This is Tamiya’s Abrams M1A2 TUSK kit. Not the most detailed Abrams around, but an easy build and with some TLC, it looks the part. I added some missing details with aftermarket items and some scratchbuilding. All in all I’m happy with the result.
The concrete ‘Jersey’ barriers were from a set by Meng. It also included a two part mold so you can cast your own if you so desire.
I used 400 grit emery paper for the road surface.
The figures came with the kit, but I added the wires to their helmets. I also added the coiled wire for the commander’s spotlight. I wanted to add the reflective coating on the periscopes and other optics, so I picked up a set, from AFV Club IIRC. Trouble was they were designed for the Trumpeter kits and did not fit Tamiya’s. I was able to use some of them, but had to improvise by cutting my own from the excess film on the sheet.
The backboard was a resin item from Eureka XL. I used paper to make the straps for it and the two jerry cans. The decals used for the markings are from an Echelon set.
The rest of the stowage came from a couple of Legends’ sets for the Abrams. They give you a lot, so I have enough left over for one or two more builds at least.
I wondered how the spare roadwheel would’ve been attached. A little research showed that the crews used a guide tooth from the tracks as an improvised clamp to hold it to the stowage rack, so I did the same. The spare track links were also held in place by using a guide tooth to attach it to the rail.
The Duke antenna was a resin item, but I had to scratchbuild the box and ducting.
After painting. I also used Tamiya’s PE basket set. Much easier and better looking than the mesh net that comes in the kit.
Thanks for looking, questions and comments are welcomed.