M1a1 ods

the turret is all wrong for a A1 if you want to portray a early ODS A1 you are better off using Tamiya’s Later A2 and put ther tracks from the Tamiya Abrams you pictured Tamiya;s A2 kit give you parts to build a A1 in Army markings and a Ater Marine A1

1 Like

Not saying it’s not 2nd Tank Battalion. During GW, 2nd Tank had I believe (still trying to track down all the information) B Co 2nd Tank (as expected, Active Duty folks) and B Co 4th Tank Battalion (Reserve unit) attached to it. My current statement is that is the markings are for the active duty tank and not a reserve tank which is what Greg is asking about to model.

2 Likes

Ah. Okay. My bad.

2 Likes

Not a problem, it is confusing when researching Marine tank units. During Korea, for example reserve units were integrated with active duty units so the history is harder separate.

During GW, 2nd Marine Div was a mix of tank units. If I am reading it correctly they had the following Marine tank units attached:
A, B, C companies 2nd Tank Battalion (Active Duty) using M1A1
B, C Company 4th Tank (Reserve) using M1A1
A, C Company 8th Tank (Reserve) using M60A1

2 Likes

With the new-generation kits from RFM, Meng, and a few others that have the anti-slip, correct tracks, and a bunch more details, I wouldn’t waste my money on the Tamiya Abrams, or any Tamiya kit for that matter. Just because it is Tamiya, doesn’t make it better or good. They are generally less detailed, cut corners, and not up to current standards. Not a Tamiya devotee. I will only buy a Tamiya kit if no one else makes it.

2 Likes

Used to be that Tamiya were the only viable game in town, I mean going back to the 80s (for me). But nowadays there’s a bewildering array of manufacturers all upping their game (with some exceptions). Tamiya are a manufacturer I would still recommend to beginners. Its hard to beat their basic simplicity and to the untrained eye, the kit detail is fine.

I still buy Tamiya 1/48 aircraft though (Uhu in the stash). I would still say that they’re up there in terms of their aircraft kits.

3 Likes

That’s fine for you. I am not devotee of any manufacturer but not every project has to be a AMPS master build. Tamiya, Academy or Italeri can be a Abrams kit that meets the modeler needs and wants for a project. That Tamiya kit will look like a M1A1 to more than 95% of people looking at it on the shelf. Who are we to judge how a modeler chooses to enjoy the hobby?

5 Likes

Not judging anyone and yes, the companies you list can be made into great examples of Abrams. To me, they are not worth the extra effort to bring them up to the level of the newer generation of kits that are available instead, especially when Tamiya costs almost as much.

1 Like

I used the Ryefield ODS M1A1 to replicate my tank from 90-92.

18 Likes

Looks really nice. Great job on it.

4 Likes

Wow that came great. What did you use to weather it?

2 Likes

Thanks, I used oils and acrylics from MIg and Vellajo.

1 Like

A real nice job. The photo looks about 33 or 34 degrees and cold. This is a drivers day in the comfy spot. Whenever we were driving in the cold I would think I needed to get a head and shoulders mannequin to put up in the hatch so I could take a break and thaw my face.

4 Likes

Again great job Anthony

2 Likes

All M1 Abrams fielded had some kind of anti-slip on the upper surfaces, even the very early ones. However, the “grit” in some of the early anti-slip coatings was really fine and does not show up in photos. It was also hard to see in person from any distance (more than a couple feet) and frankly didn’t work worth a crap. The stuff used in the M1A1s had a course grit, which varied and improved as time passed. So most of the tanks used in ODS had a good coating of anti-slip on them.
Ken

4 Likes

Yeah it could really be abrasive on a uniform.

1 Like

After eyeballing the RFM decals I noticed that 2nd platoon of Bravo Company 4th Tanks is included. That seals the deal. However I have to order the bigfoot track because Bravo Company had the Big Foot track and the kit comes with the earlier track. Bummer, an extra $25. Does the acquisition and installation of “aftermarket” track make me a level 2 modeler… :thinking:

4 Likes

Interesting note. 2nd Marine Division used the 4 reserve tank companies up front with the active infantry regiments and 2nd Tank battalion followed as a reserve. There were rumors as to why but I wasn’t far enough up the chain to confirm or refute the rumors.

2 Likes

Based on the book, the perception of the Iraq forces power suggested y’all would be combat ineffective after artillery strikes breaching the berm. Interesting how the grunts didn’t want to give up the reserve unit tanks when given the chance.

At the end of the first day a lone 5 ton truck arrived with some ammo. We asked where the rest was and when it was coming. He said you were not supposed to be here so no more ammo had been ordered. Hummm…sorry to disappoint. We cross loaded.
We had a good working relationship with the grunts and felt it was our job to kick butt for them. We had practiced and rehearsed quite a bit with them so I don’t think they wanted to jump ship. Rumer was 2nd Tanks CO was a bit of a cowboy and was pushing things.

3 Likes