M1A1 Mine Plow question

I want to build a M1A1 with mine plow for my Desert Storm Legacy builds and as wondering what is
ya’ll’s opinion on the Trumpeter M1A1/A2 5-n-1 kit (5135). Or should I just stick with the Tamiya M1A1 mine plow
kit?

Trumpeter’s M1A1 is probably the worst on the market, stay away from it. Tamiya’s kit is OK, but still 30 years old and not that detailed.

I would go with Rye Field’s excellent M1A1 ODS kit and add a plow to it. You can use the plow out of the Trumpeter kit (keep the plow and roller; throw the rest away).

Dragon also offered the plow as a separate set. It is good as well.

Here is one on eBay.
1/35 Dragon Models 3804 Track Width Mine Plough ME Sealed | eBay

1 Like

:+1:
Cool, I have that Ryefield M1 Kit already.

Off to Ebay for the other kit.

1 Like

I have the Academy M1A1 (Iraq 2003) kit in my stash as well.

Is it worth building?

Not really, unless you replace the turret. Academy modified their shorter M1 turret to make an M1A1. The turret is about 5mm too short, most noticeable around the smoke launchers. It has a few other issues as well since it started life as a copy of the original 1980s Tamiya M1 kit. About all that is good out of it is the J sprue with updated parts that can be used on other older Abrams for better details. Most modern kits have eclipsed it and have better details than the J sprue.

Academy M1A1 2003 J Sprue with usable update parts: sprockets w/mud relief holes, extended bustle stowage basket, water and fuel cans, bustle rack APU, USMC smoke grenade launchers, separate smoke grenades, CIPs, main gun barrel w/MRS and mantlet, TC’s .50 cal, loader’s M240, 40mm ammo cans, MCD box, etc., etc…

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

Time to update the stash with better kits.

Here’s another one…

Dragon 1/35 Scale M1A1 w/ Mine Plough - Mine Plough Parts from Kit No. 3516 89195835161 | eBay

1 Like

Not to hijack the thread, but is a KTM mine roller appropriate for a US Army M60?

I know the IDF used them with the M60. I have an old Academy M60 Blazer w/ KTM 4 mine roller (remember? It’s the one with twin M2s mounted above the main gun) deep in the stash and a CLAMS en route and was considering using the roller and the CLAMS on a Takom M60 dozer kit….

Nope, you need a different type of mine roller

Short answer? kind of; the Israelis made a copy of the KMT-4 mine roller, which they use on their Magach tanks.

Sorry for the crappy picture, is a screen grab from Desert Storm.

Mine roller on a Magach 6B.

Same type of roller on an M1A1 Abrams.

1 Like

Dragon offered a Magach 5 with a mine roller very similar to the one used by the US.

The IDF mine rollers are slightly different.

Both Dragon and Trumpeter offer the correct US mine rollers in their M1 Panther II kits. Trumpeter’s also has the plow as an option.

Trumpeter also has it in the Abrams 5-in-1 kit, and as a separate kit w/rollers. Like I said above, the Trumpeter kits suck. Keep the plow and rollers, and throw the rest away.

2 Likes

I checked on ebay and “ncla7286” and “beaddreamsllc” have the separate sprues for the mine roller.

Or use the parts to experiment with your weathering techniques. :wink:

2 Likes

I imagine this is the same roller sprue from their panther II kit ?

Yes; it is. Just switch between sellers. I think “ncla7286” will be cheaper.

Being a navy guy I’ll be the first to admit my ignorance on how mine rollers exactly function. I mean I 'get it’s in the grand scheme, pressure of the wheels detonate mines vs using the tracks which will disable the tank mostly likely while rollers and dozer blades are in theory way more disposable. I’m guessing the pivot arms and hydraulics are to raise the unit while moving through areas where no mines are suspected, makes sense. But how do these units weather an actual detonation? Since they look to be attached to the hulls with a rather large pivoting coupler and hydraulic/pistons do they swing upwards when a mine detonates to help dissapte the energy from the mine or do the wheels and tires take the brunt of the explosion and basically get shredded? If that’s the case do the tanks carry spare ‘rollers’ and swap in the field or does the maintenance depo do that? And finally, if those rollers are designed to get shredded what’s the operational doctrine? Just plow forward till nothing is left of the rollers or do the tanks rotate out once they pop off a mine with the next tank line taking over to clear the designated lane for travel? I know this question has little bearing on the build/topic but as a non army guy (I was aviation ordinance so some of our toys actually scattered these mines w CBU’s, granted those clusters bomblettes that lay in wait were smaller charges designed more to damage construction equipment vs a tank) but reading your guys comments got me thinking what better people to ask.

3 Likes

To answer your question from a non-tanker point of view; the rollers are designed to detonate mines before the tank can reach them. The rollers are made of very dense rubber compounds that are designed to resist detonation; though they will be torn up and eventually will have to be replaced.

In the case of the plough-type system; it “rakes” the dirt or sand; unearthing the mine and pushing it aside. Both systems will also incorporate some kind of cleared lane marking system (CLAMS), to mark safe paths for tanks and other vehicles to cross through minefields.

In my humble opinion; the Plow-type system is more effective at clearing lanes, since it can go deeper than the roller-type system.

Solid example is the M1150 Assault Breacher Vehicle.

Fitted with a massive mine plow and equipped with two M58 MCLIC launchers; it is designed to clear minefields and tackle IEDs, as proven in Afghanistan during Operation Moshtarak (Battle of Marjah) in 2010.

2 Likes

They are actually supposed to be used together. The plow goes in first to clear the lane by digging up and pushing the mines aside as described above. Once a lane has been cleared, and marked by the CLAMS (Clear LAne Marking System), the roller is used to proof the lane and make sure there are no mines left in the lane that the plow missed. The roller does not use a CLAMS.

Both are pretty stout and designed to take multiple hits before they are damaged.

5 Likes

David, @elevenbravo87 , I wouldn’t overpay for the mine plow alone though b/c you could get the entire Dragon Abrams kit with the plow around the same price 1/35 Dragon Shanghai 3516: M1A1 Abrams w/Mine Plow | eBay.
I’d save that kit in your evil Bay “watching” list, and Joe at WWII Buff usually gives you a 20% discount with free shipping later. So that kit may be offered to you at $28. Or you can eBay message him directly to give you a discount.

Kind regards,
James

1 Like