar with this weapon system being in Vietnam so this was something new for me, every day is a school day, so they say!

1 Like

They seem to have been phased out early by US forces in favor of the larger and longer range M106 w/the 4.2" mortar. I can only find a few pics of US Army M125s in Vietnam.

“M125 of A Troop 4th Squadron, 12th US Cavalry, 1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized).”

They did seem to be popular with the Aussies though.
“Mortar being fired from 82 Alpha, a M113 Mortar Carrier of A Squadron, 3 Cavalry Regiment during Operation Bribie, 18 February 1967.”

“Long Tan. 19 August 1966. Troops of 6th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (6RAR), fire a mortar from an M125A1 mortar carrier during Operation Smithfield.”

4 Likes

Well done! Overall great build, I like the attention to details like the correct finish on the M-16 and the magazines, the smoke grenades, the duffle bag and the bandolier. Nice job.

3 Likes

Excellent work. If you’re still trying to decide on figures, please include at least one guy trying to preserve his hearing with his fingers.
Unfortunately, due to at least 99% of war movies ever made, people think mortars make a cute little “thump” when they fire.

4 Likes

This is a splendid little 125 you’ve built Robert; I can see a lot of time spent on the little things like the projectile markings and ordinance cans. The straps on the small arms weapons came out great but I especially like the speaker box behind the TC’s cupola! Nice!

Cajun :crocodile:

3 Likes

Thanks. Yes, MicroCosmos does excellent stuff. I built this M125 just to try out their new M113 tracks. Beautifully detailed and fast to assemble. Best tracks I have ever built. And then I decided to add all the other M113 details they offer to see how it would look. Besides the items you mentioned, the M16, ammo cans, and tow hooks were used. The mortar round shipping tubes are made from Plastruc tubing.

2 Likes