M1A2 SEP v3

M1a2 SEP v3 tanks belonging to 2nd ABCT, 3rd ID (6/8 Cav, 2/69 Arm) at various locations (Ft. Stewart, NTC and in Poland).

11 Likes

Love how they caught the round mid-flight on this one. Definitely not an APFSDS.

5 Likes

If that’s real and they weren’t expecting it, I bet it scared the piss out of them.

1 Like

Cool pics, thanks for posting :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

I really hope that the v3 will be available in 1/35 soon! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They are just fine. I would not go forward of the front road wheels though. I am not sure where the true line of departure is for injury. Never tried exploring that point.

2 Likes

The safety area is two lines at roughly 45 degree angles from the front corners of the tank when the barrel is forward. The area they are in will be loud and they will be able to feel the shock wave, but that is about it.

Sorta like this.

1 Like

I’ve driven safety tracks/jeeps about as close as they are, no problem at all.

1 Like

Common since would be that the driver would have to be safe with the hatch open.

1 Like

Note to self,…Do not go forward of the pointy thing

4 Likes

Yeah, I was on the back deck when the M1A1 next to us fired.

That’s when I figured out the chinstrap was for holding the Kevlar on your head.

Never tried a completely open drivers hatch when firing, but I will tell you that a lot of crap will come in if you have it cracked.

2 Likes

Looks more like 30º

1 Like

As I recall old 60 TC’s would get a bloody nose if they tried track the round on the M1.

I don’t recall the distance but in front of the barrel some distance you can get hit the round casing material.

Not sure how “safe” one would call those but caution should be used around the barrel when firing, a ‘No Crap’ magazine exclusive article. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve been much closer on 155’s and not felt a “shcok wave,” and that’s a gun with a muzzle brake directing energy outward.

1 Like

I have had my head up out of the TC’s hatch firing the 120mm with no issues. What bothers me more was sitting next to a TC on the turret roof when the .50 was firing. Probably due to a different level of hearing protection.

3 Likes

It’s weird that you don’t feel it inside the turret.

Maybe it’s the Adrenaline?

Or the Erection?

Could be all that steel you are sitting in.

2 Likes

One of the worst pummelings I’ve taken with all the different weapons I’ve fired over the years was the DShK.

3 Likes

I’ve stood up in the loaders hatch when the main gun fired with no problem. Also been up top when the tank next to fired. Scared the crap out of me, but didn’t hurt me any.
Ken

3 Likes

Looks like VOIIO is releasing a kit of the v.3 US Main Battle Tank M1A2 SEP V3 Abrams (Plastic model) - HobbySearch Military Model Store (1999.co.jp)

2 Likes