M2A1 Bradley ODS build

Bashed together this Bradley turret to see if it resembles what an M2A1 turret should look like. Still need to plug a few holes and add the smoke launchers. I may even add the antenna guard on the side, but don’t know if it was there on the A1.

Just wanted to see what the experts think.

8 Likes

Yes, the antenna guard was on the A1. It was actually a late M2 mod.

1 Like

Excellent. I have the part already cut and ready to install. I’ll have to plug the hols for the smoke launcher rounds and the side ones that were for the .30 cal ammo holders. thin strip of round styrene and some strapping around some of the extra .30 cal ammo cans that go on the side of the M2 will then replicate the cans that were usually strapped down there.

1 Like

Well? Plugging the holes on the turret with some Mr. Dissolved Putty from Mr. Hobby.

When they say “Use in a well ventilated area”, they’re not joking. I used a few drop and the smell is really strong. Please use a mask.

I put some styrene backing on one part, but not on the rest; hopefully it’ll dry strong enough to be sanded smooth.

2 Likes

Yup, it is starting to look like an M2A1.

It’s certainly coming along. Nothing wrong with your hole plugging method, but I use a faster, less smelly method:

Stretch out a piece of sprue from the same kit. Snip out the middle string until you’re left with two tapered pieces. Slather liquid cement on the taper and insert it forcefully into the hole. After a few hours you can slice the stub off with a chisel blade, often with absolutely no sanding. In fact in most cases it’s very difficult to see where the hole was initially.

5 Likes

This is really good advice - using plastic from he sprue of the same kit.
Plugging holes, slicing slivers to fill other gaps - because it’s the same plastic any sanding doesn’t suffer the resistance of two different materials.

2 Likes

Threw a quick coat of Mr. Surfacer to see how it came out and I approve. Just as expected, though I still had to apply a couple drops on thf left side of thd turret so it will blend.

Looks great IMO.

2 Likes

Added the periscope guard to the driver’s hatch and plopped the A1 turret on my already-built M2 chassis. I believe this definitely looks better.

Doing the comparison.

3 Likes

Its looking pretty nice. Looks like an M2A1 to me.

Looking good.

One thing, the M2a1 had firing ports, not the closed off Cav version. And yes we used
them during Desert Storm.

You can see the barrel of the M231 sticking out of the firing port in this pic of me by my M2a1 during
Desert Storm

3 Likes

The Bradley in this pic is from my company (C 3-15) its a 2nd plt. vehicle

Dammit. I’m gonna have to carve out the firing ports.

Good this I have two sets of them.

1 Like

Yeah. You guys were across the parking lot from my old unit. 2-7th Inf. - Cottonbalers.

2 Likes

Yep

VICTORY!
26994129_1591983880837369_8634425219072248027_n

2 Likes

4 Likes

Man,
you got me wanting to build another M2a1.

I wonder if the Tamiya M2 kit is still available?

2 Likes

Plenty available on eBay.

Vanilla M2, M2A2 “Super Bradley” and M2A2 ODS.

2 Likes

I am about done with my M2a2 ODS kit. Maybe I can finish it now that the holidays are over.

Off to ebay.

2 Likes

Turret is complete. Updates to the hull are done. Needs decals and a few extra details.

7 Likes