M29 Weasel and Typhoon-K from TAKOM | Armorama™

This is good news, I am sure they will do the C variant which is the one that best fits my needs.

2 Likes

Yes indeed, that little Weasel looks very nice, kudos to Takom for this model kit of a vehicle that covers 3 combat era’s (although come to think of it I don’t recall seeing any photo’s of an M29 in Korea, hmm).

Cajun :crocodile:

3 Likes

M29 Weasel of First Marine Division communication section in Korean war

4 Likes

Yep, it’s my limited understanding that is a 29C version with a different front.

1 Like

Aaaargh! What do I do with my Monogram kit now?

Interestingly enough, I beleive British Armoured regiments had a couple of these on their establishment. I can’t quite recall where I came across this though.

1 Like

Build it for the Summer Nostalgia campaign.

2 Likes

Yes, the amphibious version was the M29C. It has the rounded bow and rudders on the stern. The Monogram kit is an M29C.

1 Like

Dont know what all the fuss is about.

Just get one of these and put tracks on it ?

6 Likes

British Army

Amphibious M29 Weasels of 4th Special Service Brigade were used by British commando troops in the Walcheren operation, supplementing LVT Buffalos. The 79th Armoured Division used also non-amphibious variant of the Weasel, modified for clearing anti-personnel devices. The Lovat Scouts used the amphibious Weasel during their time in Jasper, Alberta, where they were being trained in advanced winter and mountain warfare tactics, having already carried out the basic winter and mountain combat training in the Scottish Highlands and North Wales.

Non-amphibious Weasels were also used by British Infantry Divisions fighting in the Saar-Moselle Triangle, as they were often the only means of getting supplies forward.

After the war they were kept in service for a few years.

2 Likes

I know the French used the M29C in Indochina, but not sure if they had any of the other ones. Wayne

1 Like

Or build it for the upcoming Great Ones tribute campaign! The Great Ones - Campaigns & Group Builds / Staging Area - KitMaker Network

I’d even take it off your hands to build for that one, if the price is right…

4 Likes

The Weasel is the most overlooked American vehicle during the invasion of France and afterward, not as large as a Universal Carrier but vital to bringing supplies and evacuating the wounded where there was a water obstacle or deep mud to contend with. In books about that period and place, as well as YouTube videos taken by Signal Corps photographers, the Weasel is seen in abundance.
But dang, I have two LM resin kits in line to be built. Ill go for a couple of the Takoms.

2 Likes

Kudos to them for finally producing a Weasel. Much better then another couple of Hetzer releases.

1 Like

I’ll get 'em both. I nearly bought the resin one a few months back.

1 Like

It’s about time!!! Takom - do it in 1/16 as well!!!

1 Like

The basic M29 weasel was the Snow Cat of its day. When the First Special Service Force was originally conceived, they were to be equipped with these vehicles and inserted into Norway for mobile guerrilla warfare.

That is one kit that will be high on my list of “to get”. Bravo Takom!!!
(funny how an armor modeling company has a similar name to US Army Tank and Automotive Command, TACOM)

1 Like

We need a new Ontos !

3 Likes

My track record (no pun intended) re campaigns isn’t, sadly, very good; I get far too distracted and go off on tangents, which all eats into the time allotted for the campaign project. My Fog of War input, and epic fail, is a case in point (although I’m beavering away on it now).

2 Likes

I’m aware of the inclusion in Walcheren et al, I’m just sure I’ve seen mention of them in an armoured regiment. It was probably in a biography or similar such as “Flesh Wounds”, “Warriors for the Working Day” or perhaps Stuart Hills’ “By Tank into Normandy”; I’ll have to do some reading!

1 Like

There is only a handful who are always successful or so it seems with completing campaigns. I am not in that category, I have more goose eggs then successes but it’s still fun to try. There is usually a generic shelf queen campaign that it can roll into if not completed in time.

2 Likes